PDA

View Full Version : Compressed Air Accident

gcude
05-26-2011, 12:04 AM
This poor guy will probably be the "butt" of jokes going forward. Hope he fully recovers.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/25/man-turns-human-balloon-falling-air-hose/?test=faces

:eek:

Carld
05-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Man, that's the strangest thing I have ever heard. Hope he has no lasting effects.

TGTool
05-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Damn lucky he had buddies around to save his a$$ in a manner of speaking. I wish him well on recovery too. One wonders if this might unleash a new round of OSHA guidelines on height of airline outlets in the shop.

Boucher
05-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Years ago where I worked there were three serious lost time accidents in a short time from Horse play. One guy jabbed a air tool at a guy's ass and it injected air into his body. Another was walking by the injector repair bench a guy pushed a diesel injector at him and pushed the plunger injecting Diesel under the skin with serious results. The third was setting on a desk at shift change and one of his friends grabbed his legs and made as if he were going to drag him off the desk. That is what inadvertenly happened . He hit on his tail bone and was severly injured. The fit hit the shan over these avoidable accidents.

boslab
05-26-2011, 02:51 PM
thats how they release hides from carcasses at the local slaughterhouse, he's very lucky to be alive
mark

Mcgyver
05-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Years ago where I worked there were three serious lost time accidents in a short time from Horse play. One guy jabbed a air tool at a guy's ass and it injected air into his body.

a friend of mine who was a tool & die maker at GM tells a story at the plant an idiot goosing someone with an air hose ....the guy died.

Jim Caudill
05-26-2011, 07:50 PM
He's not out of the woods yet, there could be serious pathogens in the air that got injected that could yet cost him his life or some limbs. Back in the day when I worked as a diesel truck mechanic, I heard a story of a guy that inadvertently blasted his hand with a high pressure grease gun. Seems the resulting infection cost him either his limb or his life. Could have possibly been an "Urban Legend", but it sure made an impression on me about the dangers of high pressure ANYTHING!

PeteF
05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
As reported by Fox News. Maybe they ran out of "Woman gives birth to two headed baby" stories :rolleyes:

914Wilhelm
05-26-2011, 08:41 PM
He's not out of the woods yet, there could be serious pathogens in the air that got injected that could yet cost him his life or some limbs. Back in the day when I worked as a diesel truck mechanic, I heard a story of a guy that inadvertently blasted his hand with a high pressure grease gun. Seems the resulting infection cost him either his limb or his life. Could have possibly been an "Urban Legend", but it sure made an impression on me about the dangers of high pressure ANYTHING!

Doubt urban legend. Hi pressure paint frequently get shot into hands and causes horrible infections and requires hours in the operating room to get the paint out. It can track up along tendon sheaths and muscle and takes a lot of effort to get out of a wound. Air on the other hand isn't so bad if its only in the soft tissue. People break ribs all the time and puncture their lungs getting air in the soft tissues of the chest. It feels like rice crispies under the skin. Body gradually absorbs it and it infrequently causes infection. Hi pressure air on the other hand has the potential to blast into vessels causing essentially an air lock in the heart or a air bubble blockage in a vessel. More frequently blasted into the torso it gets between the lung and chest wall and prevents the lung from fully inflating. Anyway, hi-pressure anything is nothing to screw with.

T.Hoffman
05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
thats how they release hides from carcasses at the local slaughterhouse, he's very lucky to be alive
mark

Great way to skin coytoes and deer too. Get an injector needle for the air hose. Works GREAT for making skinning much easier, can't imagine it happening to a live human. YIKES.

Here's an air skinner attachment working on a deer, if seeing dead animals bothers you , don't watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YEMt_nY21Y

The Artful Bodger
05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Here's an air skinner attachment working on a deer, if seeing dead animals bothers you , don't watch.

Not a very fast method.

J. Randall
05-28-2011, 05:21 AM
Not a very fast method.

Way faster than my usual method, I may have to try that.
James