PDA

View Full Version : OT..sort of...gas prices going down, they have us where they want us

spope14
06-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I noticed today that gas prices in our area and the surrounding states have gone down 30 cents, in our area from 4.01 to 3.71. The economic news channel also mentioned this nationwide trend, and is acting thankful. Many drivers are also feeling thankful I guess. I am going to guess the new acceptable gas cost will settle around 3.59 to 3.65 in the near future, I guess I will be thankful as well, but long for the days of 2.90 gas last winter.

I guess they have us where they want us.....

A.K. Boomer
06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
It's holding even here where im from (colo.)

real close to $3.73 gal

really has not dropped yet:(

today I was going to experiment with my TPS and my exhaust pyrometer and air fuel mixture gauge just for the hell of it - maybe see if I can melt a hole in another piston or two:p

tyrone shewlaces
06-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I guess they have us where they want us.....

.... for the time being. In that case, they've had us where they want us (dumbed-down sheep who won't put up a fight) for quite a long time now.

I say "for the time being" because I'm pretty sure they won't be happy with it for long. The corporate motto after all is "More is always better". I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years we will be talking about gas being "back down" to under $10/gal.

It's a good thing I'm pretty antisocial in general. Since I am fortunate enough to live pretty close to work and don't have friends to go visit after, I'm saving money there and feel for the folks with long commutes.

SteveF
06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
If any of you guys really want to stick it to the oil companies, I have a horse for sale. :)

Steve

Black_Moons
06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
wanna see gas prices fall? just start talking loudly about selling your GM truck and buying a suzuki ****box, or a hybrid, or motorbike.

Here in BC, gas prices skyrocketed a few years back to $2 a liter.
Everyone just started TALKING about buying more efficent cars.. most not getting around to buying them.. And magicly the gas prices drop back down to $1~1.20 per liter (exact price depending on the week, phase of the moon, and how well the gas company CEOs did on thier last golf game)

Carld
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Uh, uh, they haven't dropped here in Kaintuck.

PeteF
06-06-2011, 06:41 PM
For as long as I can recall the price of fuel has been something like 50% more in the EU than it is in the US. Guess what, not too many F150s or any other "I must have one because ..." V8s getting around there. Sure are a heck of a lot of diesels that get 1000 km on a tank though.

Is there a message there ;)

Pete

mmc005
06-06-2011, 06:53 PM
The fuel prices ticked me off so much that I went out and bought a moped/scooter. I figure that it will pay for itself in 3 years, if I drive the same amount of miles that I do now.

I'm sorry, gas is just not worth $4.00/gal, I don't care if you use the new math or not (lol).

There are many thoughts on why the price is being pushed up, one of which is to push the cost of gas up to that of what an alternate fuel would cost. This would make the alternate fuel more cost effective to manufacture. Nothing gives the bang per buck as gas.

Dawai
06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
AS we lose our control over the Arab world gas market? I suspect "other" purchasers will level the price world wide.. Big markets opening up in Asia.

We as americans have had it real good for a long time, most people just didn't know it or appreciate it.

loose nut
06-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Thank the Chinese and Indians. They are starting to use gas like, well, Americans and the supply is getting smaller. Increasing prices for fuel and everything else is going to be a way of life from now on.

6,500,000,000 and counting, no wonder everything costs so much.

The recent gas prices have had a lot to do with instability in the middle east and when is that ever going to go away.

wierdscience
06-06-2011, 07:51 PM
For as long as I can recall the price of fuel has been something like 50% more in the EU than it is in the US. Guess what, not too many F150s or any other "I must have one because ..." V8s getting around there. Sure are a heck of a lot of diesels that get 1000 km on a tank though.

Pete

Ya,they are being soaked for taxes big time.

sasquatch
06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
In my area in Canada gas has dropped but only by around 4-5 cents per gallon.
Still up around $5.90 per gallon.

I really believe the big companies play a game with the consumer Re:

Gas this week is for example say $3.50 per gallon.

They raise the price suddenly up to $4.00 per gallon.

After a bit the public is getting pissed and they drop it back again to say $3.75.

