PDA

View Full Version : OT pocket camera

duckman
07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
In the market for a pocket camera that can take real good close up pictures, like 3" away from lens and in focus, would like to stay under $300.00, what are some recommendations.

macona
07-02-2011, 03:21 PM
The iphone4 does a pretty darn good job. 5 megapixels and will focus up to about 2-3" from the subject. Heres a quick one I just shot, three 3/8" x 1" bolts. Lighting was very poor so it is a bit grainy.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5280/5894339439_882d200ffe_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/5894339439/)
Bolts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/5894339439/) by macona (http://www.flickr.com/people/67292116@N00/), on Flickr

duckman
07-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks Macona but I want a camera not a cell phone, I refuse to get tied into a long term contract.

topct
07-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Cannon Power Shot SD1400 IS, taken at lowest resolution at about 2 in. About $150 or so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/topct/IMG_0155.jpg

DENedbalek
07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I recently bought a Sony DSC-XH5 that has turned out to be great little 10 MP camera with 10X zoom. Take a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dschx5

Dwayne

DATo
07-02-2011, 04:00 PM
My Olympus Piece Of C--- that my employer gave me for 35 years of loyal service. I figure if I stay there another 35 years I might get a tripod of equally little worth. Then again it might be my fault for not knowing how to use it correctly ...

"Dammit Jim, I'm a machinist not a photographer!" - Snotty

Here, the devil made me do it.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/D-D-DATonian/Olympus.jpg

J Tiers
07-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a Canon "Digital Elph" with model number of 1300 something...... I can look at it if needed.

12 megapixel if you want it, can be set to less, focuses quite well, good closeup performance, takes 35 min of video if you want that (on a 4 GB card).

Easily fits in my jeans pocket. Well under $200, IIRC

Someone posted concerning problems with the lens on some new Canon jamming if any obstruction was in the way when button was pushed. Mine just gives a "lens fault" and if power is cycled, it is good to go. Actually had it do that one time.

Ian B
07-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Panasonic DMC-TZ10 - focuses down to about 1/2" from the lens, never had a pocket camera like it. All the gizmos, in your price range I think.

Ian

aboard_epsilon
07-02-2011, 06:00 PM
In the market for a pocket camera that can take real good close up pictures, like 3" away from lens and in focus, would like to stay under $300.00, what are some recommendations.

mine doesn't focus 3 inches away ..but i hold it about 10 inches away put it in macro mode and zoom in .

why do you need it to focus 3 inches away ?

all the best.markj

duckman
07-02-2011, 07:22 PM
aboard_epsilon what you say is what I'm looking for but you didn't say what you have. I still have my 35MM Canon and a Fine Pix DSLR but I want something that I can throw in my pocket and not have to lug around my camera bag.

ftl
07-02-2011, 11:09 PM
A Pentax W30/60/90 or the new version a WG-1. I think the W90 is in your price range.

Fully water proof and very durable. Close up to 1cm away with afield of view of about that. The W90 and WG-1 both have builtin LED's to help light the subject.

BudB
07-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Another vote for the Canon Elph. I've carried a 1100 for 3 years and a million miles and it's never dissappointed me.

ikdor
07-03-2011, 05:44 AM
I think the Canon compact cameras are by far the best bang for the buck. Most of them will focus on items actually touching the lens. All the canons I've had make fantastic close up shots (ixus(=elph) 430, ixus 40, SX100, G12)

I'd grab something like an Elph 100 (or an S95 if money was no object) for "pocketability".
Or an A1200 as a cheap shopcam, as it runs on penlites.

