PDA

View Full Version : OT Commercials

duckman
05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Watching the idiot box the other night and a Dr Pepper comm. comes on, and the loud mouth from the chopper show (Orange County) comes on and says to the man with a DP in his hand whats it taste like and the guy says DP, loud mouth asks a couple more times gets same answer, then say to the gang with him lets get him, next shot shows loud mouth with a DP and says it tastes like DP, then the guy stands up with his face all smashed up and says something that I don't remember, my question is with all the bullying going on WHAT WAS DR. PEPPER thinking. I've already sent an e-mail to DP asking what were you thinking, and I've told them that I will not buy or drink any product they make or sell that condones BULLYING. What I'm asking is that everyone that reads this will send an e-mail to DP and stop buying there product. :mad: :mad:

duckman
05-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I forgot to put in that DP was my favorite soft drink next to good tequila.

Gravy
05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
I forgot to put in that DP was my favorite soft drink next to good tequila.

"Next to" isn't so bad, but if you mix 'em together, yer on yer own!:eek:

KEJR
05-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Well, half the talent left with the kid, so the guy needs money from somewhere. Don't get me wrong even the old bikes are kind of homely, but at least in the old days there was some handmade fab going on, not just bolting one ugly abomination onto another waterjet cut abomination.

darryl
05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
I've thought about this violence thing on tv shows and commercials- it goes way back, and it is, or was, rampant on kid shows. There's something very troubling about that- is that what the viewing public wanted- is that what the creators of all those shows wanted to portray- is that the mandate that was handed to the writers from higher up- ? This is beyond sick, or should I say it's something other than sick, it's somehow natural. It's a response and a motivation right from the very core of animal existence.

As far as soft drinks- does southern comfort rate as a 'soft' drink- seems pretty soft to me :)

Arcane
05-30-2011, 08:41 PM
If anyone hasn't seen it, here it is. I've e-mailed them and I will make it a point to not buy any of their products such as Mott's Clamato, Canada Dry, Dr Pepper, Crush, Mott's Fruitsations, Mott's Garden Cocktail, Schweppes, Mr & Mrs T, C'Plus, Snapple, Rose's, Orangina, Stewart's, etc.
The Dr Pepper Snapple Group must have their heads "up there" for the warmth.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2031532434132

jack3140
05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
i find it rather silly and childish not worth making a fuss about really :rolleyes:

sch
05-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Random sampling on cable at work shows old dude now 'in counseling' and
trying to 'mend ties' with now independent offspring. Old dude looks to
have shriveled up a lot, biceps down by 40-50% muscle mass from years
ago. Other than that I agree, DP is reaching and using masculine soap
opera to best advantage.

wierdscience
05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Well DR Pepper sucks IMHO,so it's logical they would pick OCC to pitch the stuff.

As for bullying,what would you expect from three generations of kids being taught they have to lay down and take it instead of being encouraged to defend themselves and others who are being bullied.

Gravy
05-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Well DR Pepper sucks IMHO,so it's logical they would pick OCC to pitch the stuff.

As for bullying,what would you expect from three generations of kids being taught they have to lay down and take it instead of being encouraged to defend themselves and others who are being bullied.

I don't see where you're getting that from this commercial. I saw just the opposite. It's apparently admirable and funny for a bunch of bullies to stomp a kid because he wasn't cool enough. Was he gonna win the fight against 20 times his weight?

I agree about DP. Nasty stuff:eek:

Evan
05-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Dr. Pepper is made, bottled and distributed by the Coca Cola group in the US.

From the mouth of the horse:

October 4, 2010

Dr Pepper Snapple Group Completes Licensing of Certain Brands to The Coca-Cola Company

... As part of the transaction, DPS received a one-time cash payment of $715 million before taxes, fees and other related expenses. The company expects to use a portion of the proceeds to support its ongoing share repurchase program.

