PDA

View Full Version : Southbend precision Lathe information

Levy
06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Hello all,
This is my first time on this site and I am hoping someone can help identify what I have and give me an ides if it is valuable or not.
I was given a: Southbend lathe, model C9-10-JR, catalogue number 2415Y, bed length 3.
This lathe is in pristine condition ( as much as I know about lathes which is nothing ) and was owned by a man that took pride in his work and tools.
It is mounted on two heavy metal standards with a third support for the motor, A carpenter friend came to check it out and says there are attachments in this box of accessory tools, gears etc that will allow it to be used for wood as well as metal.
I called Southbend and a nice fellow there said based on the information I gave him it was probably built in the 30's. I don't know if that is good or not but this lathe seems like it's in unbelievable shape for something that old and I want to find a home for it with someone that can appreciate the equipment.
I live in Milwaukee if there is someone in the area that might have a need for it. It weighs a ton!
I look forward to hearing from anyone.
I can be reached @ puinc@live.com or post something and hopefully I will see your response as I really don't know the ins and outs of these chat boards.
Thanks
Scott

Evan
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Does it look like this?

http://ixian.ca/pics8/sb_junior.jpg

or this?
http://ixian.ca/pics8/sb_junior2.jpg

Levy
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Hello Evan,
It definetly looks like the lower photo with a fairly large motor attached to the back.
Thanks
Scott

SMG
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Are you looking to sale it? Thanks Steve

Evan
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
It is definitely worth some money if it is in good condition. Unfortunately, while it may look excellent what is more important is the amount of unavoidable wear in many important parts. That requires an in depth knowledge of the machine to determine. The South Bend Junior predates the South Bend Workshop lathe series which are the most sought after models. The Junior is a very capable lathe but there are virtually no parts available from anywhere. How much it is worth will depend entirely on who wants it as there is no general market value to compare with. They are not common. It is circa the early 1930s.

Levy
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Are you looking to sale it? Thanks Steve

I guess so but i don't know how much it is worth and I'm not sure if i can sell it on this site.
Do people routinely sell items here?
Scott

Levy
06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
It is definitely worth some money if it is in good condition. Unfortunately, while it may look excellent what is more important is the amount of unavoidable wear in many important parts. That requires an in depth knowledge of the machine to determine. The South Bend Junior predates the South Bend Workshop lathe series which are the most sought after models. The Junior is a very capable lathe but there are virtually no parts available from anywhere. How much it is worth will depend entirely on who wants it as there is no general market value to compare with. They are not common. It is circa the early 1930s.

Evan,
Thanks for the comment
Scott

Evan
06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Advertising items for sale on this forum is not permitted. Our sponsor is Village Press magazines and they sell advertising space in their publications.