PDA

View Full Version : AT&T is a Lier Cheat & Thief

gary350
05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
AT&T advertised $24.99 high speed internet so I called and asked guestions to make sure it really is as advertised. After answering lots of questions, gave them all my personal information they said the price is $24.99. I asked if there are any hidden fees or additional charged and they said, no. I said I want to make sure my monthly bill will be $24.99 as advertised if your cheaper then the service I now have then I will switch. I was told the monthly bill will be $24.99 but I have to buy my own $100 modem. The charge to my bank account was $141.25. Then I received an email that says my monthly bill will be $41.25.

That pisses me off AT&T lied to me this is about $1.30 more than I am paying for Earthlink they were bought out my Sprint. There is no Sprint or Earthlink advisement taking over my computer like a VIRUS.

The other thing that pisses me off is AT&T will not let you online until after I download their software. Every thing I do now has AT&T advertisements and there is a bunch of AT&T crap that covers the WHOLE top half of my computer screen. If I pull up a web page I can only see 1/2 the page all that advertisement crap covers the other have of the page. This is pissing me off. This is like having a VIRUS I can not get rid of.

I am going to close my bank account so AT&T can not get anymore money. I will take my computer somewhere and have all this AT&T crap removed. AT&T can suit me if they want they lied to me.

Seastar
05-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Bill

Mister ED
05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Bill
And sadly enough AT&T's customer service (just like Direct TV and the rest) literally SUCKS.

bborr01
05-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Gary,

I too have been less than happy with AT+T lately.

I have had dsl through them for probably 10 years. A couple of months ago my bill went from $35 a month to $40.65. I called them and they told me I had been gettting a promotional rate for the last year.

The next month my bill went to $45.00. They also keep changing the free McAfee anti-virus terms. Used to cover something like 8 computers but now it is 4. No notice that this change was to be made. One day I log onto on of my computers and it is screwed up with the McAfee program.

Also, the service has been terrible lately. Broadband errors that require a shutdown of IE.

I called them and told them that I was very unhappy with their service and was pretty much told too bad.

I have cable available but they are not much better. About 15 years ago I had cable installed when I was laid up with a broken femur. A few months later when I was healed up enough to climb steps, I went into the basement to see footprints on my pool table cover. It was easy to see that the cable installer had walked across my pool table to save a few feet of cable by running it diagonally. The cable followed the footprints exactly. I said no more cable from now on.

The choices seem slim for high speed internet.

I remember reading that the UHF band was supposed to become a wireless high speed internet network that would reach for maybe 100 miles. Don't know what is happening with that.

Brian

gary350
05-25-2011, 05:34 PM
My son just came in he knows how this computer stuff works. We almost have it all fixed. We started over, son knows how not to install AT&T software so the computer remains as before. GOOD!!!

But AT&T still lied to me about the price it is NOT $24.99 as advertised!!!!

It is 99% installed but we have been stuck on Detecting Modem for 45 minutes.

I just talked to a friend in NC he had the same problem it made him mad so he wrote a letter to the State Attorney General and they got him out of his contract and got all his money refunded.

justanengineer
05-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Honestly dumb question - has anyone found a situation where you can switch between companies, get equal or better service, and NOT pay more? I surely have not. Every time I have switched for an advertised lower price, there are always hidden fees, taxes, conditions etc, or the service just plain sucks. Not trying to knock you Gary, just curious what others' experiences have been.

beanbag
05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
In my area, my DSL provider offers a service where they take care of the voice part of the telephone line as well. The wires are still run by AT&T, but I don't have to deal with them anymore, nor get billed by them. See if this type of service is available in your area as well.

Tom S
05-25-2011, 05:58 PM
At least you don't have to deal with Bell Canada. For the half a year I was with them I was on the phone at least once a month trying to get something or another corrected. And after 3 months away from them they still call to try to lure me back. After about 9 months they still have not figured out how to spell my name correctly.

macona
05-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Did you call AT&T to find out whats going on? I never really had any issues with them when I used them and I had them for years.

Now I am on Frontier (Was verizon). They signed me up for a $5 a month introductory offer and I am still paying that price, for about 2 years now...

jdunmyer
05-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Now I am on Frontier (Was verizon). They signed me up for a $5 a month introductory offer and I am still paying that price, for about 2 years now...