"These agreements solidify Coke's support of the Dr Pepper trademark and the continued growth of both the brand and our flavor portfolio," said Larry Young, president and CEO of DPS. "Moreover, it increases the brand's presence on fountain, providing additional opportunities for millions of consumers to sample the brand each and every day."

Under the new licensing agreements, KO will distribute Dr Pepper in the U.S. and Canada Dry in the Northeast U.S. where these brands were formerly distributed by CCE. In addition, KO will offer Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper in local fountain accounts formerly serviced by CCE and will include Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper on its Freestyle fountain dispenser.

http://investor.drpeppersnapple.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=514312

Nothing is left to chance in something as expensive as a national advertising campaign. They have done extensive demographic studies to find out who buys the brands. They also do extensive test marketing of new ads in limited markets at first before rolling out the full campaign. If the surveys show that the majority of the consumers of that product are as dumb as a stump then the advertising will appeal to stumps, not machinists.

Arcane
05-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Steve, from http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/Choppers-founder-on-steroids-list-999453.php "Paul Teutul, 61, the proprietor of Orange County Choppers and star of the popular Discovery Channel TV program declined comment when asked how his name and personal information appeared on business records in connection with a Florida steroids case. The records show Teutul received thousands of dollars worth of steroids over a multi-year period."

The old dude must have stopped taking steroids.

Gravy
05-30-2011, 09:34 PM
If the surveys show that the majority of the consumers of that product are as dumb as a stump then the advertising will appeal to stumps, not machinists.

That does explain a lot.;)

Mcgyver
05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Nothing is left to chance in something as expensive as a national advertising campaign. .

perhaps, but you give them far to much credit. Bonehead moves are made. Sure they spend on marketing studies, focus groups etc, but the decisions on how that's interpreted and what it means and what to run with and how to position it are subjective and made by fallible beings, often not the smartest.

.....or they've decided to position it as the drink of societies' low lifes and underbelly ....in which case it could be a brilliant campaign.

Evan
05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
I am a member of the Angus Reid polling group and complete polls for them on a regular basis for which I am paid. They are very accurate. They predicted the results of the recent election with a margin of error of +/- zero to 1 percent for each party. They can also tell you with similar accuracy who an advertising campaign will appeal to.

Mcgyver
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
you take polls? ok, you're a polling expert as well. Marketing decisions are not polls and surveying a bunch people and predicting an election is hardely a marketing decision. Its far from a perfect world and even if they did all the focus groups in the world to test the ads (that is NOT a poll) they can still blow it on what the result mean and launch campaigns that don't work. Happens constantly. whatever, this is just a beyond stupid point to argue but i know that doesnt matter either, it could still go on 50 pages, and hey, you take polls i don't, so over and out. Tell the new coke people big co's with big advertising budgets and research resources (100x that of Cott) dont make blunders.

Evan
05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Taking polls doesn't make me an expert on polling but it does give me an inside look at how it is done and what the results are for a variety of subjects. When you sign up for the Angus Reid survey group it isn't just a matter of choosing a user ID and Password.

Tell the new coke people big co's with big advertising budgets and research resources (100x that of Cott) dont make blunders.

Blunder? Hardly. It secured a great deal more display space in the large chain grocery stores which they hung on to when they discontinued the product. That may have been the primary purpose of the campaign. Nothing is more important than shelf space and nobody pays the stores more than the soft drink makers. Getting room for a new product reduces the space for the competition. Further, as the saying goes, "There is no such thing as bad publicity". It postioned the old Coke squarely in front of the consumer over and over on the news and other media. That is publicity you cannot buy.

saltmine
05-30-2011, 11:25 PM
IT IS BULLYING! No doubt about it. Bad Ju-ju.

I'm glad I don't watch that show...like I needed another "soap opera" with torches....

When are these show producers going to realize that not everybody likes to watch people screaming and yelling at each other, and acting like a bunch of A-holes.

