PDA

View Full Version : a small tool gloat

ak95xj
05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb284/ak4130/choco007.jpg

I was at my buddies house the other night..He inherited a large tool chest several years ago, and I was looking through it for a pair of tweezers, when I stumbled upon this..I said hey Ill give ya 20 bucks for this.."sure , Ill just borrow it if I need it...What is that thing?"

That 8.69 measurment is stored in the memory , and I have to rezero it every time I turn it on..I tried messing with those abs and origion keys but they dont seem to do anything about it..He has 2 small children, and I think one of them may have gotten into it, hence the pen marks inside the case, and theres some kinda crusty dried up food or something in some of the crevices.Im gonna give it a good cleaning.The knob feels kind of tight.Other than that it seems to work fine..

PaulT
05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I have a set of those, its a nice piece.

You could be able to clear that "origin" setting, take a pen or the end of a paper clip, hold them closed and push down on the origin button and hold it down for a few secs until the unit zeros the origin.

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

Westline
05-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Nice find congrats.
The pen marks must be the childrens Quality check markings, they just made sure you will second guess every mesurement it ever makes.:D

ak95xj
05-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Thats funny.. The tool chest is in his dining room :DSo I can see how they would get into it. He just doesnt want to move it down the basement steps..The origion button fixed it btw.If I take them apart to clean them up will it throw it out of whack or anything?

Thanks

Peter.
05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I have one also, though it recently stopped working. The action is a lot nicer than a 10 chinese one I have and the quadrature pattern on the reading strip underneath the sticker is a lot finer too. I still don't trust it for better than a couple of thou though.

wierdscience
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Thats funny.. The tool chest is in his dining room :DSo I can see how they would get into it. He just doesnt want to move it down the basement steps..The origion button fixed it btw.If I take them apart to clean them up will it throw it out of whack or anything?

Thanks

Just wipe them down with a DRY cloth,no oil,cleaner etc and leave them alone.The reader head has a wiper at each end to keep trash out.

Any oil or cleaner will screw up the reader head and basically ruin the calipers.