PDA

View Full Version : Bp 6f table feed advice

1-800miner
05-21-2011, 09:01 AM
I am refubishing a Bp jhead.The motor for the 6f is in need of a rewind,first estimate at four hundred dollars.
I can't decide.
a: rebuild the original motor.
b:replace,anyone out there have one?
c:new variable speed. If I go that way will the long overhanging lead screw(about a foot) adapt to the new power feed?
Do I cut it short and make a new key way?
Or leave it long and build a spacer to put the power feed a foot off the table?

lakeside53
05-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I went down the same path - best just find a good replacement motor on Ebay.. As you've found out, the motor shaft is custom.

If you ditch the 6f and put on the Servo (brand) type, you will need the leadscrew extention adapter. Not sure what you mean by c) - the lead screw used with the 6F is short - stops about 2-3 inches before the table end.

gcude
05-21-2011, 11:43 AM
If you ditch the 6f and put on the Servo (brand) type, you will need the leadscrew extention adapter. Not sure what you mean by c) - the lead screw used with the 6F is short - stops about 2-3 inches before the table end.

Similar to what I did. Replaced an 8F with a Servo (brand) and just replaced the short leadscrew with a new/longer leadscrew.

lane
05-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Look under the end of the table .Should be a coupling where the table feed is coupled to the lead screw. Has a roll pin are a tapered pin through it . Take off and you will need ether to make are buy the extended shaft to mount the Servo feed unit to the mill.

1-800miner
05-21-2011, 09:15 PM
My lead screw goes past the table ten inches,maybe its coupled.I will check.I don't know how long this machine sat outside.Luckily it was in the desert.Outside is light surface rust but if water could get in and not evaporate,it's full of rust

lakeside53
05-22-2011, 01:51 AM
You'll find it's coupled. The 6F comes off complete with the screw end and handle.

1-800miner
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Ijust googled 6f and 8f images,niether look like mine.I did find two pictures labeled "early Bridgeport table feed"that looks like mine.Evedently I have a dinosaur.
It is all mechanical,no electronics. It has a two speed knob on the right side and a six position shifter on the front. Left/neutral/right lever above the shifter.