PDA

View Full Version : plummer block bearings help needed

Alistair Hosie
05-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I was dismantling my new saw into small pieces when one of the plummer block bearings went snal and the bearing housing mild metal snapped I have contacted wadkin and am awaiting there response what is the best way to measure these the bearing is ok intact although I knopw you need to buy these all in one what is the cheapest source uk ? as I know wadkin will not be cheap. I have lost the number on the bearing as it exploded what do I need to measure to get the right one they are the hump back bridge looking ones .I know john will say clumsy bar steward but I need his advice so will have to grin and bear the criticism :D Alistair

tdmidget
05-26-2011, 01:17 PM
"Plummer" block? Is that a "pillow" block? To measure you will need:
Shaft diameter
center to center distance of mounting holes
Height of shaft centerline

Alistair Hosie
05-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks T .M well done I ordered the wadkin one it costs 29.95 plus postage so it is best to buy the correct one.I don't want to spoil the ship for a halpennies worth of tar.Now tell me I think the reason I burst this one was that a small ring was still in situ when I tried to remove the leadscrew used for rasing the blade from it's block.The cast iron block broke will it be easy to remove the old bearing which is hanging on the rod leadscrew? Also will it be easy to replace it or will it be a bugger to fit on. I am looking forward to a nice easy slip off and slip on with the new one. Wishful thinking maybe. Alistair