PDA

View Full Version : Spiders Taking Over!

rode2rouen
07-03-2011, 08:56 PM
My shop/garage is being taken over by spiders!!!
Most are of the "Daddy Longlegs" type.
I have sprayed regular bug stuff, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.
Anyone have a recommendation?

Rex

sasquatch
07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Must be a "Mommy Hot Legs" spider around and they're multiplying.???

Sorry i have no idea except those spiders are perfectly harmless.

darryl
07-03-2011, 09:06 PM
If they eat up all the other bugs, they're beneficial. If they have nothing to eat in there, they will eat each other until only a few very large ones remain. Then you might need combat boots- :)

radkins
07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
"Daddy-long-legs" are not spiders are they?

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsectarthropods/f/daddylonglegs.htm

38_Cal
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Then you might need combat boots

Camel spiders? Son met them in Iraq...nasty!

David

JoeFin
07-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Malathion concentrate and a big bug sprayer

texjames
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I have a problem with black widow spiders in my shop usually around the bottoms outside edge of roll up doors and entry doors.I found some insecticide spray at lowes thats awesome.I don't remember the name but its got a big ole nasty spider on the can.When ya go to pick the can up you have to take a close look that its not a real spider on the can.It works great.No spiders for several months after application and kills on contact as well.

Orrin
07-03-2011, 10:09 PM
We have spiders, too, and they make a heckuva mess; but, I leave them alone and vacuum up their webs three or four times a year.

If you are determined to get rid of them, get some Tempo. We get ours at our local farm supply store. It is very potent, but safe to use inside the home.

Our biggest nuisance insect is box elder bugs. They like to hang out around the windows in the shop. Whenever I spray Tempo around the windows I'll be sweeping up dead bugs for the next year, or more, just with that one application.

Tempo is expensive, but a very little goes a long way. Our first little bottle (4 oz., perhaps) lasted us for years.

Orrin

Ohio Mike
07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
My house and garage was a nightmare when I moved in. I buy Ortho Home Defense by the gallon at Home Depot and pour it into a one gallon pump sprayer like you'd use in your yard. I spray the perimeter of the garage and basement along with the basement windows. I also do the garage door. I spray twice a year first when it warms up and they get active, and again in the fall when it gets cold and they try to fine a warm spot to hide. Seems to work when I forget to do it the come back.

Bill Pace
07-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Daddy long legs are rampant here, seems like year round, though in the summer are a lot of em. They seemingly can get anywhere, puzzles me how they get in the house, what with all those legs sticking every where! They will congregate under the eaves of the shop and house in a cluster/wad of dozens and dozens. But at least they are harmless. A bug man friend said that spiders in general are one of the more difficult critters to kill with the sprays because they stand above the surface, distancing them from the poison - so the grandaddy oughta be really hard to get...

Carld
07-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Borax powder along the walls and at the doors.

wtrueman
07-03-2011, 10:53 PM
First of all: Most of the spiders are useful. OK: having said that, I find the daddy long legs seem to keep the bottom of my shop free of "crawlies". Of course, up here, our major problem right now, is mosquitoes. I DON'T have the problem you guys in the south do but still feel sympathy for me please as there is still snow coming in on the logging trucks at my place. Wayne.

gcude
07-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I use foggers from Lowe's. Can't remember what brand, but they work. Set em off and go away for a couple hours. Come back to no mess and no spiders ... least not live ones.

Boucher
07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
I had two shop lizzards for a while. I really came to appreciate their effectiveness. One was a Geco type and made a permanent home there for a long time. The other was a Rusty tree lizard that came and went when the roll up doors were open. I had not seen dung beetles for a long time. There is a sudden population explosion. The wife says they are there because there is too much *hit in my shop. Not sure how to take that.

wtrueman
07-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Again a little bit off topic, BUT some of the spiders are good for your shop. Then again, so are the Ghecgos(SP?). These guys seems to be the FBI cleanup crew for my shop. Wayne,

dhammer
07-04-2011, 06:16 AM
As Orrin said, Tempo works great.

I don't have much trouble with spiders but box elder bugs in the fall can be a real pain. One application sprayed on the siding takes care of the problem.

Tempo is a synthetic premethin(sp?)..supposedly breaks down "harmlessly" after awhile.

Black_Moons
07-04-2011, 07:01 AM
I had two shop lizzards for a while. I really came to appreciate their effectiveness. One was a Geco type and made a permanent home there for a long time. The other was a Rusty tree lizard that came and went when the roll up doors were open. I had not seen dung beetles for a long time. There is a sudden population explosion. The wife says they are there because there is too much *hit in my shop. Not sure how to take that.

I just saved 100% on my pesticide by switching to Geco.