Same company as you, but I never did get the introductory price. My total bill for phone + DSL is over $80.00/month, and that's 1 megabit to boot.

Can't complain too much about the service, though.

Forrest Addy
05-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I got Clear (formerly "Clearwire") and it costs me $35.50/mo for a microwave wireless modem and connectrion to cyberspace..

5mb up and 500kb down.

No ads (well, a few spams but you can check the box and they won't send anymore).

No software loading or computer tweaking - it uses the built-in Ethernet.

Got a problem? Call the number and a really slick computer talks you through the steps. If that doesn't work you can talk to a human without a lot of hassle. About once a year I have a small problem where I lose the signal. It's usually on their end and its fixed within a couple hours.

There was a Clear commercial where the guy was completely coiled in rope except for his head. Another guy in the background pulled on the rope to hoist the wrapped up guy to hang up side down. The wrapped up guy hooked up the microwave modem with his mouth, poked the keyboard with his nose, and the IPS popped up on the screen. It almost was that simple. I went from the sealed box to on-line in about two minutes. The instructions were a half dozen lines and some illustrations on a single sheet of paper. I was impressed.

Best service I have.

bborr01
05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I should mention that I am a 35 year ATT customer. I have dropped my cottage phone and my land line at home in the last year or so. My service has been pretty good until the last year or two.

I also just spent about 10 minutes digging through an email that I got from ATT trying to find the part I had read about USAGE ALLOWANCES.

The email listed out a lot of changes to the terms of use agreement, but the most significant one was on usage allowances. 150 gigs for a personal account. It said that is 20 standard def. movies or 10 HD movies.

I think as more people get into streaming movies that will be a very unpopular restriction. I don't think cable is as restrictive. But I still have to check on that.

Brian

wierdscience
05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Around here we have DSL,Cable and some wireless outfits.They all work out to with in $2-3 of each other no matter the plan.

I went with cable mainly because they are the only ones who deliever on the speed they promised.I'm paying $28.95 for 8meg internet.I can get 12 or 16meg for more per month,but the 8meg is fast enough.

gary350
05-25-2011, 08:39 PM
It took over 3 hours to get this computer online with AT&T. I still have the other computer online with Earthlink which is now owned by Sprint.

I have had Earthlink for 15 years maybe longer I switched to another service 2 times and I was not happy with them at all so I went back to Earthlink.

I have noticed the small companies will bend over backwards to help you out because they have to compete with the big companies, the big companies don't seem to care if you have to hold on the phone for hours. I have a friend that said their AT&T service was not working for 2 weeks they had to threaten to cancel service to finally get a service man to come and replace the bad modem.

Any time I needed Earthlink help I could do online chat or give them a call. Online chat is the best it only takes about 2 minutes for someone to come on and help me FREE. Phone help was always good too the wait was never more than a few minutes and it was FREE.

If I had it to do over I would have stayed with Earthlink.

Evan
05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Try satellite internet. (NOT). For $65 US per month I have the privilege of getting service that is often slower than dial up. Max speed is 70 Kb per second with 20 to 30 the norm during the day. Down load limit per hour is around 6 megabytes and then they slow you down to dialup speed. Worse is the upload service. Max speed is 12 Kb and if I exceed 2.2 megabytes in any one hour period I will be slowed down to half of dialup in both directions for the next six hours. Even at "full" speed it can take up to 5 minutes for a page to load. In a lot of cases the pages don't ever finish loading because the servers time out.

I have no alternatives except dialup and that would require another phone line which isn't available so I would have to use my existing line. We have no cable, no land based wireless and no cell service even though I only live 12 miles from town. We won't be getting any alternatives any time soon because the major service providers already think that their service is available in our valley. The take a compass and draw a circle around the town and that is the range they think they have. I have talked to ATT (Bell Canada) many times to inform them that their service isn't available here but they still have telemarketers calling me about once per week trying to sell me service.