Example from the SX100, the tip image is a crop from the other picture
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae124/ikdor/IMG_2459.jpg
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae124/ikdor/IMG_2459tip.jpg
Igor

aboard_epsilon
07-03-2011, 07:09 AM
aboard_epsilon what you say is what I'm looking for but you didn't say what you have. I still have my 35MM Canon and a Fine Pix DSLR but I want something that I can throw in my pocket and not have to lug around my camera bag.
Mine dont fit in my pocket..and its quite old now ..its an Olympus 2040 zoom

my little niece has a good camera ...very small ..not too sure of its macro function ...but it takes videos as good as a pro camera with image stabilization built in, the lot

its a fugi finepix Z70

http://www.steves-digicams.com/press-releases/consumer-digital-camera/new-finepix-z70-the-latest-z-series-model-from-fuji.html

here's some movies she made with it ......bare in mind that this is a 14 year old girl with absolutely no clue on how to use a camera...last one her dad was using it .he dont have a clue either..AND HE USUALLY HAS THE SHAKES WHEN TAKING PICTURES !!

website i built to sell their dogs...most of the pics only remain as thumbs...as dogs were sold.. I deleted full size

but have a look at the quality of the vids..These were shot in normal mode ..the camera has HD capability

https://sites.google.com/site/staffybluebulls/video

i was quite impressed

all the best.markj

PixMan
07-03-2011, 08:58 AM
While I have a couple of Nikon digital SLRs and an array of lenses, most of the photos you see I've posted from my Photobucket account were shot with my little Canon Powershot Digital Elph, an SD880iS. It focuses down to 1", but for general use I like that it's "wide end" is about equivalent to a 28mm lens on a 35mm film SLR. Most of these pocket cameras are limited to about the equivalent of a 35mm lens (very mild wide angle.)

It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and the batteries last a really long time between charge. I take most of my pix with the flash OFF, and I still get a pretty sharp photo. No complaints. When it was a "current product" two years ago, it cost me $249, shipped.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/kenm10759/Dads%20shop/IMG_0435-r.jpg

It takes a decent video too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNnK4exD3zg

Smokedaddy
07-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Paul Alciatore
07-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I am not making a recomendation for any model, but am suggesting that you do include a large screen viewer in your specs. My present camera has a smaller screen and it is hard to tell if the shot is in focus.

darryl
07-03-2011, 11:45 PM
While not strictly a pocket camera, the Canon SX-130 has caught my eye. I don't know about the close-up performance, but it does have a large view screen and lots of optical zoom- two things which I'm looking for. It's either a bit of a fat pocket camera, or a very squashed full-size model like my Rebel XT. Something like that is kind of what I'm leaning towards as an all-around camera, provided it can take close-ups well.

Evan
07-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Anything from Canon will very likely do what you need. To be certain look up reviews on Steve's Digicams.

http://www.steves-digicams.com

If you can find a used Canon TX1 in good condition it is a very small camera that does it all and does it very well. High Def video with stereo sound, zooming while recording and excellent still capability with 10x optical zoom and macro to the lens surface. It is made of Stainless Steel, not plastic. They were originally around $700 but I picked mine up for $250 new from Canon when they were closing them out. I went back to buy another and discovered they were all sold out. Somebody bought all the remaining stock is was/is selling them on eBay. You might check there since you may be able to get a deal knowing that they paid $250 each for them.

This is Super Macro mode on the TX1: It's a picture of this :D

http://ixian.ca/pics8/biggrin2.jpg

aboard_epsilon
07-04-2011, 05:20 AM
all i can say about canon ..is that quite a lot seem to suffer from lens retraction / extension problems ..E18 error..i wouldnt touch one .

all the best.markj

Evan
07-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Umm, quite a lot of all models?

Seastar
07-04-2011, 10:04 AM
+1 on the Cannon cameras
I have had an SX120IS for 2 years and it has been excellent.
It will focus down to an inch, has 10X optical zoom, 10 mpixel and runs on AA batteries.
The latest version, the SX130IS , 12.1 mpixel, sells for under $200 on Amazon and other sites.
I have owned several brands but the Cannons beat them all especially at the "pocket" level.
Bill

flylo
07-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a Nikon coolpix I bought on Ebay for $15. It was not the newest model but the one before. Works great, uses 2 AA batt & has quite a long battery life.

J Tiers
07-04-2011, 02:15 PM
all i can say about canon ..is that quite a lot seem to suffer from lens retraction / extension problems ..E18 error..i wouldnt touch one .

all the best.markj

See above......

