PDA

View Full Version : Machining on TV, semi-ON topic

RussZHC
06-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Watched an episode of "History Detectives" with a few tidbits of machining content.

A rocker arm from a Zero with English writing due to being manufactured under license from Pratt & Whitney earlier in its development and kept as a matter of "convention" [somewhat more interesting since an earlier model was straight whereas a later version had more of a curved arm]

"Re-boring" swarf from Civil War era cannon...interesting because of the why, the speeds (that slower speed that has been discussed when larger objects are the part) and their choice of preservative for the fat and tallow used as lubrication, mercury.

DATo
06-21-2011, 09:30 PM
That's a really cool show. I was watching it once when they took their investigation to the Smithsonian to consult with one of the scientists there for spectral analysis of the artifact they were looking into. I was doing something else when I heard a name I recognized on the TV which drew my attention. Imagine my surprise when the scientist turned out to be someone I had worked with years ago. It does indeed seem to be a small world sometimes.

Dawai
06-22-2011, 08:05 AM
I I thought some machining on television was comedy.. American Choppers.. the goober tried to hold a "part" by hand and stick it to the 2hp driven end mill and machine a circle.. YEP.. I hollered to the wife, Come watch this sh##.... about that time, he needed stitches.

Preservative for Injection vials, mercury. Not a issue unless you are near toxic levels anyways..