PDA

View Full Version : Cross refferance # for a timing belt

8ntsane
05-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Hello everyone

I am trying to get replacement belts for my Induma Milling Machine 9X42 with the Vari-speed head.. It is a Italian made BP clone.
The number on the belt says Continental 20/90 RA6
Ive called around in the Toronto area, and come up with, sorry that is not a good #, Or sorry I cant help you, as we have no listing of that #.
The best I got was if you could bring us the belt, maybe we could match it up!

Well, the machine is still in service, and running. I want to replace the belts because Ive had this mill for a number of yrs, and have no idea if the belts have ever been replaced. I would like to obtain new belts now, before a failure.

Thanks

Evan
05-14-2011, 12:13 AM
I will guess that it is 20 mm wide and 90 cm long. Next is the tooth profile and the tooth pitch. Any idea?

Here are the available tooth profiles.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/timingbelts.gif

wierdscience
05-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Maybe try the belt mfg?

http://www.contitech.de/pages/produkte/antriebsriemen/antrieb-industrie/antrieb-industrie_en.html

Did Induma go t-up?

8ntsane
05-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks Evan for the chart.
I havnt yet removed the excisting belt, but the chart you provided would aleast point to the proper type. Im sure there is a # that cross ref to the # on my belt. Im just trying to avoid tearing the top of the machine down to find out.

As for Induma, yes I think they have finally closed there doors. Weird, I did find a site on a net a few weeks back, and I did e-mail them, and got absolutly no response back. Hell, I figured I had found the right place to get a belt, Continental, and they had that little horse on the logo, just like the belt has. I figured it should be easy to obtain being I had the belt part # and brand.

I will check the site you linked as well. I would like to get both belts, but the other belt appears to be just a run of the mill V-belt, and dont see any number on it. I do have a question if anyone knows? Is the V-belt Im seeing in there, just to drive the back gear, or am I missunderstanding somthing?

I had watched a Tubal Cain Vid way back, and he said the timing belt was for back gear. I find that hard to beleive really, as from looking at my var-speed set up, if the T-belt was to break , I wount have a connection to the spindle, or any speed control. Just like to know , whitch one does what?
Or are they both part of the combo that if either let go, Im screwed?

Either way, Ill check that site weird sent, thanks
and if at worst, Evans chart should identify what Induma put in there.
I will pull the top end apart if need be, I dont need to try and match a belt up when its shredded to pieces.

Good infro so far
Thanks guys

gvasale
05-14-2011, 05:49 AM
I got a belt from them a few years back. P*sses me off about how damn hard it was to get. The belt has a Fenner number, but no one seem to be able to get it. I can't get the number until later today. If its still visible, I'll post it for you.

wierdscience
05-14-2011, 07:31 AM
I will check the site you linked as well. I would like to get both belts, but the other belt appears to be just a run of the mill V-belt, and dont see any number on it. I do have a question if anyone knows? Is the V-belt Im seeing in there, just to drive the back gear, or am I missunderstanding somthing?

I had watched a Tubal Cain Vid way back, and he said the timing belt was for back gear. I find that hard to beleive really, as from looking at my var-speed set up, if the T-belt was to break , I wount have a connection to the spindle, or any speed control. Just like to know , whitch one does what?
Or are they both part of the combo that if either let go, Im screwed?
Thanks guys

Yes,the V-belt does drive the spindle in both high and low range.In Hi it drives straight through the spindle pulley/quill drive.In Low(back gear) it drives indirectly though the timing belt and backgear box.If the timing belt breaks you can still run the mill in Hi range,but not low.

I may be all wet here,but there is a metric timing belt that features a 20mm width and 90 teeth with a 8mm tooth pitch.The outside length is 720mm which sounds about right for a b-port clone.
*That could be what the part number refers to with the 20/90 thing*

8ntsane
05-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Weird
I tryed the link you had posted for me. I was much easyer to navigate than the one I found a few weeks back. I have sent them a e-mail, but being the weekend, I dont expect any reply till next monday at best. Being this machine is made in Italy, Im certain that this machine would have metric parts in it. You may well be correct about the 20/90 thing. I will see if Continental replys this time, I hoping to get replacement belts soon.

gsvale

Is your machine a vari-speed head Induma? It sure would be a big help if you know the fenner #, if by chance you can see the # on the lower V belt could you get that for me too? I know on my VS head, getting a look inside is easy if you remove the 2-bolts on the front, and remove the tachometer.

Thanks guys

gvasale
05-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I got the number for the belt for my Induma mill. My machine is not variable speed, however. The belt is a Fenner 40173, the belt says make in UK. 1 1/4", must mean the width? I had no scale in my pocket to measure. Still doesnt solve the supply problem I'm sure.

8ntsane
05-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the fenner belt #, now Ill have to if that # makes any sense to these belt supplyers.

As mentioned, Continental still cant be bothered to e-mail me back on thereown belt number. Thanks for getting the infro.