I have 2 of them...... an older A-80 and an "ELPH" 1300.

If the lens is blocked, you get a "lens error" and you reset, all OK.

The mentioned problems that were linked here seemed to have resulted from the camera being "thrown" downstairs, landing on carpet.... not much pad there) WHILE the lens was extended.

The link person seems to have got it back and immediately dropped it again...... And complains because Canon can't repair it after it fell probably 6 or more feet to the floor possibly onto its lens :rolleyes: .

other issues I can't tell about

John Stevenson
07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae124/ikdor/IMG_2459tip.jpg

I think your vulture needs a groom :rolleyes:

aboard_epsilon
07-04-2011, 04:24 PM
See above......

I have 2 of them...... an older A-80 and an "ELPH" 1300.

If the lens is blocked, you get a "lens error" and you reset, all OK.

The mentioned problems that were linked here seemed to have resulted from the camera being "thrown" downstairs, landing on carpet.... not much pad there) WHILE the lens was extended.

The link person seems to have got it back and immediately dropped it again...... And complains because Canon can't repair it after it fell probably 6 or more feet to the floor possibly onto its lens :rolleyes: .

other issues I can't tell about
how did you think i found that site in the first place ..that's just one site there are many others .

i have a brother that works as a bin man / garbage man ..the things are like dyson vacuums the way they get chucked away.

i have a mate who hunts cams in car boot sales ..lots of canons with stuck lens turn up

he's given me a couple of them ...one, i could not get to unstick its self ..and went in the bin ..another i have here,an A60, gets stuck every time i bring it out ..a light rap on a wooden table sorts it out ..

there are a few sites somewhere dealing with this problem ..that's where i got the rap on the table tip from ..

the above info ..is how i learnt...i wouldn't tell anybody not to buy one if i hadn't had a little experience of them..that little bit is enough to convince "me" not to buy one new.........everyone else ..its up to them....only don't say you were never warned ...

i never realized how common the problem was until i had one ..and started searching on the net for the solution ....i haven't spent any money on them ..and would be pissed if i did ..

here you go

129,000 results for lens stuck
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sa=X&ei=Nx4STtLvNIi1hAeU-ZyCDg&ved=0CB4QBSgA&q=canon+stock+%22lens+stuck%22&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=59afda2a596a80d7&biw=800&bih=417

that doesn't count.... lens sticking ..jammed ..seized..frozen.lens not coming out or E18

BTW i bought two more of my Olympus 2040's on ebay about a couple of years back by searching the words Olympus 2040 and noisy lens........most..maybe all, have this fault ...but i don't think its a fault..they go on forever ...but when mentioned ..it sure puts the other bidders off ..and i got them for peanuts .. :)

the oly is no good to him though ..too big

all the best.markj

Evan
07-04-2011, 04:55 PM
129,000 results for lens stuck

Actually, that is 129000 results for the word "canon" or the word "stock" or the phrase "lens stuck" or any combination of the three.

If you search on "canon lens stuck" there are only 4 pages of results. It still says 101000 found but that is the number of times the phrase was found on the same 40 sites. This thread alone will return a number of hits for that phrase because it is repeated a number of times. This site will return many more because of the other thread on the subject.

PixMan
07-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Being a die-hard Nikon user, it really pained me to buy a Canon over a Nikon compact camera. That said, no regrets. No sticky lens, no failures, no complaints. I'd heard way too many complaints about the Nikon "CoolPix" point & shoot cameras freezing up and having to go back in for service.

Like all things electronic today, there's good ones and "made on a Monday" ones. With these kind of cameras, you just look for the features you want, read some reviews and make the buy. In my case I really insisted upon the wide angle end of the zoom range and capacity for short YouTube style videos and a $250 TOTAL expense limit. I got it with the very-pocketable Powershot Digital Elph I have for $249 and free shipping.