I recently received an offer from Telus, our landline provider, for a new high speed service. I called and ordered it on the proviso that they would have to prove that it actually works at my house. They couldn't do that. Not they wouldn't do that, they had no internal mechanism to promise that I could really see the cell phone tower. I can't, there is 3 kilometres of cumulo granite between us and the tower.

rolland
05-25-2011, 09:14 PM
If you need to contact a company this site works really well to get a person rather than a computer answering machine http://gethuman.com/

j king
05-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Evan. Do you have Hughes? We had it for years. It sucked BIG time. We dumped it last year and got an air card.Works alot better where we are.. I need to repeat..HUGHES SUCKS...There I feel much better every time I say that.LOL!

flylo
05-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I've had a Centennial aircard for several years for $19.95/month. Now At&T bought them out & it sucks. And you can call & wait 45 minutes before talking to a person. I hate AT&T. They want to swith to the same plan with them for $35.95 + fees for the same thing I have. I'm thinking of going ith Frontier phone, free long distance & unlimited 3 meg $40/month for a year. $55 after that. 2 year contract.

Evan
05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Evan. Do you have Hughes? We had it for years. It sucked BIG time.

No, we use Xplornet. I can't imagine it being any worse other than not working at all so it must be worse than Hughes. It isn't just the actual service it is also the entire attitude of the company and the people that work there. I have actually had the tech people hang up on me when I call to complain that the service slows to a near stop every evening at 9pm. I don't call very often but they don't want to hear that their system must be over subscribed since there is nothing wrong on my end.

They also don't like the fact that I own my equipment and refuse to sign a 3 year contract. It especially pisses them off when I mention that I know the signal strength fades every evening when traffic shaping takes effect by reducing the power to the bottom tier subscribers that refuse to sign contracts. I'm not supposed to know how to measure the signal strength at the block downconverter. I'm also not supposed to know that by phoning to complain the moment they measure the signal strength remotely from my modem it sets a flag in their computer to raise my quality of service for a while to prevent me from complaining to the CRTC.

gary350
05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
I bought one of those disposable phones and used it for 2 years. I was able to buy a $30 phone card that was good for 300 minutes and 3 months. A couple months ago the cards changes to 300 minute and 2 months. That means I now have to buy 6 cards every year instead of 4 cards per year. All they think about is how to screw the customer and make more money. The time expired a few weeks ago and I threw the phone in the trash can. SCREW THEM!!!!!!!!!

I bought a used cell phone on craigslist for $10 then went and bought cell phone service for $24.95 one time activation fee and $10 a month for the service and NO contract at all and NO text messages. Since I have my own phone all I pay is month by month $10 each month. If I am not happy I stop paying. If I stop paying and want service again then I pay $10 and I have service again.

kf2qd
05-25-2011, 10:48 PM
I live in South Texas, down on the border. As we live outside of town I have a small antenna on the roof and for about $40 a month I have 30K/Sec download speed. It's a local provider called VTX Broadband. In 3 years I have called twice about a problem, 1 time took 5 minutes, one time there was something more major and it took less than 2 hours. Wish it was faster, and I could do that for more money. I can do most everything, even video calls with Skype, though I have to wait for youtube videos .

Have kinfolk that are using Hughes Net in Central NY and love it, the other alternative is dialup out where they live and its just too slow.

Mister ED
05-25-2011, 11:25 PM
I live in South Texas, down on the border. As we live outside of town I have a small antenna on the roof and for about $40 a month I have 30K/Sec download speed. It's a local provider called VTX Broadband. In 3 years I have called twice about a problem, 1 time took 5 minutes, one time there was something more major and it took less than 2 hours. Wish it was faster, and I could do that for more money. I can do most everything, even video calls with Skype, though I have to wait for youtube videos .
We have the same thing here in west Mi ... too far out of town for cable, DSL, etc. There are two of the wireless Broadband outfits in the area. For $35 + $10 reciever rental a month I had 756kps. We just bumped up to 1.5mps for an additional $10. Could go up another $10/mo and get 3mps. The 756 was good ... but had to wait on Youtube and if two of us were doing something ... you noticed. With the 1.5mps you notice it less.

