PDA

View Full Version : Skype

brian Rupnow
05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
At the urging of one of my customers in Toronto, I have purchased a web-cam and downloaded Skype which is a free program that lets you speak with anyone/anywhere in the world who is similarly equipped and see them in real time. It seems very weird and Buck Rogerish to me, but it will be valuable as a business tool to discuss machines over the internet. I can also display whatever is on the screen of my computer, or hand drawn sketches, and the customer can similarly show me what he is talking about. I have always had the thought lurking in the back of my head that only perverts would use this type of equipment, however, now I get to see if it will be of value to cut down on the travel back and forth to customers who are far away from me. Customers are all whining like hell about paying my travel time to their offices, and I am whining like hell about the cost of gasoline, so there may be a big benefit here. If not, then I was probably right about the perverts, and will send a picture of my fat hairy butt to the customer that suggested this in the first place!!!---Brian

jstinem
05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Your right about the perverts because only because humans can figure out how to pervert anything...Absolutely anything.

Steve Steven
05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Bryan,
I use Skype when I travel in Europe, works great! $.06 per minute is cheap and I can call almost anywhere, calls to Skype computers are free.
Steve

mochinist
05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Your right about the perverts because only because humans can figure out how to pervert anything...Absolutely anything.Rule 34.....

rythmnbls
05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I use it to to talk to (and see) my family back in Australia, not quite as good as being there, but better than the 20+ hours of flying ;)

Steve.

john11668
05-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I find it invaluable to talk to my daughter in the states.
Her mum and sister do too( calls lasting 2.5 hours are not uncommon)
Recently a road trip LA to Baltimore was planned on skype ( all afternoon job)
Would not want to try that on a telephone

lazlo
05-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Your right about the perverts because only because humans can figure out how to pervert anything...Absolutely anything.

Well, considering that Microsoft is buying Skype for $8.5 Billion, I think you'll find a different kind of perversion :)

justanengineer
05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I have used Skype, but it is mainly a personal tool. There are many others that are more business oriented which include file sharing and the ability to view another's computer screen as if it were your own. Use them everyday at work and they are invaluable. If it works for you and is free, go for it.

KIMFAB
05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
When you set up Skype go to the privacy settings and accept calls only from your call list or you will be getting calls from an unfortunate 26 yr old American girl stuck in England after her father died leaving her millions and she needs someone who will help and she will give you a few million if only you will give her your bank account number. Phew!

Other than that it works good and $3.00/mo for all the long distance calls you can make is a great deal.

That may change tho with our boy bill running the show.

Astronowanabe
05-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Microsoft just bought them for something like 8.5 billion.

kf2qd
05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Skype works well, doesn't use a lot of bandwidth and unless you are trying to comnnect with cell phones or landlines it is free. I use it to talk with my son in the Army in Korea, my dad in Ohio and an old friend in NY.

What kind of webcam did you get - My dad found that Skype doesn't behave very well with the first one he got. I use an old PS2 webcam and it works well for video and sound. I also have a USB headset that came with Rosetta Stone that works well also. Skype does some really cool software noise cancelling so you don't have to worry about echo or feedback through the speakers. We can carry on conversations from anywhere in our large living room.

Black Forest
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I sure hope your customers like the Skype thing Brian. The thought of your butt filling the screen made my computer crash! I had to reboot.

RichardG
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Skype works good I talk to my son in England ever week you can send files to .
Richard

DougA
05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
In the past we always had a little Monday morning meeting between the sales team and the service guys. It was getting tough to get everyone together regularly and with gas prices getting high we now hold them from our homes on Skype. We have had a couple technical glitches but other than that I like it. We don't do the video thing because that seems weird but other than that I like it.

brian Rupnow
05-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Okay---I found out today that even with the "free" Skype, I can "share" my computer screen with whoever I am talking to. Since I design in 3D, that works great, because I can rotate the model and show the person I am talking to exactly what aspect of the job I want to discuss.---Brian

wizatnight
05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Okay---I found out today that even with the "free" Skype, I can "share" my computer screen with whoever I am talking to. Since I design in 3D, that works great, because I can rotate the model and show the person I am talking to exactly what aspect of the job I want to discuss.---Brian

Interesting. With Microsoft buying it, there could be more in the works.