Evan
07-04-2011, 06:56 PM
The only camera I have had a problem with was my Nikon Coolpix 4300. One month after the warranty expired the lens extend/retract mechanism failed. It was due to a driver failure cause by the lens cap being left on. It doesn't have enough power to pop the cap off and the sensor system doesn't reverse in time to prevent an overload. They fixed it for the cost of labour only with the parts supplied no charge. The labour cost was covered by my credit card insurance.

I have looked up the problems related to the Canon E18 failure and it is caused by anything that either prevents the lens from moving or by the lens mechanism being knocked in such a way that the high pitch spiral groove is disengaged from the follower. Apparently, in many cases it can be fixed by just wiggling the extended lens until it reengages the follower. The other primary problem that causes the error is dirt or sand in the lens housing which jams the mechanism.

J Tiers
07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
And I believe I mentioned, now for the 3rd time, that on the current "Elph" I have, it GIVES A "LENS FAULT" if you stop the lens extending..... Then you reset and it works.

These things reach epic proportions on the web as each "bitch and moan" site gets referenced by others, and they get referenced by the first site and 5 dozen others, ad nauseum.

Sort it all out and you maybe find a couple hundred problems in 5 million cameras sold.

Cameras are delicate devices..... there are lots of ways to mess up a regular old 35mm camera too, but fewer people complain, because fewer people HAVE one, and those that do tend to understand that there is some delicacy to them, they are not droppable.

Personally, I , as an engineer, think it is very excellent design to get the "Elph" pocket cameras to work at all, given the size. It is not surprising to me that they are not "Bubba-proof".

Evan
07-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Personally, I , as an engineer, think it is very excellent design to get the "Elph" pocket cameras to work at all, given the size. It is not surprising to me that they are not "Bubba-proof".

It amazes me that it is possible to make something that complex fit into such a small space and still be reliable or even work at all. They are engineering marvels, especially when you consider how little they cost. Talk about advanced tech being indistinguishable from magic, digital cameras are an excellent example.

I get a laugh whenever a story plot includes great advances being due to getting our hands on advanced alien technology. Fat chance. If we sent any of our current hi tech devices back even just 50 years in time not only would the science establishment not be able to understand how it works but they would destroy it in the attempt to find out.

J Tiers
07-04-2011, 11:56 PM
I get a laugh whenever a story plot includes great advances being due to getting our hands on advanced alien technology. Fat chance. If we sent any of our current hi tech devices back even just 50 years in time not only would the science establishment not be able to understand how it works but they would destroy it in the attempt to find out.

probably 50 years would still be within a time when many of the things would be seen as "possible". That's 1961, the foundations for much of what we have were already laid, and SOME people would see it for what it is, even if they would be very surprised at the fact it was done.

Go pre-1930, maybe pre-1950 and it's a slam-dunk that nobody would 'get it" except one or two who have the necessary breadth of knowledge might guess, and even they would not get much benefit from knowing it was possible..

I look at the "Elph" and it's clear that every mm^3 in that thing is used. Lots of really good CAD modeling and motion simulation in that design.

John Stevenson
07-05-2011, 04:17 AM
I for one am happy that in some cases the reversal to make everything as tiny as possible is being reversed, hope it starts to apply to camera's.

Take mobile phones, they started to get so tiny I wasn't able to use them and I don't have particularly large fingers. Now smart phones have come out and the trend is for larger screens so size has gone back up and so has ease of use.

Just bought a Samsung Gallaxy to replace a crap Nokia X6 and it's light years in front. The X6 used to spend literally 15 minutes trying to connect to the web, then time out wheras the Samsung connects in seconds

Dawai
07-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Aliens? no, but I don't think they are made by human hands anymore.
Amazing some of the assembly machinery made these days.

MY Nikon 4300, thou not a pocket camera, after quite a few years we have had one problem, My wife fell stepping on some uneven ground here and rolled on the ground while the lens was extended.. It jammed.. I banged it with the heel of my hand. (making a crunching sound) it reset and has not missed a beat.. Batteries for it, another story.. I got five or six all crap..

