PDA

View Full Version : The Old Airplane Ride Story Thread?

Dr. Rob
05-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Listen, I was looking for an old thread here from a few years back... can't seem to find it even if I remember most of it.

It was a while back, maybe six, seven, eight years... A man told the story of showing a kid an old airplane in a barn maybe, and how they together managed to get the ol' thing running...and took it on a flight both far and yonder; high and wide, to the land of a kid's dreams fulfilled and beyond.

Thought some of y'all oldtimers here might remember it... Spence, Macona, Stevenson, JTiers.... Any of you guys, or anybody else, remember this? It was a great story.

Doc

A.K. Boomer
05-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I remember something similar except the plane was an eagle and the "kid" was a sheep, it didn't have as happy an ending for the kid though:confused:

John Stevenson
05-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Thought some of y'all oldtimers here might remember it... Spence, Macona, Stevenson, .

Doc

Well that's pi$$ed me off for the weekend........................

johnnyd
05-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Old age looks pretty good to me.....when I consider the alternative.:(

radkins
05-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Well I guess I am an "oldtimer" and I go for a ride in an "old plane" every time I take my "old" '68 Cessna 150 out. :)

Dawai
05-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Dunno, but after the "motorcycle ride" today I had to have a two hour nap...

John? any day you can be above ground and pissed off.. it's a good day...

1-800miner
05-20-2011, 09:46 PM
You been rubbing on a fresh body? Any pictures of her?

RB211
05-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Airplanes are death traps, especially old ones with smoking rivets owned by Flight Express / Flynet!

Joel
05-21-2011, 04:33 AM
Was a bit of a trick to find with my fuzzy memory, but is this one?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=11661

rohart
05-21-2011, 04:44 AM
...and took it on a flight both far and yonder; high and wide, to the land of a kid's dreams fulfilled and beyond.

I can see who's the real poet here.

(Technical issue : Interesting character mapping problem for George.)

Dr. Rob
05-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Yes, Joel, that is exactly it. Thank you so much.

And fencepost, thank you so much for writing it.

John, you know what I mean by oldtimer.... This forum has a huge number of new users, but some of y'all have been here for almost ten years, especially old fogeys like you... :-)

fencepost
05-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Dr. Rob,
Axel aka "Fencepost" was my adopted father, he passed away in April, 2010. Both Mom and I really miss him. His faithful dog is still with us, but he's getting long in the tooth too.

The story you referenced is really special to me, he helped me when I needed help, he guided me when I needed direction, he taught me to be me.

I now have my multi-engine commercial ticket, and instrument instructor's ticket. College is also going well - aeronautical engineering.

Thanks for thinking of us and especially Dad, I'm proud to know he made an impression on many more than me, he was one hell of a person.

Scott

John Stevenson
05-21-2011, 06:40 AM
John, you know what I mean by oldtimer.... This forum has a huge number of new users, but some of y'all have been here for almost ten years, especially old fogeys like you... :-)

Pi$$ed off for two weeks now.................................:D

lynnl
05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Dr Rob, I don't remember reading that before. Thank you for recalling it and bringing it forward.

And a belated thank you to Fencepost for sharing it initially.
It's amazing to think that a man's good deeds and good name can live on and touch others long after he's gone. Something we should all bear in mind from time to time.

Alistair Hosie
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Don't worry about John he's very difficult to make angry I once stole his harley davidson his tos lathe and his wallet and all he said was you can keep the wallet all I wan't is the contents.All fourteen pence in gold. The harley ,was harley any good and I couldn't give a tos for the tos.Alistair

doctor demo
05-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Pi$$ed off for two weeks now.................................:D
Go down to the Pub and have a pint or two and You'll feel better:)

Steve

fredf
05-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Scott
I have taken the time to read as much of the story as I can find, I lost my dad very early on (I was 4 or so at the time). I had several mentors as I grew up and am grateful for them all; I only wish that I had thanked them more while they were alive!

Axel sounds like a great man, and I rather expect that you also played an important role in his life. He seemed to be very touched by you, and EXTREMELY proud of you. I know he will be missed by many. My (belated) condolences on your loss.

fred