X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x39
    • Nov 2002

"Weiler" lathe?

Is anyone familiar with this make of lathe? I have an appointment tomorrow morning to look at one that is for sale. According to the woman I spoke with, it was used by their late neighbor, who was a hobbyist. She's asking $100.00 for it, should be interesting.
  • Al Messer
    • Jun 2002

Never heard of it, but for a hundred bucks, what have you got to loose unless it is a pile of rust?

Comment

• mbensema
      • Jun 2002

Weiler is a German lathe manufacturer, they make a number of high quality lathes, mostly hybrid CNC machines now. If he took care of it, then it's probably a great buy.

Comment

• x39
        • Nov 2002

A web search has revealed that they produce a variety of lathes. Her description of the machine (small, belt driven) leads me to believe that it is simular to a Hardinge modelmakers lathe. I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning!

Comment

• x39
          • Nov 2002

Well, I got the machine. It is simular to a Hardinge DV Five-Nine model shop lathe. The machine has been neglected, and was filthy. It came equipped with a lever operated 5C collet closer, original three jaw chuck with inside and outside jaws, tool post, and a homemade toolpost grinder. Unfortunately, it is missing the tailstock, but it should be easy to adapt one from another machine.
          I wish I'd met the late owner. Judging from the projects he had around the place, and the self built cabin he lived in, he must have been an interesting guy. I asked about any other tooling that might have been around, but it had already been cleaned out. I did however find an old Lake fuel injector that they accepted my offer of ten bucks on, so that was a bonus.

Comment

• Joel
            • Jun 2001

Congratulations on one heck of a deal! Too bad about the tailstock.

Comment

• G.A. Ewen
              • Mar 2003

The old guy would be happy that it's going to a good home. How about posting some photos of it?
              To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• x39
                • Nov 2002

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by G.A. Ewen:
                How about posting some photos of it?</font>
                Alas, I'm temporarily out of the digital picture mode. My camera committed suicide by leaping out of my wife's hands to the sidewalk below. Hoping to get set up with another in a few weeks.

Comment

• piping-hot
                  • Dec 2003

Hi, I have just bought a very similar sounding Weiler lathe but it has no model number or any other identifying marks but is run by a two speed motor has 32" B/C with belt drive and variable pullies to give speed range. Oh and it looks like power cross feed but as it is not running at the moment I don't know. Any body have any info or a manual?? Will post pics soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X