The Polaroid DVR movie camera, won at a company give away, has now been about two thousand miles bolted to the handlebars on the harley (read that well vibrated) and still a lot of fun.. thou a handgun in the saddlebag needed reassembly work. (still not got a video of that sporty doing a wheelie at 100) It is blown up, whole bottom gone from the cases with a Nitrous charge.

aostling
07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Browsing in Keeble & Shuchat yesterday I spotted this enticing book: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Camera-Hackers-Manual-Tricks/dp/193395258X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309878456&sr=1-1. It made me wish I currently owned a hackable Canon P&S, to try out some of these tricks.

Evan
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
So buy one.

aostling
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
So buy one.

Okay. I've owned three Powershots -- a G7, an A570, and an S90. I will start researching for the next one.

[edit] but again, I'm forgetting the hackware is not available for Mac, so less than convenient for me.

Jeremy_BP
07-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I got a casio ex-fh25. Love it. It takes very clean pictures, and the video is nice as well. You may not use it, but the high-speed video function has come in handy any number of times for me.

Here's an example photo. Part of the board I was photographing was bumping into the lens housing. What a fun soldering job.
http://tinyworkshop.org/ul/CIMG0959.png

tyrone shewlaces
07-06-2011, 01:24 AM
I'll offer my thoughts base on my own limited experience.

First of all, that Canon hack thing is pretty cool. It's just cool that you can do things like that at all. I've messed around a little with the CHDK thing and it seems to work just fine and it's pretty simple.

So that should indicate that I have a Canon. It's my current camera and I like it fine. The only problem I've had with it is it took a tumble one day and the battery door is kind of cracked so I have to just fiddle with it now & then. It's not a pocket camera and I've had it for a few years, so I guess that means it's just a beater, but it still works fine and takes very nice pictures.

My old camera was an Olympus. When I went to go researching and inevitably picking my current Canon, I discovered that the new Olympus used their own type of data storage card, and the same was true for my old one. Nix. I hate when these companies try to make everything proprietary like that. No reason they need to use something else other than the same old SD cards that everything else in the world uses. Olympus is not on my list anymore just for that reason.

I will never buy anything else from Sony ever again for the rest of my life. They've got their hands into all sorts of business ventures and they shoot themselves in the foot by trying to make most everything they make use proprietary stuff, be it hardware or software or file types or whatever. It mucks up the works and makes it less pleasant to own and deal with. Too bad, because their hardware usually has some very nice bells & whistles and seems to be made pretty well, but it's far overshadowed by their heavy-handed business model. They're not the only kid on the block, so that's just stupid.

So I bought a Canon camera that day. Good camera for the money - good bang for buck. Never been disappointed with it.

I also bought a Canon video camera, but that's mainly because the one I got at the time (not true anymore) was the only one that had a basic input jack for a 1/8" stereo external microphone. Again, Sony makes you buy their microphone to fit their own connection - stupid. Their mics are fine, but why do that? Makes no sense.

Anyways, that's my take. So +1 for Canon, a minus for Olympus and a big minus for Sony. There are likely other cameras that would perform just fine, but that's the three I've experienced. Canon has enjoyed a good reputation in the camera world for a long time and I guess that doesn't hurt either.

Sorry this wasn't advice for any specific models but rather the companies behind the makes. Just thought I'd offer it - if it was important to me it might be important to you as well.

macona
07-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Okay. I've owned three Powershots -- a G7, an A570, and an S90. I will start researching for the next one.

[edit] but again, I'm forgetting the hackware is not available for Mac, so less than convenient for me.

CHDK does not care what platform you are using. You just copy the firmware to the sd card.

I for one am happy that in some cases the reversal to make everything as tiny as possible is being reversed, hope it starts to apply to camera's.

This one big enough? Hasselblad's 200mp camera:

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h-system/h4d-200ms.aspx

There are still big cameras out there. Most of the higher end DSLRs have standard 35mm camera sized bodies.

John Stevenson
07-06-2011, 02:50 AM
Mac,
I know there are large out there but the post was more about reversing the trend to make everything as tiny as possible because they can at the expense of usable.