Awwww, now it went down so the public is happy,, --BUT they're now getting still more for it than the past week!!

The price going up and down like a toilet seat,, makes one kinda suspiciuos to say the least!!

J. Randall
06-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Pete

I don't think that those cheaper operating smaller diesels you are referring to will pass our emission standards over here, if they did I think we would import a lot of them.
James

wierdscience
06-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Double post

airsmith282
06-06-2011, 10:24 PM
its no where near over yet expeced oil prices are supposed to double or trippel by end of summer and the for so will the price of gas go really nuts, over 80% of the price of gas is tax, tax out all that tax an gas would be 23 cents a liter, they do the same to ciggerettes and our food prices as well. dont expect things to get any better at all its only going to get worse and its all part of brining the US and canada to their knees so the new dollar can take over,

once completed then the the rest of the world will comply, gota love the goverments we put in power, crooked tourble making jack asses it what they are,

if out goverments would mind their own dam business and learn to support their own people and stop getting into wars that are also none of their dam business then things is this world would be alot better,thanks to all the BS and canada now getting involved we are now in a no better position then the US when it comes to being hated and targets for terrioest's gota love the canadain goverment now eh ,

BigMike782
06-06-2011, 10:35 PM
The powers that be never seem to be looking when the oil companies raise prices .30 just before a big holiday.....hmmmm.

We Americans are just like anyone else,we dislike change.It will take a real and extended hit to the pocket book before we make a REAL effort to change to alternative fuels or more fuel efficient vehicles.
What I cannot figure out is why we continue to waste our efforts on things like ethanol.It takes more energy to produce it than what it helps save and the diverted corn causes shortages so surprise surprise now food prices go up.Why don't we take advantage of an invasive plant that seems to be out of control but is supposed to be the makings for bio-diesel......kudzu?

PeteF
06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't think that those cheaper operating smaller diesels you are referring to will pass our emission standards over here, if they did I think we would import a lot of them.
James

Oh James please tell me you don't actually believe that?

As has been pointed out, people (and not just Americans) don't like change. Americans like BIG; big houses, big meals, big hair, big boobies, big cars. A bit of a generalisation, but let's face it as a society it's pretty close to the truth. BTW that's not a criticism, nothing wrong with it, it's just the way it is. The "big cars" fascination changed in the 70s (the last time this happened) but the size of the vehicles/engines has gradually been creeping up ever since. The US auto companies could EASILY produce cars to satisfy both the emission and fuel consumption requirements BUT it would involve an enormous amount of investment in the future. Up until now why bother, it costs sweet FA in terms of R&D to produce a "truck", and as long as people were willing to buy them the auto companies were more than happy to produce them. Big profits right now. 10 tears ago they couldn't roll them out fast enough. Fast forward to today and nobody wants to buy them. They've NEVER sold well in export and now even you guys don't want them any more. The quest for short-term profits is why the US auto companies have been caught with their pants down now. Why do you think the Japanese auto companies did so well in the 70s? As I say, it's not a criticism, precisely the same thing happened here in Australia (admittedly GM and Ford are very big players here). People were running around buying large "SUVs" like there was no tomorrow. Now you can't give them away ... literally!

Pete

Cheeseking
06-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I just bought me a Suburban with big old 8.1L gas motor. Love that thing! I floor it any time I come near a Prius or one of those NIMBY coal-fired electric cars.:p

airsmith282
06-06-2011, 11:47 PM
diesel is one fule they need to get rid of in cars and trucks put it to better use , it pouloutes way to much in use of cars and trucks, sure you get better miliage but its better as a heating fule and less of a poulant in heating then it is in make a car and truck engines run, ethonal yes iam sure its costly to make but i get 800 k per tank in my pursuit when i use it and it burns alot cleaner then regular gas does, and i get better throttle response when i use it as well.

hi test gas is way over priced add in some octane booster to regual gas and you got hi test for less money way less money,

perosnaly i dont l;ike electric cars way more damage to the planet co2 form gas or acid inthe ground from all thoes way over priced batteries umm let me think ill the co2 from the gas, i dont like to drink water that is contaminated with battery acid..

