View Full Version : What Are These?

05-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a bunch of parts that I aquired with a skidload of grinding wheels and other stuff.

I'm trying to figure out what these are and if there is any value in them or are they destined for the scrap barrel.

There may be a hint. Handwritten on the box it says "contour tool". However, I don't know if that pertained to these parts or something prior.

I have about 50 of the second larger ones. They all have a slot in them that is wedge shaped. You can kind of see it in the part on the right in the picture.

Any ideas?


A.K. Boomer
05-29-2011, 03:56 PM
That's interesting - they almost look like some kind of cable guide :confused:

Tony Ennis
05-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Bending jig dies?

tyrone shewlaces
05-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Yep. They are for controlling contours. :p

05-29-2011, 09:44 PM
For your use scrap iron.

05-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the replies.

It is looking more like scrap to me too.

I am thinking that the day after I unload the next load of scrap, someone will dig up this thread and ask if I still have them.


05-30-2011, 08:59 AM
You could keep them for a year just in case and that would still happen :)

05-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm just going to take a wild guess based upon what I see in the picture. The leading edges of all the parts have a very well defined chamfer which suggests that something is meant to fit over them and the chamfers are meant to provide an easy start. The spring (or "roll") pins suggest that the part is meant to be fixed securely in a specific and repeatable position and not move. And as another poster noted the slots seem to be wedge shaped.

My guess is that these were location pins for tooling fixtures in which the base, to which these items were fixed, remained tied to the machine table and second and third (ect) operation tooling fixtures were interchanged, each located precisely in the same location as a result of locating them over these pins. The removable fixture plates would have hardened bushings to act as precision location guides much like a die or mold. My guess is that the wedge shaped slots were used perhaps to use a drift of some sort to pry the pins back out of the tooling base in order to exchange them for other pins maybe. Like I said, it's just a wild guess.

05-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Brian,Please don't scrap them. I'll buy then at a little over scrap price & pick them up & save you a trip to the scrap yard. Than if you need some in the future you'll know where they are. Let me know. I've been wanting to stop by anyway. Thanks! Eric:D

05-31-2011, 10:22 PM

You are welcome to them. Give me a call and we can set something up.


05-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Will do.Thanks Brian! We'll have to go flying. I bet Caulkins is about underwater.