I'm a big fan of "Pawnstars". When I heard there was a show called "Hardcore Pawn" I decided to watch an episode...GaaaK! Not another "soap opera"!!

Fortunately the guys at "Gold & Silver Pawn" have kept it real, I know Rick and his guys. Rick told me that every time they try to introduce some of that "daytime soap opera" crap into the show, he vetoes it...

Now they have a show called "Pawn Queens"...Here we go again, except now it's a "soap" about women pawnbrokers...Geeez!

Getting back to the bullying incident, thinly disguised as a Doctor Pepper commercial...

Dr. Pepper used to be made out of prunes....yeah, carbonated prune juice.

I used to like Dr. Pepper, but they changed the recipe. Increased the carbonation and sugar, got stingy with the real flavor....Which is probably why I rarely drink it any more..
Coke has too much Cinnamon, Pepsi is too sugary, 7-up don't taste like anything any more.....Whatever happened to good 'ol "A & W Root beer". I'll bet they ruined that, too.

Those were the days....My friends and I would get on our motorcycles on a Saturday morning and ride to the "A & W". We'd all order a big mug of root beer, and an order of fries. That finished, we would ride to the next "A & W" and have another root beer and fries....Of course, "A & W" also had burgers and stuff, in case we got hungry. Nothing like a big mug of "A & W" Root beer, some fries and a little "bench racing" ...

wierdscience
05-31-2011, 12:11 AM
Was he gonna win the fight against 20 times his weight?

With a .38 revolver he would;)

I wasn't referring to the commercial since it's stupid and would never happen in real life.

I was referring to the assertion that somehow it would cause otherwise normal people to suddenly burst forth into incredible Hulk like fits of bullying.

Not gonna happen,normal people will remain normal and bullies will remain bullies with no net gain in either column.

Now back to the commercial.A brilliant ad exec would see the protest,however insignificant and produce a sequel where the kid gets,up,steals a DR Pepper truck and runs over the Tuthill's bikes just as they finish another DR Pepper,priceless I say and TV worth watching:D

Oh,and I rate Dr Pepper just below TAB in taste and drink ability:D

John Stevenson
05-31-2011, 04:33 AM
I always thought Dr Pepper was the same as Budweiser but with a touch more alcohol in it ?

Weston Bye
05-31-2011, 06:16 AM
...Fortunately the guys at "Gold & Silver Pawn" have kept it real, I know Rick and his guys. Rick told me that every time they try to introduce some of that "daytime soap opera" crap into the show, he vetoes it...
Now that might be a program worth watching (well maybe one episode, or a segment of an episode) - a reality show about a reality show producer getting slapped down for trying to introduce "daytime soap opera" drama into a reality show.

Mcgyver
05-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Blunder? Hardly. It secured a great deal more display space in the large chain grocery stores which they hung on to when they discontinued the product. That may have been the primary purpose of the campaign. Nothing is more important than shelf space and nobody pays the stores more than the soft drink makers. Getting room for a new product reduces the space for the competition. Further, as the saying goes, "There is no such thing as bad publicity". It postioned the old Coke squarely in front of the consumer over and over on the news and other media. That is publicity you cannot buy.

yeah that was the childish conspiracy theory circulating afterward, but you are so wrong. Ask anyone who knows anything about marketing, profs, analysts, execs or the perpetrator himself; it was an epic blunder. Learn more about marketing before you make ridiculous pronouncements like there's no such thing as bad publicity - tell that one to Union Carbide or Exxon or 'nothing is more important than shelf space". Do you just make this up as you go? What's your marketing background?

Evan
05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Do you just make this up as you go?

No, but you are entitled to your opinion which is not the same as fact.

gwilson
05-31-2011, 10:24 AM
I just saw my first dildo commercial on TV about 7:00 at night. Trojan's "personal vibrator." WTF is it coming to? Kids are watching at that early hour.