100% solar sounds nice and way better then the above 2 but then you cant generate the power required to get to the speeds needed and once the sun goes down your screwed.

back to horse and buggy well things really slow down then but no co2 emmissions and no acid in the ground but then we go no where really fast then lol

its a no win no matter how you look at it, and perpetual motion cars well they are up and coming but so long as we have gas we wont see them take over anytime soon,

as long as airplanes need fule again you have a problem ,

for thousands of years we did with out , the last 200 years we now can not live with out fule of one sort or another to help in hauling or asses around,

Willy
06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
diesel is one fule they need to get rid of in cars and trucks put it to better use , it pouloutes way to much in use of cars and trucks, sure you get better miliage but its better as a heating fule and less of a poulant in heating then it is in make a car and truck engines run, ethonal yes iam sure its costly to make but i get 800 k per tank in my pursuit when i use it and it burns alot cleaner then regular gas does, and i get better throttle response when i use it as well. ..........

Well airsmith, your findings are a little different to say the least from those of everyone else.

Ethanol has a much lower energy density than pure gasoline. The ethanol blended fuels are one of the major reasons automobiles do not perform as well mileage wise as they should.

Oil fired furnaces are probably the most inefficient, air polluting ways to heat a home.

You think your grocery prices are high now, ban diesel as a motor fuel and watch everything escalate in price. Just for fun name two things in your home that didn't get there without being on a truck.

Modern diesel fueled engines are very clean, as clean as a gasoline engine and much more efficient. In many large cities a new diesel engine's emissions are cleaner than the surrounding air!
Stand next to the exhaust of a new diesel and tell me what you smell.
Don't compare diesels from today to what was produced even ten years ago. There is absolutely no comparison.

J. Randall
06-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Oh James please tell me you don't actually believe that?

As has been pointed out, people (and not just Americans) don't like change. Americans like BIG; big houses, big meals, big hair, big boobies, big cars. A bit of a generalisation, but let's face it as a society it's pretty close to the truth. BTW that's not a criticism, nothing wrong with it, it's just the way it is. The "big cars" fascination changed in the 70s (the last time this happened) but the size of the vehicles/engines has gradually been creeping up ever since. The US auto companies could EASILY produce cars to satisfy both the emission and fuel consumption requirements BUT it would involve an enormous amount of investment in the future. Up until now why bother, it costs sweet FA in terms of R&D to produce a "truck", and as long as people were willing to buy them the auto companies were more than happy to produce them. Big profits right now. 10 tears ago they couldn't roll them out fast enough. Fast forward to today and nobody wants to buy them. They've NEVER sold well in export and now even you guys don't want them any more. The quest for short-term profits is why the US auto companies have been caught with their pants down now. Why do you think the Japanese auto companies did so well in the 70s? As I say, it's not a criticism, precisely the same thing happened here in Australia (admittedly GM and Ford are very big players here). People were running around buying large "SUVs" like there was no tomorrow. Now you can't give them away ... literally!

Pete

Pete, I think you have been watching to much reality TV. Back in the 90's we had working trucks, 1 Ton duel wheel jobs around here in farm and ranch country that would get 18 sometimes 20 mpg out on the road. I had an 85 Cadillac De ville with a 4.3 V6 diesel that would get 30 mpg all day long with 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage. Seems to me we have went the other way the last decade, and I still say the more stringent emissions regs have a lot to do with it.
James

PeteF
06-07-2011, 01:05 AM
You think your grocery prices are high now, ban diesel as a motor fuel and watch everything escalate in price. Just for fun name two things in your home that didn't get there without being on a truck.

Modern diesel fueled engines are very clean, as clean as a gasoline engine and much more efficient. In many large cities a new diesel engine's emissions are cleaner than the surrounding air!
Stand next to the exhaust of a new diesel and tell me what you smell.
Don't compare diesels from today to what was produced even ten years ago. There is absolutely no comparison.

