PDA

View Full Version : OT.... computers, Cisco, wireless, all stink

J Tiers
05-15-2011, 12:43 PM
The original SP3 issue was merely because my nice new Cisco E2000 wireless router needed SP3, or claimed to.

So I made it happy, eventually....... (Thanks Evan for the prod to look at the HP site, where the "secret upgrade" was)

Now the router connects fine straight thru, but no wireless to the Dell 600. The connection is claimed to be good, with strong signal, but no data moves.

Naturally, if I plug the old D-Link wireless back in, everything is fine, but the old thing gets clogged up with addresses and goes dead for a few min at a time, which is why I wanted to upgrade it.

Cisco software says to call them. So I talk to some severely ESL folks in New Delhi via phone and chat.... they can't solve the problem.

The D-Link was easy to set up, even though I had to type in various things etc, etc. The Cisco made it really easy, just take a thumb drive around and plug into each unit and poof all is good. Except it isn't.

I think they made it too easy... Cisco router is going back to MicroCenter ASAP.

RenoF250
05-15-2011, 12:59 PM
How long are you waiting on the Cisco? Some combinations seem to take forever to get setup. My laptop can take 10 minutes or so when it is plugged in.

macona
05-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Cisco/Linksys routers are generally the best one out there.

Even at that, the first thing I do is eliminate the onboard firmware and replace it with DD-WRT: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000

Offers a lot more features.

ikdor
05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Cisco/Linksys routers are generally the best one out there.

IMHO Linksys quality has gone down over the years in the battle for the lowest cost. I bought a new WRT610N to replace an old WRT54G set and I got worse range and links dropped every few minutes. I had to replace the firmware with DDWRT to make it useable.
I'll spare you my horrible experiences with their wireless network cameras.

Cisco might still be good, but I'm running from the Linksys branded stuff.
(note that all my problems were with v1.0 hardware versions, they do seem to keep developing their routers under the same model number)

Igor

J Tiers
05-15-2011, 06:20 PM
How long are you waiting on the Cisco? Some combinations seem to take forever to get setup. My laptop can take 10 minutes or so when it is plugged in.

You reckon an hour or so is OK? I waited that long diddling around, still no go.

I know what you mean..... the laptop reports a connection for several minutes after it goes down.... sometimes.

I am now wondering if the protection type is wrong...... the laptop is older, and may or may not support WPA2 or whatever. Might have to look around at settings again.

it's still funny that the old worthless D-Link that fills up and drops connections works right away, all I have to do is plug it in and I am back on the air...........But of course the CISCO tech support people (very ESL) are blaming all problems on it, presumably just because it is not theirs.

lakeside53
05-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Try configuring it manually - on all machines -and start with no security.

Are you using "windows" to manage your wireless connections or the Cisco package (on each machine)?

MrSleepy
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Only XP service pack 3 supports WPA2-personal AES natively..

Which I assume is the reason they wanted you to update.

If you had Belkin gear...you would have been able to use WPA2-personal on older service packs..as it replaces the windows services.

Rob

J Tiers
05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Using the Cisco stuff.... or trying to.... but looking at the windows page to see if the connection is there.... THAT page reports a good conn with high signal (it better, they are a few feet apart), but no joy on actual transmission (yes I moved them apart in case of overload, no diff).

The plug-in and play thumb drive system is what I tried to use.

Interestingly, the Cisco setup says the "guest" network is passworded, but the windows page reports it as unprotected.

Oddly, a third computer was able to easily use the thumb drive system. Anotehr dell, a 610 instead of 600, also with SP3.. Maybe SP3 upgrade on the 600 messed with the drivers...... A visit to Dell may be in order.

Currently using all same computer hardware, etc but with the D-Link again. Works great, except for dropout issues blamed on full cache

However, the Cisco cannot be connected to even if there is NO security enabled. Not by this computer.

lakeside53
05-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Generally.... if you are using the Cisco (or other manf.) package to administer the wireless connections, you can't use the built-in Windows stuff, and vice versa. Choose one, on all computers. Thumb system (cisco, microsoft or whomever) - I ignore that and just set each of mine up manually - takes seconds per.

