PDA

View Full Version : Thrermal spray info needed!

flylo
06-23-2011, 07:03 PM
I just bought a Thermal spray setup for both powder & wire, both systems use combustable gas, not electric arc. I believe I have 9 guns total, 25 different powders, a skid of asst type wire, 2 large powder consoles, 2 large power supplies, 2 large wire feeders, & tons of spares & lathe attachments. Maybe enough for 2 systems each. I'm looking to someone who has done this for some guidance to get started. I've been amazed at what can be done with this process & want to get it going. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get started! This probably goes on the welding forum but this one gets a lot more looks. Thanks in advance! Eric:D

macona
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I have never done this process. But from everything I hear it is near black magic to do it without warping the living hell out of the piece you are building up.

CCWKen
06-23-2011, 08:35 PM
I have never done this process. But from everything I hear it is near black magic to do it without warping the living hell out of the piece you are building up.
Nonsense. It's used on crankshafts and cams all the time. The heat stays relatively shallow on the part. Like messy welding, the splatter fuses and hardens on contact with other surfaces.

Flylo- You lucky dog. I've been wanting a setup for a long time. Just couldn't swing the price for the amount of use I'd get out of it though. It's a must have for a crank shop doing production. You might contact the manufacturer, if still in business, and see if they offer instruction on the process. It may not be free but you'll learn it right. The next best is to hang around a crankshaft shop.

flylo
06-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Macona, too bad your not closer. It came with a lot of books & all the manuals I just know I can learn more info faster from someone experienced in it & all the tips & tricks not in the books. The guy I bought it from retired, but made 2 parts that went to the moon on the 1st manned lunar landing. Wish I could be that good.

becksmachine
06-23-2011, 11:56 PM
The powder process is a lot cleaner than the wire process, but probably much more expensive and time consuming for any larger build up projects.

Either process really should have a dedicated lathe/room, as the overspray goes everywhere and is extremely abrasive. The powder spray is doable on a good lathe with proper shielding if you are only an occasional user.

Are any of the equipment Metco brand?

Dave

macona
06-24-2011, 02:11 AM
Castolin Eutectic is a big brand in these things. I have one of their torches I gave to my dad. Crazy expensive for what it is.