PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for an accessorie cart?

1-800miner
06-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I got the bridgeport wired up and running.I put it under an overhead trolley, so I can load it with anything heavy.
Trouble is,it's about ten steps away from the rest of the machine tools,clamps,cutters,etc.I don't want to clutter the area with any permanent shelves or racks.
I am thinking about a rolling cart for the accessories.
Any good ideas or pictures out there?

bborr01
06-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Miner,

I use rollaround tool carts. Kennedy and Craftsman are a couple of them.

Shallow drawers on top for smaller tooling, inserts etc.

Deeper drawers at the bottom for boring heads, bigger tooling.

When/if you get more machines, it is easy to move the tooling cart along with you.

Brian

garagemark
06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Are you looking for permanent storage of items or just mobility to and from?

vpt
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I have the cart pictured below. Love it! The table top isn't as strong as others because it only has the single pole in the middle and is adjustable in height. For heavier stuff like most machining jobs one of the carts like this that has a post at all 4 corners should work out good.

http://di110.shoppingshadow.com/images/di/50/5a/31/477a7a5666697a703930504f34507537553277-149x149-0-0.jpg

uncle pete
06-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Wish I had the room for a cart but a buddy of mine is about to start building one and we've discussed the design many times. Better make it REALLY heavy duty tho as I don't think it would be too tough to end up with 4-600 lbs or more of tooling on it. It's hard to make it small enough so that it doesn't take over the room yet large enough to store everything on it. If it were me I'd have a sloping top on it for drawings, A tray that would accept wooden blocks to keep your tooling in the order it's going to be used. You'll apreciate that idea if you've ever used a clearance drill instead of the tap drill. If your set up for welding that makes things easier but if your forced to use something like plywood, Then a angle iron frame that the plywood is epoxyed and screwed or bolted to would be a minimum. Due to the weight and the racking caused by rolling it on slightly uneven floors I don't think it's possible to overbuild something like this. Start your design with a coffee cup holder and build out from that.

Pete

1-800miner
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a round column mill and two lathes at the end of the shop with all the tooling mounted,shelved or hung in the immediate area.
I am thinking of a cart that will permanently hold the stuff that is dedicated to that bridgeport (six inch vises,big rotab,etc.) with a space to load up job specific tooling.
I like the idea of organizing the tooling into the order of operation and a blueprint area.The cup holder is a given.

madman
06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
I have a Cart rolls on wheels you can mocve it to youre table on bridgeport and level out the Mill table to the Cart height and slide stuff on. Also i built a sliding metal shelf (made from a old metal table i had to shorten) and drilled a PILE of holes evenly to hold like 144 tools collets ect. It all slides in and out and works well. If you get me youre email from private message i can send you some pictures, If you knoew how you can post them here if yo uwant . ?? I do NOT bother with photobucket and all that. Im too dumb haha. It works well and is a handy addition to my overcrowded shop .Mike

Rex
06-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Last time Sears had a sale on toolboxes I bought a set for the mill and one for the lathe. Next time I do this I will buy better boxes, but it's working fine for now.
Note the high-tech mobile machine base

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/rburkheimer/58c92ec9.jpg

Tim in D
06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I have collected a couple of used office chair "dollies", you know, the 6 legged jobs with casters on them. If you knock chair off the central shaft, you can make up a 3/4" pipe adapter to slip onto the tapered end. With a suitable lenght of pipe I have fashioned a lazy susan that holds all my Aloris tooling and above that there is a tray for my measuring tools, chuck wrench and all the other crap it takes to run my two lathes. Off the back of that is a clip board that hold the drawing I'm working on. Real handy when I move between the two lathes during a project. I have a second one that holds a laptop and a spectrometer over on the other side of the shop.

Tim in D

RussZHC
06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Just throwing this out there...you could make a suspended box of some sort that would ride on the trolley beam...put a shelf at the table height for the heaviest items (rotab?)...assuming that beam goes to a storage area...sorta stupid idea but "neat" at the same time :o

I work generally on a much smaller scale/weight and find quite a few options: AV carts, heavier duty janitorial carts and, if you can find it, there are some nice heavy duty grocery carts [I am not talking shopping carts but ones that are more for vertical stacking and quite heavy duty...I ones I have seen only have about 3 levels, all like the metal shopping cart grid material and angled slightly to the rear]

1-800miner
06-23-2011, 11:52 PM
That is why I put the mill under the trolley.My back does not agree with lifting any thing heavier than a coffee cup.
Trolley them to the cart then roll the cart out of the way.

robosilo
06-25-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-x-36-inch-industrial-polypropylene-service-cart-92862.html

I have my Taig CNC set up on this cart and i love it. its plastic so it will never rust. The price is pretty good for what you get too. We have a few of these at my old job that holds nothing but fixture accessories (toe clamps, nuts, threaded studs, etc)