I forget the frequency, but there are two different ones. One (the older) is direct line of site to a tower. The newer freq they are using, no longer requires the direct line of site. All of the trees around here precluded me from using this until the got the new Freq rolled out last year.

bborr01 - not sure where you are at on the west side ... but something to check out. There are a lot of these outfits that poped up over the last coupe of years ... something to do with Obama Bucks and getting highsoeed to the rural areas.

danlb
05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I recently received an offer from Telus, our landline provider, for a new high speed service. I called and ordered it on the proviso that they would have to prove that it actually works at my house. They couldn't do that. Not they wouldn't do that, they had no internal mechanism to promise that I could really see the cell phone tower. I can't, there is 3 kilometres of cumulo granite between us and the tower.

What some communities do in situations like this is to install a repeater at the top of the valley where there is a viable signal. The signal repeater is less than $500 and easy to install. The link is to a design for a small office building, but the same idea works with two highly directional antennas instead of the second flat one. The power requirements are pretty low.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=cell+signal+repeater&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17380230825539106962&sa=X&ei=o8rdTYy2KMrkiALE7NzyCg&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAg

Dan

Evan
05-26-2011, 12:27 AM
I wish it were that simple. The terrain around here is steep and deep. Also, the problem would be finding land to put it on. 95% of all land in Canada is Crown Land which is owned nominally by the Queen. Getting a permit to do anything permanent on Crown Land is virtually impossible unless you are a major corporation. To complete a link over the range between here and town would probably take about 3 repeaters because of the terrain. They would have to be solar powered and with the winter weather we have here it would probably take at least four 50 watt panels to get through a month of cloudy weather. In December the sun is only 15 degrees above the horizon.

CCWKen
05-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Check out the Ubiquiti line of wireless bridge transceivers. For about $80 on each end you can extend a modem up to about 18 miles. I've got one on my roof shooting at the service that's a little over 3 miles away. Not a single dropout! They're 5Ghz MIMO transceivers.

This is one I have: http://www.ubnt.com/nanobridge
It was provided by the service but you can buy them online. The last time I checked, they were right at $80. (Some places a little more.)

Added: I don't know the exact dimensions (it may be in the specs.) but the dish is about 12" in diameter.

John Stevenson
05-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Virgin cable here 50Mb for 15 a month.

Also have another broadband connection from Talk Talk that comes free with the workshop phone package, not sure how big, think it's just basic but as I say it comes free and the phone package suits me very well, 25 per month unlimited calls anywhere including international which is handy when you are on the phone to China for ages.

I do get charged for calls to mobiles and some 087 numbers.

Orange charge 25 for the cell phone and that's ??? minutes or 20,000 texts. never use anything like this and when the contract expires I'll dump them and go pay as you go.

Loads of offers on, Tesco the big supermarket offer to give you 30 worth of calls if you buy 10 per month. I reckon I can by on 50 for a whole year because most calls are incoming.

EVguru
05-26-2011, 04:30 AM
I recenty switched from VISPA. Good customer service, but the reliability had gone through the floor.

I'm now on BT Infinity FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) for 28 pm all UK calls included and cheap international calls. Sync speed is 40mb download and 10mb upload.

A.K. Boomer
05-26-2011, 06:29 AM
I have no alternatives except dialup and that would require another phone line which isn't available so I would have to use my existing line.

And here I woulda thought you had some cutting edge Evan exclusive system hooked up to a home brew satellite that you launched just for the purpose :p

I do have dial up and end up using my existing line but I don't miss any calls cuz I have "callwave" - its an internet answering machine service and you here whoever is on the other line leaving their message, then you have the option of taking the call (which iv never used cuz it cost $2.00) or you just go about doing your business on line and call after you get off,
Callwave also shows you what calls you missed when you were talking to someone else on the phone - it does this the next time you fire up your computer,
I used it for free for about 6 years and now it cost 4 bucks a month so my total internet bill with server is $14.00 a month, That coupled to my free FTA satellite TV and I get by pretty cheap.:)

It's not for everyone - and living alone is a biggie cuz if someone else wanted to use the phone all the time it would be a nightmare.
And yes I pass on many of you guyzes video's cuz they take too long to load up and watch.

aboard_epsilon
05-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Bet Evan could put some sort of UHF relay system in through the hills and valleys, at little cost, knowing him.

