PDA

View Full Version : Copper Plating Using derust Rig.

madman
05-16-2011, 08:52 AM
My Derusting Project worked OK. Not as well as I had hoped but... NOW if i hooked up a block of Copper to the negative and the part (steel motorbike clutch plate) to the Positive would it actually copper plate the Motorcycle Clutch plate it is made of steel? ) I dont have a spare to mess with , was wondering about this. Thanx Mike

Jaakko Fagerlund
05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need a copper containing electrolyte also, like copper sulphate or the like.

Westline
05-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Jaakko is correct the plating comes from the electrolyte not the electrode.
We used copper sulphate in school and it works pretty well, but I'm sure you can use pretty much any copper containing electrolyte just be aware of the polarity of you electrodes and some electrolytes can give off some nasty gasses.

J. Randall
05-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Probably get some copper sulfate crystals at a farm store, sometimes used to kill roots in sewer lines, and might be the same ingredient used as stump killer. Another use for it is dissolve in water, add a few drops of battery acid, and it makes a fair layout dye.
James

CCWKen
05-17-2011, 01:22 AM
You have the anode and cathode reversed. For plating, you want the anode connected to positive. This is your copper. The part to be plated is connected to negative. The guys are correct. The electrolyte provides the plating ions. The copper anode is used to replace the ions used up in the plating process. The electrolyte not only has to be conductive but also must be capable of accelerating anode erosion (providing copper ions). And forget about using an acid base electrolyte for steel. It will self-plate without current but won't stick. For steel, you'll need an alkaline based electrolyte.

mf205i
05-17-2011, 04:39 AM
In the rust removal process, the part is connected to negative and the electrolyte is sodium carbonate. The polarity is the same as electroplating.
Mike

radkins
05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
The part to be plated is connected to negative.

Would that not be backward, electricity flows from negative to positive so connected that way it looks as if the current would be flowing the wrong way. When plating shouldn't the part polarity be opposite of de-rusting?

Edit, after re-reading I think this post looks as if I was disagreeing but I was actually asking because it seems confusing to me and I too have been considering an attempt at home plating..

Black_Moons
05-17-2011, 09:21 AM
When derusting, your 'unplating' the rusty part and plating the other electrode. So yes, the polarity is reversed from normal plating.

madman
05-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Where is a good place to buy this stuff? Can it be used and thern stored in airtight bottle for reuse? Thanx Guys

radkins
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Where is a good place to buy this stuff?

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html

madman
05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
HA hA after my misadventures with Wash Soda and now having a LifeLong Supply I also just found out that the Feed stores have 50 pound bags for 74 dollars, or a 500 gram size. Thanx allMike (future electroplater)

radkins
05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
You have the anode and cathode reversed. For plating, you want the anode connected to positive. This is your copper. The part to be plated is connected to negative.

I was puzzled and questioned that (I was asking not disagreeing) but I did a check with Caswell plating and I found a tutorial that confirms that is indeed correct. I am still puzzled at how it works considering the direction of electron flow but there is no question that the above connections are correct.

ed_h
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
In the electrolyte, you are more concerned with the movements of the metal ions, which have a positive charge. They will be attracted to the negative (cathode) pole.

aboard_epsilon
05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Probably get some copper sulfate crystals at a farm store, sometimes used to kill roots in sewer lines, and might be the same ingredient used as stump killer. Another use for it is dissolve in water, add a few drops of battery acid, and it makes a fair layout dye.
James

bet they havnt got the copper sulphate when you go there ..its probably been banned for the use on gardens or field .

all the best.markj

CCWKen
05-17-2011, 03:27 PM
The de-rusting process is not plating nor is it stripping (de-plating). It's a conversion process of ferric oxides. That's why you have the black coating left after the process.

Copper Sulfate is sold as root killer down here and available at most garden centers and hardware stores. But as I noted, don't use acid if you plate steel. Use Potassium Hydroxide and keep the Ph no lower than 10 or higher than 11. Don't substitute Sodium Hydroxide (common lye) for the Potassium Hydroxide (also a lye). After you mix the electrolyte, do a few high current plate-outs on scrap metal to remove contaminates that will be in your chemicals. (Lead, iron, arsenic, etc.) This will also erode your anode and prep it for plating good copper.