PDA

View Full Version : HSM on CD Where do we stand??

John Stevenson
02-23-2002, 06:38 AM
Copy of a letter sent to Village press today to ask about the standing of the CD that they initiated.
I'm hoping that if they read this?? They will reply favourable.
In the mean while if people will also email Vilage Press it may have some results.

nknopf@villagepress.com

To Village Press,
On your web page the thread on the CD subject now runs into six pages.
There is much demand for such a project from all over the world. Here in the UK past editions are like hens teeth.
So far I feel you have only sent he tip of the iceberg here with the replies, remember not all your readers subscribe to the internet list.

With the advance in technology and the internet the world is becoming a smaller place. Far more people have heard of HSM and PM in the UK than a few years ago.
Because we have a shifting situation between the two countries ie HSM is expensive here due the shipping etc just as ME and MEW are expensive in the US it makes sense to allow the publication of past issues on CD. OK there can't be up to date to protect current sales but people will buy then on CD for storage purposes and any CD sales will be sales that you would not have had for the printed version.

Just to prove my beliefs in this as soon as you announce the sale or sales of the CD[s] you will have my cheque by return of post or if you link to Paypal it will make it easier.
If people have to fill a form in and send a cheque off then you loose more sales than a spur of the moment pressing about 6 keys. I speak from experience here <grin >

Bob Quale
02-23-2002, 07:54 AM
You refer to two UK publications, ME and MEW. What are they and how can I get a copy? I can never read too much on home machining!

Thanks

RPease
02-23-2002, 08:06 AM
John,

Just in case Neil doesn't get right back to you on your letter (although I'm sure he will, he was very prompt on his reply to me), let me share with you (and others) a part of an e-mail that Neil sent to me last week. I had asked him about a couple of subjects. This part pertains to the "HSM on CD" subject.

......."When an author submits an article, it is understood that we secure first North American serial distribution rights. Essentially, that means the author has granted us the exclusive right to the first publication of their work. If it is serialized (more than one part), the right extends to all parts of the work. Once we are finished publishing the work, the rights return to the author. There is a proviso to cover the possible inclusion of an article in a book form, such as a "Project 8" book, and the author is compensated accordingly. So far, so good.

For electronic distribution (Internet, CD, etc.), we need to secure electronic distribution rights from the authors or their heirs. This becomes a separate issue from the printed version. For new articles, the copyright issue is not great, but for back issues the problem escalates. Those are the legal issues to overcome. Then comes the problem of transferring (scanning) and adjusting the images for the old articles. Essentially, all the articles from mid-1995 and earlier would need this work done."......

I'm not trying to speak for Neil or Village Press, but (since you mentioned it) I wanted to let others know that (at least to me) it sounds like they are attempting to do something on the issue. Granted, it would be nice if they gave all of us some periodic insight as to the progress, good or bad, but maybe it isn't that simple?????

Regards,
Rodger

John Stevenson
02-23-2002, 08:22 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPease:
John,
&lt; some snipped &gt;

For electronic distribution (Internet, CD, etc.), we need to secure electronic distribution rights from the authors or their heirs. This becomes a separate issue from the printed version. For new articles, the copyright issue is not great, but for back issues the problem escalates. Those are the legal issues to overcome. Then comes the problem of transferring (scanning) and adjusting the images for the old articles. Essentially, all the articles from mid-1995 and earlier would need this work done."......

I'm not trying to speak for Neil or Village Press, but (since you mentioned it) I wanted to let others know that (at least to me) it sounds like they are attempting to do something on the issue. Granted, it would be nice if they gave all of us some periodic insight as to the progress, good or bad, but maybe it isn't that simple?????

Regards,
Rodger
</font>

Thanks for that heads up.
From how I read this then, with the way the legal profession works in the US i.e. 10 lawers to each worker {g} this CD is never going to happen.
How can you determine if an author of an article published in say 1960 is still alive and if not, who own's the right.?
You could get a single copy and determine the owership of 9 of the 10 articles but then have to miss the last article out which for a lot of people following or needing a serial it's worthless.
Surely this was apparent BEFORE they got people interested?

Oh well, another flat battery in the car park of life ........................

John S.

Thrud
02-24-2002, 01:39 AM
John
Neil also told me about the legal hassles regarding authors copyrights and that they are working on it - so I leave it in his hands.

Rodger,

I buy MEW & MEW - $8.00 for ME, $12.00 for MEW (In Canadian dollars). MEW is the best of the two, but ME has some great inspiration in it - if you can stay off the internet long enough to buld something... ;-) (Right, John?)

Dave

Alex_Wine
03-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Home Power publishes all of their issues on a CD collection, going back to issue #1. They are up to around issue #88 or so. They include all ads as well as the content of each issue. And its searchable.

While I have no economic interest in their publication, I do have a strong interest in their content. A lot of it revolves around home-brew generation of electricity. You might find it almost as interesting as HSM.

BTW, their site is www.homepower.com (http://www.homepower.com) if you're interested in looking.

I, for one, would love to see a collection HSM on CD.

Indexer
03-19-2002, 09:39 PM
As someone who has a thing or two published in HSM, I would like to express an author's point of view on the 'HSM on CD' question. Yes, publication in HSM and MW is compensated. That compensation is appreciated as it does help defray the extra costs incurred in preparing the material for publication. But it sure isn't much as an hourly rate and I doubt that it is the reason that most home machinists submit their work to Village Press.

I know for myself that the primary motivation was to share the results of my work with other home machinists. Publication added the satisfaction that it was judged worth sharing. So making it available to a wider audience by putting it on CD is simply a furthering of this primary motivation. The work continues to be copyrighted, but that is necessary to ensure that the costs of production and distribution can be recovered and that there is recourse in the event of commercial exploitation (as if there is much in the way of commercial interest in home shop methods!).

Admittedly, there are the administrative issues that have been noted, and these will take some time and effort to resolve. But even as someone who as saved my copies of HSM and PIM/MW, I would be eager to buy the CD's and gain rapid access to that wealth of material instead of having to wade thru the dusty stacks of paper copies.

. . . and I hope that our friends at VP recognize that there is a lot of demand for the CD's just waiting to be satisfied!

------------------
Rich Kuzmack

Pi = 355/113 . . . to
&lt;85 parts per billion