PDA

View Full Version : Canadian source for inexpensive timing pulleys

Mcgyver
05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
went in to get some timing pulleys, L 24 teeth x 1 inch, and am suffering sticker shock at $33 + tax. I need six.

Any sources for low cost ones? princess auto maybe? This is something where I would like to buy the $4 Chinese version if there's such a thing.

the Other idea, buy an extrusion and roll your own....if I did that would it work having both pulleys flange-less?

MotorradMike
05-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Have you checked that surplus store on Queen St. with the bear outside?
I seem to remember them having lots of stuff like that downstairs.

drmico60
05-16-2011, 03:56 PM
You can always bolt some sheet metal flanges to the unflanged timing pulleys.
Mike

Evan
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
I make most of mine. Flangeless works fine if one of the pulleys has flanges. If the drive only rotates in one direction then only one flange is required. If both are flangeless the belt will walk off. It's easy to add a flange, a washer will do.

To make my pulleys I still use my hand slotter on my SB9. It's pretty quick in aluminimum (combo spelling :D ) and any profile is possible.

http://ixian.ca/pics8/slotter1.jpg

Mcgyver
05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
thanks for ideas, hadn't worked with them before so didn't realize about the flanging/direction....they're for the cnc mill so both need flanging. Mike, forgot about Active, thanks,...sent them an email

Dunc
05-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Motorrad Mike - pls post the name/address &/or website.
Thanks

Mcgyver
05-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Active Surplus. The pic is a gorilla not a bear, I thought it was one of the guys here but no its a gorilla. The also have a suburban location, easier to drive to/park, and they'll send stuff from downtown to the outskirts if you need them to