Well said that man! Modern engines are extraordinarily efficient and clean, nothing like they were in the past. Just because they're not produced in Detroit don't kid yourself that they don't exist, the technology is right here right now, the only reason you guys don't see it much is due to the above. It's a terrible state of affairs but never mind, it's the way it is, and I guess the next question is what to do about it from here. I wouldn't be holding my breath if waiting for energy prices to drop is what you're hoping for!

Pete

lazlo
06-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Americans like BIG; big houses, big meals, big hair, big boobies, big cars. A bit of a generalisation, but let's face it as a society it's pretty close to the truth.

LOL! That's absolutely true Pete! :)

During the 2006 gas spike, the retail and resale price of trucks and SUV's when through the floor. There was a huge surge of small, fuel efficient car sales.

Gas prices returned to "normal" towards the end of 2007, and Americans went back to their 6.7 liter F350 SuperDuty Twin Cab dual axles :)

tyrone shewlaces
06-07-2011, 02:04 AM
There was a huge surge of small, fuel efficient car sales.
..and Americans went back to their 6.7 liter F350 SuperDuty Twin Cab dual axles :)

Who says we don't like change? There's two major ones right there within just a couple years.

Actually I don't like change. When government changes something, it always and without fail means I have less and they have more.

I'd like to see change:
Lets reduce worldwide population by half over the next thirty years simply through attrition.

Lets get the cash-cow profits out of the medical field and treat people reasonably instead.

Lets enforce half of the laws that are already on the books instead of passing new ones while thinking new laws will make any difference when current ones already aren't enforced. It's like adding one-way signs on a street because too many folks are driving too fast down that street. If the speed laws aren't enforced, why will putting up a new sign make any difference?

Here's your sign.

PeteF
06-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Actually James I don't really watch any television but I'm not sure how your comments tie in with your initial statement.

You had a car that got 18 mpg and you're boasting about it? Because of the unique nature of the us gallon, comparisons are often difficult, but I'd be embarrassed with less than 40 mpg. I've seen billboards in the US for vehicles trying to sell the fact they get 24 mpg. Well woopee, there's the energy crisis solved right there hey! As a matter of contrast, I'm currently shopping for a wagon to fit our family of 4 + dog. If the vehicle I'm considering doesn't get it's claimed 1000 km out of the 66 litter tank it's going back to the dealer! It's all perspective; if someone is used to getting 12 mpg I guess 24 mpg sounds great!

Pete

ikdor
06-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Hey, regular gas still costs $9.48 per gallon here, $9.87 for premium. Stop whining ;)

But I don't expect oil prices will rise fast in the future. The current world economy can sustain only about $100 per barrel, above that economies will start shrinking. The $150 price point from just before the crisis was due to speculation and is not really sustainable.

Igor

jugs
06-07-2011, 05:49 AM
back to horse and buggy well things really slow down then but no co2 emmissions and no acid in the ground but then we go no where really fast then lol

Not true, all mammals use oxygen & produce co2 + methane (another greenhouse gas) & what about all that pi$$ & shlt :eek:

john
:)

flylo
06-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Here in Michigan yesterday Reg unleaded $4.14,Diesel $409, 100LL AvGas $5.09. I have a Heavy 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins 5.9 that gets 23.5 mpg. Not bad for a truck that will go anywhere & pull or haul anything. My Bonanza uses 10 gallons per hour but cruises 175. I had several diesel VW Rabbits that got 55 mpg. I miss those.:D

airsmith282
06-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Not true, all mammals use oxygen & produce co2 + methane (another greenhouse gas) & what about all that pi$$ & shlt :eek:

john
:)

if we and all the animales all produce greenhouse gas then how is it we are all still alive after all according to the world scients green house gas plays a large roll in our own demise ,, think about it ,

and all the piss and **** has not let up over thousands of years its just been re routed more to the woods and farm lands more so and not so much on our roads where are cars presently so ummm can you do any better on this one our contribution as humans as muiltyplyed billions of times over in the last 3 thousdand years as well, in reguards to the piss and **** thing...lets not forget the methane we produce as well its not just the animals..

and guess what were all still here, even the governments have been trying to covince us to go green go green,almost everything is now made in china and other countrys and china is the worlds largest co2 producer of them all now.

