PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 Ton Sears Floor Jack

78Billygoat
05-17-2011, 06:23 PM
I`ve got an approx. 1972 1 1/2 ton Sears floor jack. I`m having problems with the universal joint at the end of the handle which enables the handle to jack it up or release the fluid to let the jack down. Also I`m in need of a rebuild kit for this jack. There is an aluminum tag on the jack that is hard to read but one # reads 727, another reads EB2-9127. These other numbers are located on the cylinder itself, K680-900, EB2-7228. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. I THINK it`s a Blackhawk but couldn`t find anything on their site. It`s a heavyduty jack NOT like the junk they sell these days. Thanks for the help, Phil.:confused:

KEJR
05-17-2011, 07:37 PM
you might call sears. sometimes they offer good parts support.

KEJR

PaulT
05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I have one of those jacks and its one of my long term favorite tools.

Mine started acting up a few years ago and I took it apart hoping to save it.

It turned out for me that it just need all its o-rings replaced, and they were standard type o-rings.

Good luck-

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

Willy
05-17-2011, 07:58 PM
What PaulT said.

If it were mine I would disassemble and clean the hydraulic components, just to make sure that no physical damage has occurred to the hardware. Then take the seals and O-rings to a hydraulic cylinder rebuild shop.
I'm positive that they will be able to fix you up with what you need.

By the way welcome to the forum!

KINGWELD
05-17-2011, 11:27 PM
What you have possibly is a model 727.12101.
Someone on this forum about a year ago had information on this jack.
Might want to do a search on this modal # and go from there.
Hope this helps you a little.

Mike P
05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
You didn't say what your universal joint problem was, but I had problems with both of my floor jack universals. The little hex nubbin that sticks up into the end of the jack handle was worn and would slip inside of the handle hex.

I made two new ones on the lathe, using some steel hex stock and they're both better than new. The originals were pretty sloppy from day one.

ahidley
05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
go to sears.com and look for "parts". There you will find a page that asks for model number and you can put in your number and it'll give you an exploded view + a parts list and prices. Sears parts website has many, many models there and exploded views. Its not just sears items. they have every major appliance companys exploded views too. You can also search for tools and then jacks if you dont know the number.

Your second , i.e. best, choice would be to go to harbor freight and buy a 2-1/2 ton for $60 on sale and download their manual and save it for future use.

cadwiz
05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Try www.searspartsdirect.com with the suggested parts number. I was amazed they still had parts for my 1970's era drill press.

Cadwiz

DeaconW
04-20-2013, 08:01 AM
I have a very old Sears floor jack model 328.12001, and Sears does not provide the parts for it. The jack does not lift up anymore, or it lifts up a little, and then falls back down. I think I need a seal kit. Can anyone help me with a good supplier? I found one kit for $46 online, but I don't know if that is what I nee or if that is a good price. Thanks.

bborr01
04-20-2013, 09:32 AM
I have a very old Sears floor jack model 328.12001, and Sears does not provide the parts for it. The jack does not lift up anymore, or it lifts up a little, and then falls back down. I think I need a seal kit. Can anyone help me with a good supplier? I found one kit for $46 online, but I don't know if that is what I nee or if that is a good price. Thanks.

Deacon,

Go back and read post #3. Paul nailed it. Take your jack apart and bring the o-rings to your local hardware store. Match them up to new ones and replace them. I doubt that the job will cost over $5.00, likely much less than Sears repeair kit if they have one.

Brian

bborr01
04-20-2013, 09:56 AM
You also might want to look at this thread. It was at the top of the "third hand" page.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/16219-Sears-Service-Jack-1-1-2-ton

Brian

edit: I just looked through the thread mentioned abote and see that you have already seen it.

Abner
04-20-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a similar jack from Monkey Wards that needs work. I found (1) place for parts but I think they are very common parts and I'm going to look at McMaster-Carr.

GEP
04-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Show me a pic of your jack.We have a guy that repairs old jacks. Mostly ausco,sears may be the same

GEP
04-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Just a idea. You may be able to make the joint from a 1/2" ratchet universal extention swivel. I used one on my snow blower shute

Forestgnome
04-20-2013, 11:15 AM
You can buy ready to machine u-joints at McMasters or Ebay if it's too worn to use. If you decide to buy a replacement Chinese jack you'll have to go up on the weight rating to match the lift. Chinese tons are smaller.