I'd uninstall the cisco packge (as a test), set the Cisco WAP via the web interface, then use window on each machine to detect and connect to the WAP. If that all works (how could it not :) ), try the Cisco SW again.

J Tiers
05-15-2011, 10:36 PM
It does NOT work, actually...... the windows stuff declares the wireless connected, but it does not function.

Now, the first response is that the wireless card is defective...... but that I know not to be the case, since it works with the D-Link, AND I drove down to the nearest Panera Bread (actually a St Louis Bread Co, same thing), which has an open WWAN, and I was connected there right away, no hassle, FROM OUT IN THE PARKING LOT.

The only problem I can see is that the Intel 2100 supports WPA and WEP, but not the default WPA2 of the Cisco. However, that should be detected and corrected for, because surely Cisco knows about that possibility and has dealt with it.....Since it is not detected, I assume it isn't the issue. (I bet that is wrong, but I have "every right" to assume it is correct)

That was also a troubleshooting factor, setting it for WEP and WPA. And I also set it for open, no protection, and it STILL didn't work although it was shown as "connected" by WinBlows.

of course, as soon as you make the tiniest change, the Linksys software throws up it's hands and says "it's all up to you now, you CHANGED something and maybe nothing will work". it even makes you accept that with an "OK?" box.......

I could install an updated card, but I have already bent over backwards trying to get this system to work.......... all I need is to put a new card in and have no change, or more likely, quite a few added problems.

I probably just need to return it before it goes on the trebuchet........ So I get the money back....

J Tiers
05-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Now I am not entirely sure what to load in the trebuchet.....

The 600, with miniPCI slot, can accept the Dell 1370 802.11 b/g card, but the 610 that works has a miniPCI-e slot and takes an "802.11 n" card......

I suspect the "g" will be OK, and I can get one inexpensively, so will probably try that first. I am probably already past the no questions return time, due to the *&^%$#@! "micro-soft-in-the-head" SP3 problem.

lakeside53
05-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Your "N" cards will also work with B&G.

J Tiers
05-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Your "N" cards will also work with B&G.

yeah, but not with the 600....... only the 610. no PCIe slots

Tuckerfan
05-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I loved Linksys stuff until they were bought out by Cisco. Now, everything seems to crap out literally the day after the warranty expires. I've also discovered that the Cisco software is fecal matter and if I ditch it and use the native stuff in Windows, I never have any problems with devices connecting.

J Tiers
05-19-2011, 12:07 AM
You would think that a large company like Cisco would KNOW what equipment is compatible with their equipment, WHEN that other equipment is made by a big company like Intel, or Dell......

But Mr Patel, and Ms Mukerjee, and their various friends were TOTALLY unaware that the Intel 2100 card is NOT compatible with the E2000.

They went through their little scripts and tried the standard stuff, and then gave up and blamed the computer. Only partly right, since the card and not the computer was at fault. And not at all helpful in determining if their equipment was going to be able to work with ours.

I had to get, from a 3rd party, the info that the Intel card was "iffy". I then got, from Dell, for the munificent sum of $20 plus nominal shipping, a refurbished Dell 1370 802.11 b/g card, which connected up first try in the Dell 600.

In fact, it is now the Dell 610, with a Dell 1470 dual band card, that is the problem, since it actually connects, but is not reported by the cisco software as connected, which may be an issue in future.

It was NOT the issue originally, it worked fine. And, frankly, it seems to work fine now too, I am not sure what the "registration" of the laptop with the router actually does...........

The Dell 600 is happily connected and registered with the software now.

Someone needs to clue in Mr Patel and Ms Mukerjee about slightly more wide horizons to their helping......

Now, I KNOW that companies now are NOT INTERESTED in making sure their customers are able to use the company's stuff..... they are ONLY interested in assuring that whatever problem exists is not in "their" stuff, and that they are able to disclaim all responsibility or help.

When this occurs "from both sides", it gets to be a problem.