PDA

View Full Version : pesky mice

darryl
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I seem to recall that someone here had a good way to get rid of mice and perhaps rats as well. It seemed quite nifty, but I can't recall-

Our shop office has a problem- paperwork is getting chewed up and you can smell that there's some kind of critter life going on in the walls or maybe the ceiling. We're at the point of setting out peanut butter water traps. Short of poisons, is there a better way?

Black_Moons
07-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Office cat?

Evan
07-01-2011, 12:15 AM
I got rid of the mice in my garage shop by closing it up and setting a 20 lb block of dry ice on the floor. Left it shut for 24 hours and have never had any more problems.

While it will kill them it will probably make them leave first. Excessive CO2 in the blood makes you hyperventilate and gasp for air. They probably left for outside before dying as I never noticed any dead mice odour.

texjames
07-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Office cat?
That my fix...shop cat. They will bring them to ya also and show ya what they caught.

macona
07-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Id rather have mice than a cat.

Maybe a rat terrier? Or a pet snake?

Or just throw some packs of dcon around. Works good.

Also heard of putting out a bowl of dehydrated mashed potatoes and a bowl of water some ways away. They eat the potatoes and get thirsty, drink the water and the potatoes expand.

darryl
07-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Had a shop cat- it died mysteriously. Dry ice idea sounds interesting. Dehydrated mashed potatoes- hmm, never heard of that before but I'll mention it. Packs of dcon- haven't heard of that either. Well, now I have a few ideas, thanks.

Evan
07-01-2011, 02:25 AM
You need to take care around mice, especially if they are deer mice. They are carriers of Hanta Virus here in BC and it is often fatal if you are infected. Avoid breathing any dust that may be contaminated and is stirred up while dealing with them (droppings especially). Wash hands thoroughly after handling anything they may have had contact with.

DATo
07-01-2011, 04:54 AM
The real trick is to find out how they are getting in. I used to get them in the basement years ago and I couldn't figure out how in the hell they were getting in. So one day, when I had come to the proverbial "last straw", I did a thorough inspection of the entire outside of my house and garage and sure enough there was a small hole at the bottom of a doorjamb which had rotted away from contact with water which lay there when it rained. I did a "quick-and-dirty" fix with some hydraulic cement and that was the end of my mouse problem.

BigMike782
07-01-2011, 08:43 AM
The neatest trap I have seen is the 5 gallon bucket with a Coke can smeared with peanut butter on a rod running across the rim of the bucket.The bucket has anti freeze in the bottom(a couple of inches?) and a ramp leading the the rim of the bucket.The mouse goes out on the can for a peanutty treat and goes for a swim in the AF.

If I was going to use an oxygen displacing gas I would have to use helium or hydrogen because the last mouse nest I found in the shop was on storage racking almost to the ceiling(10')

bborr01
07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Sticky traps.

They work well and you don't have dead mice rotting in your walls or attic.

One note: they don't work well in cold areas. The sticky stuff gets hard and loses it's stickiness until they warm up.

Brian

Abner
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I live in the woods surrounded by colonies of breeding mice. I have resigned myself to the idea of mouse management as my reality vs the preferred pipe dream of mouse extermination:rolleyes: . I find that the mouse population can wax and wain. During 'mouse migration season' - cold weather induced migration indoors - I can catch 3-5 per week. Also if I catch a small one I know I will be catching it's siblings in short order.

I intentionally leave a spot for mice to enter my shop, when I open the door a quick glance is all it takes to check the trap. I use 'The Better Mousetrap' by Intruder. It trigger is as wide as the trap. I place it facing the wall right next to the "mouse entrance'. I have never had a missed catch.

Mice like to run along walls. I have heard that they rub their whiskers on the wall or they pee along these areas, either way they pick up speed along walls for some reason. This is the whole idea with the intruder trap. You place it against, and facing the wall. And they work really good.

And best of all in my opinion is that it doesn't need bait. Peanut butter will go rancid and then it doesn't work. I don't have the time or desire to bait traps over and over. Cleaning rancid peanut butter off the triggers of standard victor's was a pain.

They are available of e-bay as well as amazon. There is a similar one by victor which you have to bait, so I don't use them. I recommend these traps to every one I know. I just bought a box of 1 dozen and a couple of rat traps from the same place. I have a lot of out buildings.

http://www.amazon.com/Intruder-Better-Mousetrap-6-Pack/dp/B0007NY5CO

oil mac
07-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Leave the wife in the workshop :eek: :D

Dan.

darryl
07-01-2011, 04:27 PM
We don't know what killed the cat- it was ill one morning, and died at the vets later that morning. Just keeled over and that was it. They decided against a test to see what it died from, as that would have been extra cost and wouldn't bring the cat back anyway.