HAP
07-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Ohio Mike has a very effective method. I have been using the Ortho stuff back when it used to be called OrthoKlor. I use the concentrate Home Defence Max as Mike suggests. My shop and crawl space under the house is spider-free. Great stuff!

dalesvp
07-04-2011, 07:33 AM
When I moved into this old building which sat empty for years there were countless bugs and spiders. The spiders are useful until they get too "uppity" and take over. I've sprayed but that is undesirable for a number of reasons and is not as effective as the manufacturers want us to believe. Having lived on farms where spiders take over buildings and barns the old time farmers had the logical and cost-effective solution - barn cats. So a week or so ago I got my first in-house kitten. The results are fairly immediate. Bugs in general have all but disappeared and the spiders are much fewer. Give it another week or two and they should be gone too. There are other nice benefits from an in-house cat such as are common to having a cat around. (I'm really a dog person but dogs don't do much with insects.)

johnnyd
07-04-2011, 08:02 AM
But Dale.....dogs don't purr.:)

I've read that spiders don't like lemons. It suposedly stings their "feet".
Also, Osage Orange is supposed to act as a "natural" spider repellant.
Just place some of its ugly fruit in out of the way places & replenish periodically.
Wish we had some here in Florida.

Rosco-P
07-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Still haven't heard from the OP how they are posing a problem. Kill all the spiders, upset the balance, something else rises up to take their place.

J Weber
07-04-2011, 09:14 AM
The box elder bugs are real bad here this year.My brother said to spray them with plain old dish soap and water.So the wife put a squirt of Dawn in a pint hand sprayer and every one it hit was dead.Even environmentally friendly.
I will dig out the big sprayer and give everything a wash down.

Highpower
07-04-2011, 10:30 AM
The box elder bugs are real bad here this year.My brother said to spray them with plain old dish soap and water.So the wife put a squirt of Dawn in a pint hand sprayer and every one it hit was dead.Even environmentally friendly.
I will dig out the big sprayer and give everything a wash down.I was being over run by those little pesks last year, and someone told me about spraying them with the dish soap solution. I thought it was a joke / wives tale. But after trying it and then having to sweep up several dozen of their little carcasses, I was a believer. :cool:

They would cling to the outside of the house in huge groups making them an easy target. :D

saltmine
07-04-2011, 10:54 AM
When I first moved into my present residence, I soon discovered the place was crawling with German cockroaches. All of the usual spraying and screwing around only cost money. Of course, I did find out why I had roaches....The house next door was tented up and fumigated about a month before I moved in. I guess all of the nasties migrated to my place.

For several weeks I fought a running battle with them. They got into everything.

Finally,about a year ago, they just disappeared. The pest control guy I knew couldn't offer an answer, nobody seemed to know.

At the same time, I was having the same problem in my shop. I'd open the door, and all kinds of creepy-crawly creatures would rush out. Walking in, you could hear the crunch, crunch of the ones that were too slow or stupid to get out from under foot. Black Widow webs were all over the place.

One morning, lying in my bed, I discovered the reason all of the roaches had left my house. Above my bed, quietly hanging on the ceiling, was a huge Southwest "Sun Spider". To the uninformed, the average "Sun Spider" is not only huge, but quite hideous looking. I know it got my attention. I captured it in a jar, and went online to research what the monster actually was.
What I found was that the Southwestern "Sun Spider" (they're also called "Wind Scorpions") are a common species of spider that lives in my area. Their Greek name means "flees from light". They don't really like to be in close proximity to humans, or bright sunlight. They're a "hunting spider" so they don't weave webs or anything like that. The good thing about them, is the fact that they eat insects, other spiders, and roaches. Yes, they can actually eat a Black Widow or a Brown Recluse and suffer no ill effects...in fact, they seem to find them quite tasty. With this knowledge in hand, I took my Sun Spider out to my roach infested shop, and turned him loose, about 3 feet from the door. He stepped out of the jar, looked around, and made a bee-line for a rather large roach, near the door. The roach never knew what hit him. A quick snack, and my Sun Spider strolled under the shop door, and disappeared inside. Two days later, I had some parts I needed to make, so I opened the shop. Nothing came scurrying out. No crunching bugs on the floor, no spider webs on everything. Just a hideous looking Sun Spider, perched on a rafter, quietly munching on a Black Widow.

I don't have a problem with spiders. Especially if they're the right kind.
And having a couple of Sun Spiders around is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying gallons of bug poison, traps, and sprayers all of the time.

rode2rouen
07-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Still haven't heard from the OP how they are posing a problem. Kill all the spiders, upset the balance, something else rises up to take their place.

The problem is walking into the shop and getting a face full of web strands!
Not to mention cobwebs in every available corner.

Balance?? I don't need no steenkin' balance!! I need spiders gone!!

I'm off to get some Ortho after lunch.

Two dimensional spiders are my favorites! :p

Rex

J Weber
07-04-2011, 03:57 PM
My wife worked at the school of public health at the U of M [michigan] some years ago.She worked in the office area but some years before some cockroaches got loose from a lab and went everywhere.They could not kill them off. Anyway the women kept a can of "Aqua net" hair spray in every stall.They would spray the roaches as they came in range.That would kill them.I assume that is still the M.O. today.