here there are surveillance systems that are put in by security companies that can send a signal to a receiver in your house a number of miles away ..so you can look at cams on a property you own ..wouldn't that set up carry you're internet at greater speed .
btw ..why do you need so much power..you metiond solar panels etc ..if a satelite in space can beem stuff down from 22,000 miles with 100 watts ..why cant you go twelve miles with only couple of watts

and in the vastness of your wilderness ..no ones going to see a few 4x2 six foot long planks of wood with your gear on, fastended to a few strong trees..stuff the crown .tell her you want to keep up to date with what is going on in the royal house-hold :)

all the best.markj

Evan
05-26-2011, 07:36 AM
I could easily put in a system if I had someplace to put it and could afford it. The problems are several. As I said, I must have permission to put anything on Crown Land and that isn't going to happen. It will have to be solar powered and that means about $2000 in solar panels and batteries for each repeater. To prevent theft and to clear trees a repeater will have to be on a 100 foot tower. In winter when the trees are covered in snow they are impenetrable to UHF signals. To allow for maintenance there will need to be access to the site.

I have already investigated these possibilities in depth. The nearest site that already has a relay on it is about 20 km to the west. It is just below the horizon so to gain a clear view would require a minimum 200 foot tower at both ends. That requires approval from Industry Canada and it must be lighted.

The stupid part is that we have fibre within 3 kilometres from our house. What is needed there is to convince the phone company to install a DSLAM in the hut at the end of the valley. That isn't easy as it costs about $250,000. On top of that many land line subscribers are on multiplexed Pair Gain units that share a single copper pair with two subscribers. Pair Gain and ADSL are not compatible so none of those subscribers would be able to use DSL. Upgrading the lines would be very expensive as the population density is less than 10 per sq kilometre. Convincing the telephone company to spend that sort of money for about 60 potential customers in this valley isn't likely.

..if a satelite in space can beem stuff down from 22,000 miles with 100 watts ..why cant you go twelve miles with only couple of watts

Five watts per hour for a month of no sun is nearly 4 kilowatts. This last winter we had almost no sunny days (or clear nights). I keep track of both as I have a solar telescope too and am interested in sunspots.

Ed P
05-26-2011, 08:06 AM
You guys don't shop around enough. I found hidden on the AT&T site DSL for $10 a month - you pay for the modem. Guaranteed for a year, no strings attached. After that the price went to $15 a month, now a few months ago it went up to $20 a month. DSL is cheap if you hunt around for it.

Ed P

J Tiers
05-26-2011, 08:21 AM
We have ATT, and it works, although the access fees are higher, they are not as high as Gary says.....

The restrictions I thought were ATT seem to have been the old router, since there have been NO shutoffs of access in the last week or so. Normally I would have noticed some.

The rule is, NEVER ACCEPT the software the company provides, ANY of it. if your plan would FORCE you to accept it, get a new plan from someone else.

All the software is basically an advertisement delivery system, for their own services if not for some 3rd party. You probably will be paying for (or being "charged with" the bandwidth that the ads use, which may come out of your allotment.

Their software may restrict access to certain sites, categories of material, etc. Some will be not much of a problem, unless your prime motivation was porn or whatever, but others may be.

But if they use a service to determine spam sources, they may be discarding email from or restricting access to some blocks of addresses, completely irrespective of what is actually there.

With all these "because we can" (republican) folks in office who think that the downtrodden billionaires need huge tax breaks, you can look for much much more of this sort of thing, as businesses go for every nickel they can squeeze out of you, every opportunity to force you to look at an advertisement. Extreme pro-business legislation is pouring out of governments everywhere.

Rustybolt
05-26-2011, 09:23 AM
There outta be a law!!!!

Highpower
05-26-2011, 09:46 AM
About three years ago I dropped my AT&T long distance service. It was costing me $10.00 @ month, but I never made any long distance calls. They tried to talk me out of doing so, saying I could just pay a flat rate per minute, with no monthly service charge. I declined because again -- I wasn't making any long distance calls.

Three months ago I decided to look at their current plans to see if they still offered that service. They did, so I signed up again. The first two months cost me nothing for long distance. THIS month I get a $4.00 service charge. :eek:

NO long distance calls made, and when I questioned the charge I was informed that ALL long distance plans now have a monthly service charge. So now, once again -- they are charging me for NOT using their service. WTF?