PDA

View Full Version : Think these drill presses are worth trying to save?

adatesman
06-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Howdy All,

While poking around the partially collapsed garage of a house we're thinking of buying I spied what looks to be a 1930's Canedy-Otto dovetail column drill press and a 1940's Buffalo 15 Floor drill press. Think they're worth trying to save from the scrapper? I have a feeling the owner might be willing to give us a break on the asking price if we handle the cleanup of the garage, and seeing as we'll need a dumpster to deal with tearing down the roof anyway....

-aric.

http://shariconglobal.com/misc/buffalo.JPG

http://shariconglobal.com/misc/canedy-otto.JPG

RB211
06-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Have a buffalo 18 with a static phase converter on it. Payed 75$ for it I think. Its at my dads place, gets used a lot. The other one, no idea..

kf2qd
06-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Look like both have possibilities, and would cost less buying something new with the same capabilities. A couple hundred for a restore and they will last forever.

wierdscience
06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
I would say well worth trying to save and from the looks of things you may not even have to try that hard.

sasquatch
06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Agreed those presses appear not in bad shape.

Got my "Canadian" a buffalo really,, out of a shed the roof had caved in and knocked it into the dirt floor,, got it rebuilt and cleaned up, a nice drill press.

Good Find!!!

hardtail
06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
My buddy has done a lot of buy/selling over the years and he still talks about the Buffalo as the one that got away......in drill presses anyway

JoeLee
06-29-2011, 10:18 PM
You could make a lamp out of it.

JL.....................

justanengineer
06-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Those Buffalos are nice machines.

I would consider saving them for resale at least. I could be wrong, but I suspect it would cost quite a bit to buy a new drill press that actually has a spindle taper and not just external threads.

John Stevenson
06-30-2011, 03:46 AM
I'd go for the dovetail column machine any day.
OK looks older and more antique but if you have ever used a dovetail column machine you will never want to go back.

95% of all day to day drilling jobs with different drills can be handled by just simply moving the top spindle column, the bed never moves.

It's only large jobs than need the bed dropping and they are not that common.

If you have a job with say three drills of increasing size and length you can belt these in with the dovetail drill far, far faster than a normal drill press after having to unlock the table, then lower it and relock it.

form_change
06-30-2011, 06:30 AM
I worked in a place where we managed to get a second drill press for the (small) workshop we had, and it was amazingly convenient. Having the second machine meant drill presses could be left set up for particular operations or at certain speeds; for example tapping & clearance holes or holes & chamfers/ countersinks. If you have the space sort them out and set them up.

Michael

Rosco-P
06-30-2011, 07:45 AM
The Buffalo is likely a #15, 33 taper spindle. Still a very good drill.

Rustybolt
06-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd go for the dovetail column machine any day.
OK looks older and more antique but if you have ever used a dovetail column machine you will never want to go back.

95% of all day to day drilling jobs with different drills can be handled by just simply moving the top spindle column, the bed never moves.

It's only large jobs than need the bed dropping and they are not that common.

If you have a job with say three drills of increasing size and length you can belt these in with the dovetail drill far, far faster than a normal drill press after having to unlock the table, then lower it and relock it.

Also the quill is usually more square to the table.

adatesman
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Reading over on OWWM it seems these are quite beefy for their size, so yeah, I'll try and save them. And given we've decided to make an offer on the house it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Oh, and did I mention the garage they're in is something like 40' x 60' with no vertical support posts anywhere and the roof supported by a couple 16" I-beams spanning the width? It'll be quite the workshop once we get the roof fixed and junk cleaned out. :D

sasquatch
06-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Good to hear you,ll keep those drill presses.

Hmmm, 40x60??? Are you in a cold climate? Just wondering about heating that building that size?

lane
07-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Heck just scrape the rust of with a wire brush and use them like they are .