Alistair Hosie
05-17-2011, 04:50 PM
When Ewen my youngest son was in Japan for nigh on thre years I found this a great tool to be able to see his wonderful faceand talk to him and his friends .So from a doting father to anyone listening I too am in awe of the system. Alistair

lugnut
05-17-2011, 04:53 PM
We used Skype for awhile to keep in touch with the kids and grand kids, But we now use ooVoo which is much better with the sound. and you can have more than one person on at a time.:)

john11668
05-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Cost nothing if you are already on unlimited broadband.
But yeah
Do restrict calls to those you have accepted onto your calls list.
This is not difficult .
Skype seems to be introducing multicalls , never tried it though. Must give it a shot

Dave S.
05-17-2011, 05:21 PM
My friends in England and I do three and four way call regular with no problems in sound quality.

Brian talk more about screen sharing, as in how is it set up and where do I find it in the menu system.

Dave

Tom S
05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
We use Go To Meeting quite a bit at work. It lets us have up to 24 people in a meeting, lets you share screens (anyone can show their screen), and the audio can be through a computer or phone (and each person can control their own audio)

jugs
05-17-2011, 06:13 PM
[quote=KIMFAB] you will be getting calls from an unfortunate 26 yr old American girl stuck in England after her father died leaving her millions and she needs someone who will help and she will give you a few million if only you will give her your bank account number. Phew!

quote]

Next time she calls, if she's good looking, pass her on to me, I'm perverted enough to try a rich woman...... instead of the local sheep.

http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/emoticons/Animal%20Emoticons/smiley%20sheep.gif

john
:)

brian Rupnow
05-17-2011, 06:14 PM
My friends in England and I do three and four way call regular with no problems in sound quality.

Brian talk more about screen sharing, as in how is it set up and where do I find it in the menu system.

Dave

When I use Skype there is a floating toolbar just below the vid screen part with a number of icons on it. If you hover your cursor over them they will give a pop up sub menu in text telling you what they do. I think you just click on "share" and follow the instructions. I've only used it twice now, so I'm probably a poor person to ask.---Brian

lazlo
05-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Next time she calls, if she's good looking, pass her on to me, I'm perverted enough to try a rich woman...... instead of the local sheep.

You realize it's actually an old guy in Nigeria, right? :p

jugs
05-17-2011, 06:40 PM
You realize it's actually an old guy in Nigeria, right? :p

Well thats ok, I'm a broad minded, non racest, pervert. :D

john
:)

M.I. Twice
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Right on we have family in N.S.W. and the trip is long or longer with the stop overs, like eight hours in Vancouver and 2 in Hawaii making the trip about 23 hours.
Regards

sasquatch
05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Brian promise us you won,t "Flash" your'e butt image on this site!!!!

George and the crew just got this site fixed, don,t want it messed up again!!!:D

brian Rupnow
05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Brian promise us you won,t "Flash" your'e butt image on this site!!!!

George and the crew just got this site fixed, don,t want it messed up again!!!:D
Heck---I wouldn't really do that to my enemys----let alone my friends. ---But it sure makes a nasty threat!!!!

sasquatch
05-17-2011, 09:13 PM
A few of the female machinist here said it'd be ok, as long as you wore your'e thong!!!!

(Hmmm, how did they know about the thong??):rolleyes:

brian Rupnow
05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Okay guys---You're all safe.---Nobodys gonna see my hairy butt!!! Skype (well actually my $102.00 web-cam/microphone, since Skype itself is free) paid for itself yesterday. I am designing a tool adapter that allows Generous Motors to pick up an automatic tranmission on the line for assembly to an engine. It had to fit in with some existing handling mechanisms which were designed and built by my direct customer. Instead of spending 3 hours driving to and from the customers, we were able to set up a Skype call between owner, engineer, and myself and thru voice audio and exchange of screen shots (and some hastily sketched hand sketches held up in front of the camera) we were able to work out any design issues without me leaving Barrie. I am still a bit of a Klutz at manipulating between face shots and screen shots, but that will improve with use.----Brian

planeman
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM
I have Skype too and think its great!

You mention "I can also display whatever is on the screen of my computer". I am not aware of how this is done on Skype. Can you tell me?

And . . . I have found a chess program that is designed to be played over Skype. You can play and talk to and see your opponent - who is usually my grandson - at the same time.

Are there any other useful features we are not aware of?

Planeman

brian Rupnow
05-19-2011, 10:56 AM
When I am on a call, there is a floating tool bar just below the main picture, with "icons" on it. If you hover your cursor over the 'icons, it will pop up a text saying what the icon does. You want ''share"--then select "share screen". When you are done sharing the screen, you minimize it and then have to hit the "video" icon again to let the other party see your face again.