PDA

View Full Version : M12x1 Tap

DFMiller
05-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I went looking for a M12x1 Spiral Point Tap. It seems like it's unusual.
I need to tap 3 holes in some 5/8" alum. On my new CNC router. ;-)
Any ideas where I might mail order one. My normal places don't stock.
Thanks
Dave

platypus2020
05-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Dave,

Try Victor Machinery Exchange, they list 12 mm x 1 mm taps, they may have a spiral point, you would have to call.

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/subdepartments/Metric-Taps/1310.html

jack

Mark McGrath
05-19-2011, 04:31 PM
I would expect it to be a standard listing for OSG.Not that I`m recommending their taps.

DFMiller
05-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Jack,
Thanks I was hoping to find a brand name tap.
Mark.
I just checked OSG. It seems to say not available in OSG in Spiral point.
Strange!
I sure one of the experts will explain the logic in this.

Thanks
Dave

Dr Stan
05-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Dave,

It is a bit off standard. I checked Travers Tool and they do not list it, but they have been very good to me in the past finding the odd item. They're out of Flushing NY so they may be willing to ship to Canada.

Stan

Ken_Shea
05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Dave,
That is an odd one, they do show them here

http://www.metric-tools.com/catalog/item/4020477/3791998.htm

If you need me to order and ship no problem.

Ken

I see they do not have the spiral Flute though :(

DFMiller
05-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks Ken,
I might take you up on that one. I think I can get a bottoming tap locally but its non brand name. And non Spiral Point. I did not think this was going to be such a pain. I might have to re-think things. The holes are some Prox switches for limits. The clean way to do this is to drill and tap some M12x1 holes and screw them in and install a jam nut. The other option that might be Plan A now is to drill the holes and use two jam nuts. This of course means changing out Prox switches will require some assembly to get at the nuts. :-(

Ken_Shea
05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Dave,
If you can change thread to M12x1.75 I can send you a high quality plug tap at no charge.

Ken

Mark McGrath
05-19-2011, 06:13 PM
OSG list spiral flute M12 x 1 in their European catalogue but I can`t even find spiral point taps at all.
It`s a horrible catalogue compared to the American one.
Need to look at Emuge then.

DFMiller
05-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Mark,
Thanks for your help.
My local guy Skinner is an Emuge distributor. I visited them today and they said no stock. I didn't ask how long and how much. I might call them tomorrow.
I think I am going to get some bubble gum to mount these Prox switches. This is turning into a pain.
Thanks
Dave

Arthur.Marks
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I'd just get pricing from a custom tap place like Tapco (http://www.tapcotaps.com/) if you really need it. Too much searching for the elusive tap... And why so insistent on spiral point?

Paul Alciatore
05-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I did a search of my usual sources and could not find any in spiral point. Quite a few taper, plug, bottoming types are available: both name brand and imports.

I second the question, "why so insistent on spiral point?" I have one M12-1 tap, taper style and have used less than a dozen times in more years than that. It if the spindle thread for my Unimat lathe. I have never had any problems using it to make the accessories I need. Is this a production situation? If not, I would suggest settling on the more available types. In a tap of this size, the spiral point is not as much of an advantage as it is in smaller ones. There really is sufficient room in the flutes for the chips.

tdmidget
05-20-2011, 12:53 AM
If these are new holes and don't have to fit existing screws, Why must the be M12X1.0? 1/2X13 is so close it would be hard to tell the difference and dirt common.

Paul Alciatore
05-20-2011, 01:21 AM
If these are new holes and don't have to fit existing screws, Why must the be M12X1.0? 1/2X13 is so close it would be hard to tell the difference and dirt common.

????? 13 TPI translates to 1.9538 mm. That is close to a 2mm thread pitch, not a 1mm one. And 1/2 is 12.7 mm or 0.7 mm bigger. If you used a 1/2-25 or a 1/2-26 instead of the 1/2-13 the M12-1 would probably screw in, but it would be very loose and the thread engagement would severely less than what is needed for any strength. Definitely not a good substitute either in diameter or pitch.

DFMiller
05-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Paul and others,
Thanks for the good information. I am no expert, that's why I was asking. I have found in my very limited experience that the spiral point taps are well made usually and work well. I have not used the larger sizes. The fact that no one seems to make them or at least they are in low demand no one stocks them would support Paul's comment that in a size like that they don't really offer anything. That's the information I was looking for.
I will see if my one local supplier has the one really in stock and go for the imported one. It's only 3 holes.
Just doing my homework.
Thank you all.
Dave

Mark McGrath
05-20-2011, 03:54 AM

The thread is for fitting proximity switches and that`s what they are threaded.

Guhring list it.Page 35 of the tap catalogue.
http://guhring.com/Catalog/Taps.htm

Here`s their contact info.
http://guhring.com/AboutUs/Contact.htm

crancshafter
05-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Paul and others,
Thanks for the good information. I am no expert, that's why I was asking. I have found in my very limited experience that the spiral point taps are well made usually and work well. I have not used the larger sizes. The fact that no one seems to make them or at least they are in low demand no one stocks them would support Paul's comment that in a size like that they don't really offer anything. That's the information I was looking for.
I will see if my one local supplier has the one really in stock and go for the imported one. It's only 3 holes.
Just doing my homework.
Thank you all.
Dave

Hi Dave.
Why not get some drill rod and make your own M12x1 tap. Just my 2cent............

Regards
CS

tdmidget
05-20-2011, 05:27 AM
????? 13 TPI translates to 1.9538 mm. That is close to a 2mm thread pitch, not a 1mm one. And 1/2 is 12.7 mm or 0.7 mm bigger. If you used a 1/2-25 or a 1/2-26 instead of the 1/2-13 the M12-1 would probably screw in, but it would be very loose and the thread engagement would severely less than what is needed for any strength. Definitely not a good substitute either in diameter or pitch.

Oops! (smack self)!! But still don't understand. If the switch housing or what ever is threaded then it seems that you would need a clearance hole. Strange that they would expect you to have such an oddball tap.

EVguru
05-20-2011, 06:18 AM
I have an M12 by 1.0 sitting right here on the desk. We have Humidity sensors with that thread on the body. It's HSS L.A.I. brand and not spiral point.

I think what happened was that it's a metric conversion from a BSB (British Standard Brass) thread that you find on things like cable glands.

DFMiller
05-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Making a tap is a interesting idea. Being a lazy person I will keep that one in reserve.
This is what I am mounting. http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/ve7pke/Posted%20XYZ/Proxswitch.jpg
They mount into the carriage of my gantry and not having to mount an inboard jam nut is preferred.
They are made in Italy.
Thanks
Dave

DFMiller
05-21-2011, 10:59 PM
After all my research I ended up getting a Chinese standard HSS Tap.
I was able to pick it up at my local KBC.
It did the job. Limit switches mounted.
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/ve7pke/Posted%20XYZ/IMG00232-20110521-1601.jpg
Thanks for all the help.
Dave