things are not made as well as they once were its not chinas fault its all of us , you know you can only remelt and reuse metal so many times and it becomes usless and the more times you reuse it the weaker it gets,so does it pay to really recycle the stuff iam thinking not..
its not just gas and oil we need to worry about runnning out of its materials for making stuff, and yes the price per barrel is going to double or trippel over the next while and it will hold up with little to no fluxuation ,, why cause they world ecomany needs to come to a total crash in order for the

a: the new dollar one world currency to take over
b: one world order perioed, which also will follow with a one world religieon
c:there is a 97% chance of WWIII to happen and it wont be to far off from now..

the list goes on and on and on..

gas prices at the pumps are defently way to hi, diesel engines are not as clean as a gas powered car sorry that would be incorrect.

cost of upkeep in a diesel motor is 3 to 4 times that of a gas engine which is why they are not as popular , as for ethoneal gas , i have run test is man of my cars and my familys cars over the years and the ethonel get way better mileage and it does burn cleaner,well it seems it does my cars never need engine work like most people do that run regular gas that have clogged fule rails all the time and plugs burn out faster etc, meanwhile my cars dont seem to have these issues , ummmm has alot to do with the fule you burn, hi test or hi octane gas seems to work best in hi output twin cam motors and not so well in others interesting to say the least.. hi test also runs hotter due to the hi octane and guess whathappens when you run a motor hotter and expcially in aluim block and head motors head gaskets blow alot heads warp alot over heating happens alot sonner then need be plugs burn out fasters.. its a catch 22 on this perfemce better but just dont last long..

my car i drive now has a 2.2 ecotech engine top speed 140 MPH and she will do it + a bit extra,,i use ethonal sence i bought it , it was only 1 year old when i got the car, so far the only thing i have had to to do to the motor is change the air filter that was done 2 days ago.iam just about to hit 100K on the car and its a 2006.i get 799 per tank of gas hwy and about 600 and change city, why cause i burn ethonel gas i also dont beat the crap out of my car i change the fliuds as needed,keep good tire pressure all time and good tires all helps in best possible milage,

iam changeing the plugs at the end of the month 70k before they are due, cause i know for a fact that the ratings they give are total BS ,
my car dont burn or leak oil its as clean as it was when it rolled out of the factory brand new,

no dealer or garage gets access to my car at all , and sence my father started to finelly trust me to do all the work on his car it has not had any break downs at all,and i tell you i had a mess to straighten out form all the crap other grages did to his car over the years.

i have been training my step son as a mechanic for a few reasons one is cause once i hit 70 years old he can fix my cars for me. they still will never see a garage other then my own and the cars will stay well maintained properly as they should be.. not everyone wants to work on their own cars but if more people took and interest there woiuld be good fule efficent cars on the road and being proplery maintain fewer and fewer break downs would happen..

in the last 5 years it has cost me one brake job 2 sway bar links 2 rear springs 5 oil and filter changes 1 air filter and 1 set of tires and 2 control arm bushings ,, so far that added up well under 1000.00 like way under ,

most people on the same car will have spent 4 times that at least by now or more.. depening how ruff they are with their car and whi works on it and so on..

have fun and enjoy life its only going to get worse so long as present powres at be are in office

polititions are bought and sold all the time, voting is joke and a false hood, the puppets are the ones they want you to belive are making the decisions ,, the problem is not lack of rescorses its over population thats the problem, do you really belive all that the meadia tells you, i bleive the price of the barrel is gong to sky rocket but i dont belive some guy from another country that dont even know me wants to do me harm , hell no and they dont want to die either but look at the big picture here..

any one that can see threw the lies knows the truth , any one that has an IQ over 59 can fiquire it out, who rules your country your president, umm i think not he takes his orders like any other politian form the higher ups,, then them. yes your presindents and priministers dont make dicisions they are made for them and its made out to look like they made the choice when they really didnt in the end..

price of oil works the same way really, they are told what to charge and thats all there is to it..

its always been that way and likely will remain that way to ..

have a good one guys