My current camera is a Panasonic DMC-LS75, cheap cheerful and does what I want.
I take many workshop photo's of jobs and setups, probably not as good as a lot I see here but enough for people to get an idea and I think that counts more than quality.

I also agree with Tyrone as regards the Sony, my first digital was a Sony, nice camera but with proprietary battery and memory card with soon got upgraded this became obsolete overnight.

This Panasonic and Gerts Pentax both take 2 rechargeable AA's and both take SD cards so nothing to get stuck over.

It also has the facility to store about 20 pictures on internal memory for those odd times you shoot out into the workshop to get a snap and forget the SD card is still in the computer slot.

Evan
07-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Here's an example photo. Part of the board I was photographing was bumping into the lens housing. What a fun soldering job.

There is a technique and a freeware program to implement what is called Focus Stacking. It's a method of combining several images taken at different focus distances to produce a macro image that has infinite depth of field. It works extremely well.

Here is an example:

http://ixian.ca/pics7/doffinal.jpg

The program is available here:

http://hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZM/News.htm

aostling
07-06-2011, 03:15 AM
CHDK does not care what platform you are using. You just copy the firmware to the sd card.

Thanks for reminding me. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac has more info.

Jeremy_BP
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
There is a technique and a freeware program to implement what is called Focus Stacking. It's a method of combining several images taken at different focus distances to produce a macro image that has infinite depth of field. It works extremely well.

Here is an example:

http://ixian.ca/pics7/doffinal.jpg

The program is available here:

http://hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZM/News.htm

Hm. Looks like fun. Thanks for the link!

tyrone shewlaces
07-06-2011, 05:46 PM
There is a technique and a freeware program to implement what is called Focus Stacking ...

Wow that IS cool. And that solves the problem I've always had with close-up stuff - the extremely short DOF.

Thanks for that link. Every once in a while you actually come up with something useful. :p

J Tiers
07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
If you can control the F-stop, you can do a bit better..... by setting for a small aperture. Not perfect.

JFLingg
07-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the thread, Duckman, and thanks to all of the input. I'm finally going to get the macro pictures I want from my Nikon Coolpix L18, it was not mentioned, but it does have similar features.

By the way, I dropped it yesterday with the lens out, "Lens Error" message immediately. I pushed on the lens a little, "clunk", and it's fine again.

Thanks again, John F. Lingg

duckman
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks to all who replied to thread I am so confused now I'm going to lie down, naw not really I think I'm going with a Canon, thanks again to all repliers.

tyrone shewlaces
07-21-2011, 05:37 PM
In an effort to document this thread and support my objection to Sony's jughead proprietary business approach, I thought I'd link to something I saw today. Normally I wouldn't believe a company would stoop to this moronic level, but from past experience I'm not surprised that apparently Sony has some kind of chip IN THEIR BATTERIES which precludes you from using anything other than the ones you buy from them (for an exorbitant price of course). I would guess Sony isn't the only company doing this, but I'm certainly not surprised that they pounced on this technique.

http://hackaday.com/2011/07/21/bypassing-manufacturer-imposed-battery-lockouts/

What a bunch of malarkey. They do this to make more money, and yet I'm not the only one (understatement) from whom they won't get another dime just because of this kind of stuff.

Evan
07-21-2011, 06:52 PM
There isn't the slightest chance that I will buy any product that locks me in to a proprietary power supply whether it is battery or a line powered supply. I didn't know about this latest ripoff. Thanks for posting about it.

tyrone shewlaces
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
There isn't the slightest chance that I will buy any product that locks me in to a proprietary power supply whether it is battery or a line powered supply.

Yea me too.
DC power is just sooo tricky that you can't trust customers to not screw it up.:rolleyes:
Next thing you know they'll be making devices that only run on 82.7Hz and force customers to buy power from them.

Oh well. I put the last nail in their coffin several years ago. This just reinforces my resolve.

aostling
07-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Panasonic did this too, with a firmware upgrade for the Lumix LX3. Once you made the upgrade the camera would not recognize a non-proprietary battery. As I recall there was some difficulty in reverting to the earlier firmware version, and this didn't sit well with the owners.