PDA

View Full Version : OT $800 van repair for$30 and it was easyI

Edwin Dirnbeck
05-12-2011, 10:25 PM
My Ford aerostar van had a hard start promlem.The problem was a bad fuel line check valve which is located on the fuel pump IN THE GAS TANK.This is a very common problem an many vehicles.When you try to start your engine, if the computer doesnt see pressure in 1 second it turns off the fuel pump and no amount of cranking will start your car.You must turn the key off and try again .On the third try the fuel line is full and the car usually starts.It is a nasty and expensive job to remove the fuel tank.I looked on line and there was one company ''s u r and r'' on amazon that sold me an add on check valve kit for $30.It was easy to install and worked perfect .My van now starts instantly.I have no connection to s u r and r ,they make a good product.I hope this will help others .Edwin Dirnbeck

saltmine
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Wrong.

The fuel pump relay is connected to a timing circuit and the engine's oil pressure switch.

When the key is turned to the "ON" position the relay is activated and it runs the fuel pump for 5-7 seconds, to prime the fuel rail. Once this timer stops, the fuel pump circuit waits for the oil pressure switch to close, indicating to the ECU that the engine is running, or there is sufficent oil pressure for it to run safely. A loss of oil pressure will shut the fuel pump down, thus saving your engine.

The fuel pump on your Aerostar has a check valve. Like every other fuel injected car on the road. When the pump is close to failure, the check valve will bleed off fuel pressure while it's parked. No, the check valve in your fuel pump is not servicable or accessable, even if you pulled out the fuel tank.
The check valve is part of the fuel pump.
There is also a check valve on the fuel rail of your van, built into the fuel pressure regulator. It too is not servicable, but if it starts to fail, fuel will be bypassed back into the tank, while the van is parked.

It's clever of the guy to sell "check valve kits"...You probably paid enough for the kit to buy a half-a-dozen check valves at the auto parts store.

Good idea? Not really. To quote an old Viet Nam saying," It's like putting a band aide on a sucking chest wound."

winchman
05-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Amazon wouldn't let them sell it if it wasn't a really good thing, would they?

Edwin Dirnbeck
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Wrong.

The fuel pump relay is connected to a timing circuit and the engine's oil pressure switch.

When the key is turned to the "ON" position the relay is activated and it runs the fuel pump for 5-7 seconds, to prime the fuel rail. Once this timer stops, the fuel pump circuit waits for the oil pressure switch to close, indicating to the ECU that the engine is running, or there is sufficent oil pressure for it to run safely. A loss of oil pressure will shut the fuel pump down, thus saving your engine.

The fuel pump on your Aerostar has a check valve. Like every other fuel injected car on the road. When the pump is close to failure, the check valve will bleed off fuel pressure while it's parked. No, the check valve in your fuel pump is not servicable or accessable, even if you pulled out the fuel tank.
The check valve is part of the fuel pump.
There is also a check valve on the fuel rail of your van, built into the fuel pressure regulator. It too is not servicable, but if it starts to fail, fuel will be bypassed back into the tank, while the van is parked.

It's clever of the guy to sell "check valve kits"...You probably paid enough for the kit to buy a half-a-dozen check valves at the auto parts store.

Good idea? Not really. To quote an old Viet Nam saying," It's like putting a band aide on a sucking chest wound."
My in tank checkvalve was bad.The $30 add on valve fixed the problem.My van starts instantly now.$30 seems like a good deal to me.Edwin

Black_Moons
05-12-2011, 11:51 PM
I got one better for ya. My lawnmower main jet gets cloged every year or two, and you gotta take apart the carb to get at it.. Well, That costs ya $13 because you need to replace a gasket that gets ruined every time you open the carb float bowl because its degraded and is a weird shape and such and never surives the process when its old.

Got sick and tired of this BS, So I tryed just spraying some carb cleaner fluid into the air filter and this little hole in the primer bulb (Very odd little hole)

Did'nt really help it any, though it fired for a second or two before dying.
Then said.. Well damn, Lets try something crazy cause I don't wanna open that damn thing again and pay another $14 just for ONE gasket (Cause you can't get the gasket outside the kit.. at least not easily)
So I take my air blowoff gun, put it to that little hole in the primer, and give it a blast of air. Then try and start it..
v..v...v...vrrrrrmmmm! it goes!

$0 fix for a $14 yearly problem! And basicly 15 seconds to fix next time.

GKman
05-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Black Moons,
Like the sound of that. Could you post a photo of that Carb hole?