PDA

View Full Version : OT: japan gets a 6.7 quake

airsmith282
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
this is unreal once again japan is hit again , atleast not so bad but still a 6.7 thankfully no tusumi this time but still , i wounder howmany more times this is going to happen total out of the ordinary for so many in such a short time let alone the magnitued of them ummmmmmm makes you wounder..

philbur
06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Must be some kinda alien master plan I guess.;)

My understanding is that a really, really big one is often followed by some big after shocks. I doubt the Japanese even break step for a 6.7.

Phil:)

this is unreal once again japan is hit again , atleast not so bad but still a 6.7 thankfully no tusumi this time but still , i wounder howmany more times this is going to happen total out of the ordinary for so many in such a short time let alone the magnitued of them ummmmmmm makes you wounder..

fixerdave
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Nobody here (Central-West Japan) seems to care much... barely made the news. Just your typical lights-rattling shots and a short clip on the evacuation - school children being ushered long, that sort of thing. Lots of documentaries on the big Tsunami clean-up still... the obligatory Fukashima reports. Many, many stories about Tokyo area power saving. Martyrs living with their air-conditioners unplugged in 36C+ weather and the like. Lots of obligatory shots of sweaty people working with half the lightbulbs removed. It's that kind of place.

I'm not looking forward to the layover in Narita while flying home. It was muggy-hot in April on the trip here.

sasquatch
06-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Many of us including MYSELF don,t realize just how fortunate we really are!!!!

airsmith282
06-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Many of us including MYSELF don,t realize just how fortunate we really are!!!!

dont worry our time is comming as well tornnato's and earth quakes to come soon enough,

good thing is any of us that live far enough from the oceans we wont get hit with a tsumi , but we might just fall into the abyss if we get a bad enough earth quake , just give them time to get it the right setting on Harrp and were all going to get a s**T kicking ..

sasquatch
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
I,m actually thinking of a few safety measures for myself,,,,

Got the legs of my bed mounted on coil springs, panel beside the bed with a main power disconnect, fire extinuisher, respirator masks, hard hat, pick axe, bandages etc, coil of rope, things like that.:D

paulsv
06-23-2011, 09:22 PM
I,m actually thinking of a few safety measures for myself,,,,

Got the legs of my bed mounted on coil springs, panel beside the bed with a main power disconnect, fire extinuisher, respirator masks, hard hat, pick axe, bandages etc, coil of rope, things like that.:D

I bet you are freaking your wife out. :eek:

sasquatch
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Re: Freaking my wife out:

She gets really angry when there,s going to be say a thunderstorm, and i wear my respirator, hard hat , safety googles, along with my kevlar pants , the pockets i keep full of my treasured old micrometers etc.

Always be prepared i keep telling her.:rolleyes:

macona
06-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Re: Freaking my wife out:

She gets really angry when there,s going to be say a thunderstorm, and i wear my respirator, hard hat , safety googles, along with my kevlar pants , the pockets i keep full of my treasured old micrometers etc.

Always be prepared i keep telling her.:rolleyes:

What? No geiger counter?

mike os
06-24-2011, 02:46 AM
What? No geiger counter?

thats a bit ott for a thunderstorm surely?

Yow Ling
06-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Anything over a 5 will make you sit up and pay attention.

Last week we had a 5.5 followed an hour later by a 6.3 then we had a 5.3 the othernight at 10.30.

In total since last September we have had around 7500 quakes and aftershocks. They wear people down, and change the way you think, I personally dont like old buildings , multi story buildings arent much of a problem because most of the ones in the city are going to be demolished including a 26 floor hotel.

The Japanese have been put through alot more than us, I cant imagine what it must be like for them

macona
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
thats a bit ott for a thunderstorm surely?

Never can tell what might be in the rain!

mike os
06-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Never can tell what might be in the rain!

ok I'll give you that... bit ott when a ts is just a forcast then? rather than the actuality

Rustybolt
06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Personally. I blame Mothra.

RB211
06-24-2011, 06:00 PM
It would be nice if Japan stopped getting rocked, just maybe Al Nipon will hire me to train their pilot recruits... Been on the waiting list for a couple of months now... Damn mother nature...

AD5MB
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
a tsumi would certainly be a problem, but another tsunami would be much worse

whitis
06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Over there, that is called an aftershock. Actually, it is considered an aftershock of the Mar 11 quake. They have had 75 aftershocks over 6.0 since the Tohoku quake hit and 1348 significant ones of various sizes. They are probably going to be seeing many more before things finally bed down after the big Tohoku main-quake. It is about the 5th largest aftershock.

You can watch them all plotted on a map and animated here:
http://www.japanquakemap.com/

The Artful Bodger
06-25-2011, 02:47 AM
Anything over a 5 will make you sit up and pay attention.

Last week we had a 5.5 followed an hour later by a 6.3 then we had a 5.3 the othernight at 10.30.

In total since last September we have had around 7500 quakes and aftershocks. They wear people down, and change the way you think, I personally dont like old buildings , multi story buildings arent much of a problem because most of the ones in the city are going to be demolished including a 26 floor hotel.

The Japanese have been put through alot more than us, I cant imagine what it must be like for them

We are in Ashburton, hardly more than an hours drive from you and we barely feel a rattle although there are a few of the older buildings in town with red stickers. I saw them getting ready to drop a row of brick built shops this morning

gwilson
06-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Beginning to think "hmmmmmmm" is airsmith's new favorite word (non-word,actually).:)

Rosco-P
06-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Beginning to think "hmmmmmmm" is airsmith's new favorite word (non-word,actually).:)

hmmmmmmmmmmm....doughnuts.

gwilson
06-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Hmmmmmmm ? Hmmmmmmm.

sasquatch
06-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Did someone just hear a motor "Humming" as though it had bad start windings???:D

gwilson
06-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Hawwwwwwwww?