PDA

View Full Version : OT--Obama's car gets stuck in Dublin

Willy
05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I got a chuckle out of this one.
With all of the route planing and security logistics, I'm surprised no one saw this coming.
It's good to see though that sometimes a low-tech "surprise" can thwart the best laid plans.:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13507338

jugs
05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Billions of $ allows the US president to go anywhere anytime unhindered... except in Dublin

All that expensive technology stopped by a $1 worth of mild steel .... love it.

Here it is in full Technicolor http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13507728

Should we buy him a bike ???? :D

john
:)

MaxHeadRoom
05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
I got a kick out of him and Michelle attempting to down a (real) Guinness, It did not show if they finished it.:)
I wonder it that was a first for them?? ;)
Max.

JCHannum
05-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Should we buy him a bike ???? :D

john

His cycling coach; (Does Obama have a bicycle czar?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJXU7EVXs2A&feature=related

MaxHeadRoom
05-23-2011, 05:40 PM
After seeing the Beast attempt a 3 point turn outside 10 downing st, maybe they should make an Austin Mini version.:rolleyes:
Max.

Richard86
05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Did anyone notice how that front wheel sucked up into the wheel well? It doesn't appear that the front wheels have any down pressure on them. I wondered if it has torsion bars like chevy pickups and they broke when they hit the concrete, but they would be inside of the framework or body I would think.

It doesn't appear that it went over the bump hard enough to break anything though.

Carld
05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
:eek: I didn't know the Prez has a Mexican Low Rider. I guess the hydraulics wouldn't work.

MichaelP
05-23-2011, 08:55 PM
I wonder how the car got in there in the first place. Or the load on the way out was too heavy?:p

RussZHC
05-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Alright, high-sided :p

Come on guys, get out and rock it!

Mcostello
05-23-2011, 10:25 PM
did anyone notice how thick the front door was?

wierdscience
05-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Well in all fairness that limo handles like an APC,that much armor under the hood increases the turning radius quite a bit.

Now,as to you residents of the Isles,thanks a lot!You guys couldn't keep him over there longer?We need a break over here:D Maybe at least until 2012?

justanengineer
05-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I cant believe he is on vacation...again, and this time to visit his "ancestral home." I think that one is stretching it quite a bit.

The Artful Bodger
05-23-2011, 11:01 PM
I cant believe he is on vacation...again, and this time to visit his "ancestral home." I think that one is stretching it quite a bit.

He is not the first President to do that in Ireland.

Forrest Addy
05-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Many Presidents took vacations on the taxpayer's dime. A recent incumbent took weeks at a time his first term.

aboard_epsilon
05-24-2011, 05:52 AM
Said on one news channel last night, that the armour plate was 8 inches thick ...cant believe that ....youd need hydraulics to open the doors...the car would weigh in excess of 6 tons ..and wouldnt move.

all the best.markj

Krunch
05-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Gotta protect the Messiah!

Rustybolt
05-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Any excuse to get out of the house.

Being president is hard! Fore!

jugs
05-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Said on one news channel last night, that the armour plate was 8 inches thick ...cant believe that ....youd need hydraulics to open the doors...the car would weigh in excess of 6 tons ..and wouldnt move.

all the best.markj

It is & it does (reputedly 140 mph, 85 on the rims) but not in Ireland :D

GM can’t really talk about the specs on “the beast”: “One of the specifications is we don’t talk about the specifications,” stated a GM spokesperson.
Although details can’t be confirmed, the Detroit News reports that 25 presidential limos were were built for the Obama Administration. They all are expected to last about 10 years, and the Commander-in-Chief gets a new one every four years. The older vehicles are used to carry the Vice President and visiting heads of state.
The car is heavy, between seven and eight tons, riding similar to a medium-duty truck. The body is covered in military-grade armor that is 8 inches thick on the doors. Each door reportedly weighs as much as the cabin door on a 747, according to Motor Authority. The windows are made of ballistic glass, believed to be 5 inches thick, and even the floor mat is woven with a substance to protect the president and his family from a potential bomb blast. There is also a seal to keep out the air to protect passengers from chemical attacks.

It also carries a blood bank in the boot :eek:

john

RTPBurnsville
05-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Just another example showing the donkey is not a bright as he claims to be.