There has been a dead smell in the office on and off for months. The cat always wanted to get in there, so as a mouse catcher, we let it. Maybe it died from hanta- We don't think it would be appropriate for our boss to die from that :) He's a good guy-

No access holes can be found, but small rodents can get through some pretty tiny spots- they could be climbing up between the siding and the concrete foundation.

In any event we want them gone and not dying inside the walls. It's not an option at this point to rip out all the drywall to clean out and sterilize the structure :(

sasquatch
07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I,ve always found using just the regular Victor mouse traps --Baited with a raisin,, (and be sure to jam the raisin onto the bait metal thingy,, ), The mouse has to tug to get it off and it always worked excellent for me.

Boucher
07-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I left the lid off the metal trash can that I kept the guard dog's food in. Bags of cement were stacked level with the top of the can. There was just a small amount of food left in the can. The next morning I had about a dozen mice in the trash can. They could not climb the slick metal can and they could not jump high enough to get out. Maybe they were too full of dog food to jump or they hadn't planned on leaving until the food was all gone.

loose nut
07-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Bait your traps with chocolate, mice love it, and it doesn't go bad..

loose nut
07-02-2011, 08:14 AM
If I was going to use an oxygen displacing gas I would have to use helium or hydrogen because the last mouse nest I found in the shop was on storage racking almost to the ceiling(10')

Use hydrogen and to make it work better throw in a lite match. That will clean them out.:D :D

Abner
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
chocolate for mouse bait??? you are a loose nut:D

Black Forest
07-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey, we use Nutella on our mouse traps. I works great.

Nutella is a chocolate spread for rolls or bread. Usually for breakfast.

Abner
07-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Back forest is a loose nut as well:D . The next guy will probably say he uses his wife's apple pie for mouse bait.

rockrat
07-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Good stuff here - Mouse trap discussion on the HSM BBS (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=38427&page=5)

I left in on page five because that was where I replied in the linked posting. Start at the beginning and read on if needed. Many good replies.

Good luck, rock~

loose nut
07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
chocolate for mouse bait??? you are a loose nut:D

No, seriously, we had a bag of chocolate candies in a cupboard and we heard a mouse rattling around there in the night. The next morning I checked it out and the candies where all chewed up, nice little mouse teeth marks in them. Must have had a real good sugar buzz going for a while.

ftl
07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I've successfully used ultrasonic "screamers". They are little units that plug into an outlet and put out an ultrasonic sound that the rodents can't stand.

We moved out to the country a year ago and had a couple of mice nesting in the back of my wife's MGB. I put in a couple of screamers and haven't seen evedence of a mouse in the garage since.

Some of these make a slight buzzing noise when they operate. They would be very annoying if you were around them for a long time. They're ok in a garage or storage area.

I've found others that are silent (to my ears anyway). They seem to work just as well. I think they were both made by Victor, but the bigger ones were silent. It could have just been the batch as well.

flutedchamber
07-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Buy either damaged self adhesive floor tiles at Lowes or Home Depot..or at a local dollar store.

Cut the tiles in quarters, which gives you a 6X6 inch sticky square. Peel the paper off and put a chunk of dry dog food in the middle of the tile.

Put the tile along a wall or better yet..in a corner. Works as well as a sticky mouse trap and holds a lot better for less money.

You can make smaller traps without bait and put them in corners and under benches. They trap spiders and crickets.

BigBoy1
07-06-2011, 07:40 AM
My shop use to have mice but I had another critter move in and I have not seen a mouse since. We live in a very rural area and are surrounded by woods. The critter that moved in was 4'-5' black snake. I find its shed skin in remote corners of the shop. Since I've been finding shed snake skins, I have not had a mouse problem. The snake has been around for a few years and it is mutually beneficital relationship. The snake can stay in the shop and have all the free food it wants.

rohart
07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
We had a family of mice - they ate in the larder, in the kitchen, anywhere they could carry a little piece of food. And their spoor was everywhere.

We tried clever traps, we tried stupid traps.

But what worked was some transparent coloured plastic humane traps we got from a local pet store. Rectangular cylinders 1 1/2" x 2" x 5" with a one-way trap door half way in. Bait ? Chocolate did the trick. A little square of chocolate and by morning we had our intruder. It took a couple of weeks to clear the place, one or two per night.

Don't forget to check the trap in the morning, though, or the smell means you'll need a new trap.

Ron of Va
07-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I have never tried this, but it looks cool. A Tin Cat repeating Mouse Trap
http://www.biconet.com/traps/tincat.html