Elninio
06-12-2011, 01:11 PM
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=284862560
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110523/002r6/635710i_20.jpeg
$2400
What's the worst you've seen?

MichaelP
06-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I think they just forgot to put a period before the zeros.

wierdscience
06-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I think they just forgot to put a period before the zeros.

Don't think I would pay $24.00 for that,$2.40 maybe,if they loaded it.

MichaelP
06-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I was talking about the blue 4WD that is partially covered by the rusty thing on the foreground. :D

Elninio
06-12-2011, 02:05 PM
is it just me or does this lathe have a gearbox on the tailstock, damn shame but i've seen lathes that looked extremely rusted, in fact was dust on the ways. this one is certainly rusted though.

Alistair Hosie
06-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Some people have no idea what there junk is worth.At the end of the day it's just one mans junk which as you know is another mans treasure.:DAlistair

sasquatch
06-12-2011, 06:23 PM
That is a disgusting looking mess that lathe has been left in.

Makes one wonder why at least the seller wouldn,t have tried to clean it up a bit.

Anyone know what that blue machine is behind the lathe?

Dr Stan
06-12-2011, 06:38 PM

I think it is a lift platform like one of these:

http://www.snorkellifts.com/PR_CompactElectricVertical.aspx

BTW UpRight's name has changed to Snorkel

rohart
06-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyway, that lathe is such a mixture of old design - gear levers, drawbar handwheel - and modern chic - traverse wheel, speed change lever.

But forget about actually bothering to clean it - the guy can't dig the swarf out from under it or move his toolbox before he takes a photo.

sasquatch
06-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks Dr. Stan.

DATo
06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
That is a disgusting looking mess that lathe has been left in.

Makes one wonder why at least the seller wouldn,t have tried to clean it up a bit.

I don't know what that blue machine is but if this guy is selling it I know I can't afford it *LOL*.

Ken_Shea
06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
They know full well what it is worth, they are waiting for the "one" (I.E. Idiot) born every minute that will offer $1000 then they will act like they are getting ripped off as they take his money.

Pretty much what you see at gun shows today.

rakort
06-13-2011, 12:11 AM
But forget about actually bothering to clean it - the guy can't dig the swarf out from under it or move his toolbox before he takes a photo.

He was way to busy and tired from digging it out of the swamp in the back 40

J Tiers
06-13-2011, 08:57 AM
That swarf is the only proof it really WORKS..... Of course they left it there..... maybe they even went and got some to throw there....;)

gwilson
06-13-2011, 09:32 AM
The well rusted swarf might mean it USED to work. What a slob!!

justanengineer
06-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Call me crazy, but I would much rather buy a lathe that was left rusty than one that cleaned improperly, as some on here have done in the past. Some of you are calling the kettle black on this one. Yes, his price is outrageous, but that lathe will clean up and likely be just as accurate (more so if previous owners had any ability) as a new one. If the paint was shiny and the price ~$500, quite a few of you would be discussing what a deal it was, and I for one would be sitting here quietly thinking that is still outrageously overpriced.

My point - value is widely contended depending upon your buying experience, location, and personal preference. I guarantee I spend more time every week shopping for used tools/tooling than most, and to me thats a $75 lathe, but you wont hear me run it or the seller down. At most, I will just state what I think the value is and notice any major flaws, but always in a respectful manner. There are a ton of overpriced listings on various classified sites every week, who cares? If youre a prospective buyer and want an opinion ask for it, but those giving opinions should keep it respectful. If you dont have anything helpful to contribute, or are just looking to run someone down, go elsewhere. I came to this board to get away from crap like this on PM.

Oh, and for those curious - I am one of the proudest "buy US iron" guys going, and honestly do detest Asian machinery.

MotorradMike
06-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Call me crazy, but I would much rather buy a lathe that was left rusty than one that cleaned improperly, as some on here have done in the past.

I agree.
Better to know what you're getting into.
He could've painted the whole thing pink, including the lead screw.

MichaelP
06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Call me crazy, but I would much rather buy a lathe that was left rusty than one that cleaned improperly...
...that lathe will clean up and likely be just as accurate... as a new one.
You're crazy! (you asked for it. :)) If a person allowed his tool to become a pile of rust, it's obvious to me that he's never cared for it, lubricated or cleaned it properly. The machine was abused, so you'll get all other problems IN ADDITION to rust.

If all you mean is that you don't like when a problem is masked by painting over, I agree with you. But I'd never even consider buying a lathe that was so obviously neglected. This guy doesn't care about his tools, and he doesn't give a damn about prospective buyers.

P.S. That is assuming the seller is the person who actually used the lathe.

Ken_Shea
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Call me crazy, but I would much rather buy a lathe that was left rusty than one that cleaned improperly, as some on here have done in the past. Some of you are calling the kettle black on this one. Yes, his price is outrageous, but that lathe will clean up and likely be just as accurate (more so if previous owners had any ability) as a new one. If the paint was shiny and the price ~$500, quite a few of you would be discussing what a deal it was, and I for one would be sitting here quietly thinking that is still outrageously overpriced.

My point - value is widely contended depending upon your buying experience, location, and personal preference. I guarantee I spend more time every week shopping for used tools/tooling than most, and to me thats a $75 lathe, but you wont hear me run it or the seller down. At most, I will just state what I think the value is and notice any major flaws, but always in a respectful manner. There are a ton of overpriced listings on various classified sites every week, who cares? If youre a prospective buyer and want an opinion ask for it, but those giving opinions should keep it respectful. If you dont have anything helpful to contribute, or are just looking to run someone down, go elsewhere. I came to this board to get away from crap like this on PM.

Oh, and for those curious - I am one of the proudest "buy US iron" guys going, and honestly do detest Asian machinery.

Sorry crazy, Nothing real patriotic about buying used USA made equipment that I can think of.
Buy some new and significant USA machinery besides a Sears table saw and then you can brag on that.
In the mean time, if it's alright by you, I'll continue with my first impressions of the guy asking $2400 for this suspiciously Asian looking lathe.

RussZHC
07-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Same pic, price "down" to $850...any takers?

The Artful Bodger
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
If you buy that lathe you will need some tooling to go with it..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Industrial/Manufacturing-metalwork/Lathes-accessories/auction-389057610.htm

.RC.
07-03-2011, 10:10 PM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Industrial/Manufacturing-metalwork/Lathes-accessories/auction-389057610.htm

LOL

Exceptional value here and selling well below there true worth. I am no expert but most cutting options are represented here.

No expert but he knows their true value....

David Powell
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I run a virtually identical lathe, almost daily. It earns some of my my bread and butter and maybe a bit of cake occasionally. If I needed spares I could not make, or spares in a hurry, then $ 850 COULD be a great bargain. My top slide always was poor, ( poor design and poor manufacture). I have sorted it out to my reasonable satisfaction, but certainly would not mind having another around. Obviously the lathe advertised has been neglected and possibly is damaged, but for someone it could be a very good buy---- try asking Busy bee for any spares for the 1990 12 by 37s .Regards David Powell.

Mcgyver
07-04-2011, 10:14 AM

I love the text....

Exceptional value here and selling well below there true worth. I am no expert but most cutting options are represented here.