Black_Moons
07-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Hair spray: Kill them or just stick them to the floor so they can't move anymore? :)

And yea, Use spiders to take out spiders. When I see small spiders in my shop, I tell em to GTFO, the only thing in here are bigger spiders that im pertty sure only eat smaller spiders.

Once I was watching some defective long leg spider.. one leg wayyy longer then the rest, kept going around in circles, then I saw a hunting spider approch it.. thought, awsome! its gonna take out the other spider

Then it ran under my toolbox... it started freaking out (I could still see it) like it was hiting something

Then a TINY spider swooped down and wraped up the hunting spider. Did'nt see that one comming.

gary350
07-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Daddy long legs like it wet make things dry the spiders will be gone.

Wolf spiders are not a problem they are cool spiders.

Brown Recluse spiders traps can be made by putting fly paper inside an old toilet paper tubes. Hide the tubes behind things in dark places.

Jumping spiders are fun to watch they have 8 eyes and look like tiny little crabs with no claws.

dwentz
07-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Rex,

If you have web strands then they are not Daddy Long Legs. The commonly called Daddy Long Legs is not a spider, and does not spin a web. If there are that many in your shop they are feeding on something. Find what they are feeding on and eliminate it, and the spiders will be gone. Check for Mold, Fungus, other small bugs etc. Most insecticides that work on bugs will not work on spiders. Most of the stuff that will work on spiders is not good for us humans.

Dale

lazlo
07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
"Daddy-long-legs" are not spiders are they?

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsectarthropods/f/daddylonglegs.htm

Wow, that's pretty cool! Learn something new every day :)

Black_Moons
07-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Rex,

If you have web strands then they are not Daddy Long Legs. The commonly called Daddy Long Legs is not a spider, and does not spin a web. If there are that many in your shop they are feeding on something. Find what they are feeding on and eliminate it, and the spiders will be gone. Check for Mold, Fungus, other small bugs etc. Most insecticides that work on bugs will not work on spiders. Most of the stuff that will work on spiders is not good for us humans.

Dale

Exactly, recently iv been shooing spiders INTO my shop. Too many damn mosquetos around here.

kc5ezc
07-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Exactly, recently iv been shooing spiders INTO my shop. Too many damn mosquetos around here.
Problem with spiders around here is that scorpions like to eat them. No spiders and the scorpions population thins out.
I use Prevail (clyclomethrin) and it really helps reduce the population of scorpions and brown recluse spiders.
Now if I can just get rid of the chiggers and mosquitos.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

MichaelP
07-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I just saved 100% on my pesticide by switching to Geco.
You will save 15% on your car insurance if you switch to GEICO.:D

A.K. Boomer
07-05-2011, 08:43 AM
My basements a little creepy - there's a variety of different spiders and spiders in general do kinda creep me out so every once in awhile I get the shop vac and go around "collecting" them and then let them go outside in the garden,

as far as the daddy long legs I let them hang out upstairs and there's even one or two in my bedroom up in the corner of the ceiling - We have an agreement I don't bug them and they don't bug me, one thing I won't do is use any kind of pesticide, I would much rather take my chances with the spiders than to trust some hillbilly in a lab that's mixing up a bunch of chemicals - logic tells me that most of these idiot's can't even get it right in the medical field when their trying to "help" people -- so what makes you think there going to get it right when it comes to killing bugs in your house?
Besides, a friend of mine uses bug spray in his shop and he's had two dogs over the years that act like they have a big worm inside their head that's eating away at their brain tissue...

J Weber
07-05-2011, 11:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hair spray: Kill them or just stick them to the floor so they can't move anymore? "

She said it would kill em.I never went into that bldg womens rooms so I never saw them :D

Rex
07-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I use Prevail (clyclomethrin) and it really helps reduce the population of scorpions and brown recluse spiders.

If you have scorpion problems, get a UV flashlight. Scorpions fluoresce like a Christmas light when you hit them with a blacklight. A few nights walking around the yard with a UV flashlight and a can of raid solved my problem.

ahidley
07-06-2011, 09:36 PM
do an online search for dragnet sr . It kills most bugs. You can even put it on your carpet if you have pets w/fleas. Its about $50/qt and depending on the strength that you mix, adv is 1oz/gal water. Thus itspretty cheap. It does not leave any stains or residue unless you get it on glass.

Your Old Dog
07-07-2011, 07:48 AM
I have a problem with black widow spiders in my shop usually around the bottoms outside edge of roll up doors and entry doors.I found some insecticide spray at lowes thats awesome.I don't remember the name but its got a big ole nasty spider on the can.When ya go to pick the can up you have to take a close look that its not a real spider on the can.It works great.No spiders for several months after application and kills on contact as well.

That's huge help for me! Just bought a cottage on the lake and it's covered in spiders and webs. Must be a last stop as they are blown across the landscape and into the lake! It's not really nice having company over to your spider infested lake side cottage :D