Evan
05-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Just take Ikea's advice and make sure you tidy up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VtzSDI8u2o

Mcgyver
05-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Evan, you're right we all have our opinions and views and are entitle to them, peace. Where I react more passionately than I should is when someone obviously not experienced or knowledgeable in an area makes unequivocally proclamations of offbeat ideas as if they are fact. The notion that new Coke was not a marketing disaster is an Evan idea, of which you are entitled of course, but it is not accepted by any credible marketing person including Coke itself.

"all publicity is good publicity"....because somethings a popular quote or even cliche does not make it a law...there's usually a basis to them but it requires a intelligent interpretation with reasonableness and context. That quote has merit for Lady Gaga or Madonna antics; gets a buzz going and no ones opinion meaningfully lowered from where it was. However its ridiculous to say there are no boundaries and offer it in defence of the new Coke blunder. They infuriated their customer base, there is LOTS more to merchandising that # of products, shelf space is NOT everything, and they never intended to run two products so the point is moot. Does your boundaryless application of a PT Barnum quote also extend to Bhopal for Union Carbide and the Exxon Valdez for Exxon? These sorts of quotes are populist observations not laws.

If you google Michael Bastedo you'll find a good article he did that will improve your understanding of the new coke blunder

Gravy
05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
With a .38 revolver he would;)

I wasn't referring to the commercial since it's stupid and would never happen in real life.

I was referring to the assertion that somehow it would cause otherwise normal people to suddenly burst forth into incredible Hulk like fits of bullying.

Not gonna happen,normal people will remain normal and bullies will remain bullies with no net gain in either column.

Now back to the commercial.A brilliant ad exec would see the protest,however insignificant and produce a sequel where the kid gets,up,steals a DR Pepper truck and runs over the Tuthill's bikes just as they finish another DR Pepper,priceless I say and TV worth watching:D

Oh,and I rate Dr Pepper just below TAB in taste and drink ability:D

I like your thinking!

rowbare
06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
I used to like Dr. Pepper, but they changed the recipe. Increased the carbonation and sugar, got stingy with the real flavor....Which is probably why I rarely drink it any more..
Coke has too much Cinnamon, Pepsi is too sugary, 7-up don't taste like anything any more.....Whatever happened to good 'ol "A & W Root beer". I'll bet they ruined that, too.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is what happened to most soft drinks. It is considerably sweeter than sugar.

bob

lynnl
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
.....Whatever happened to good 'ol "A & W Root beer". I'll bet they ruined that, too.
Nothing like a big mug of "A & W" Root beer, some fries and a little "bench racing" ...

Have you ever tried "Barq's" root beer?
It's FAR better than A&W, in my opinion. Has more of bite/sharper, more pronounced taste. Not sure if it's distributed nationwide, or just regionally. Can't always find it, so we stock up on it when we do find it.

Black_Moons
06-02-2011, 01:30 PM
If anyone hasn't seen it, here it is. I've e-mailed them and I will make it a point to not buy any of their products such as Mott's Clamato, Canada Dry, Dr Pepper, Crush, Mott's Fruitsations, Mott's Garden Cocktail, Schweppes, Mr & Mrs T, C'Plus, Snapple, Rose's, Orangina, Stewart's, etc.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2031532434132

I'll do ya one better, I won't drink any of those and havent ever bought any.. Just because they all SUCK. seriously.

I think maybe I drank some orange crush as a kid.. Or at least some kinda orange drink. Rest of them, sickening.

wierdscience
06-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Have you ever tried "Barq's" root beer?
It's FAR better than A&W, in my opinion. Has more of bite/sharper, more pronounced taste. Not sure if it's distributed nationwide, or just regionally. Can't always find it, so we stock up on it when we do find it.

Yep,Barq's is good,ever try IBC?

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_033W532354110001P?vName=Food%20&%20Grocery&cName=Beverages&sName=Soda%20Pop&sid=KDx20070926x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=033W532354110001P