PDA

View Full Version : OT- Bad Propane Tank Valve

garagemark
07-05-2011, 06:56 AM
I have two 30 lb propane tanks in my fifth wheel. One of the tanks will not release it's contents. I tried both sides of the RV and then hooked it up to an external regulator... no dice. Something is stuck/bad in the valve body.

Problem is, the tank is full. So here's the questions:

Is there any way to recover the contents. The outfit filled it; can they evacuate it? It's worth about 35 bucks.

Is there maybe something I can do to get the valve un-stuck? I would assume the 80% fill level arm is stuck. I've banged and wallowed the tank a bit but to no avail. Could it have been overfilled?

Hate to lose all the gas to change the valve, but I need both tanks.

Ideas?
Mark

dhammer
07-05-2011, 07:37 AM
I have two 30 lb propane tanks in my fifth wheel. One of the tanks will not release it's contents. I tried both sides of the RV and then hooked it up to an external regulator... no dice. Something is stuck/bad in the valve body.

Problem is, the tank is full. So here's the questions:

Is there any way to recover the contents. The outfit filled it; can they evacuate it? It's worth about 35 bucks.

Is there maybe something I can do to get the valve un-stuck? I would assume the 80% fill level arm is stuck. I've banged and wallowed the tank a bit but to no avail. Could it have been overfilled?

Hate to lose all the gas to change the valve, but I need both tanks.

Ideas?
Mark

The80% fill level arm(OPD valve) has nothing to do with releasing the gas..just filling it. First make sure that it is, in fact, the tank valve. Most of the complaints I see about tanks not releasing gas is due to other components in the system. If your hoses are equipped with a QCC fitting(big plastic knob with right hand Acme thread) trying using a full flow POL(fitting with left hand thread) threaded into the inside portion of your tank valve. If that works you can recapture most of the liquid in the tank.

If the valve bonnet is broken there is nothing that can be safely done to capture the gas. I have changed valves "live" but I wait until it well below zero and the pressure in the tank is nill.

Black_Moons
07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
the fill arm can't be the cause, Or no tank that was full would be emptyable. (Catch 22)

garagemark
07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I just thought of the possibility of an overfill (which theoretically shouldn't be able to happen) causing something else to close off. Having not seen a cut sheet of the valve, I am just speculating.

I have one of the old style regulators and will try it out tomorrow.

Carld
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
The new valves should have a feature to keep the gas from coming out if the hose is not connected. Perhaps your hose connector is at fault. If the tank valve is at fault you will have to go to a refilling station to have it fixed or exchanged.

Willy
07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Carl makes a good point.
The OPD propane valve will not release gas until it has been depressed by by the fitting.

Have a look here for a complete description of the valves operation:

http://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm

Boucher
07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I have had the new overfill mechanish lock up. It would permit a slow release but not adequate for a fish fryer. The fix is to bump the bottle smartly on the bottom. I dropped it about 6" on concrete. That fixed my problem. This did not occur after filling. The bottle functioned normally for a while. The problem arose after transporting in a trailer.

garagemark
07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I tried three different hoses and regulators, all attached to appropriate devices. Hard to imagine all three of them being bad since they all work on other cylinders.

While I'm not thrilled about a smart "shot" to the bottom of the tank, it may be something to try as a last resort. I will first try the old style connector and regulator.

Stand by.

Mcostello
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Here in redneck country that bottle is begging for a 150 yard shot with something big!

Ohio Mike
07-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Those cylinders are designed to be dropped off a truck at highway speed and survive. Don't be afraid of giving it a good firm thump

Herm Williams
07-05-2011, 11:55 PM
we recycle old cylinders, takes about 35 ton to flatten one with the valve removed of course. IMO if you don't cave in the side of a tank they are pretty safe. re

1-800miner
07-06-2011, 01:11 AM
You place the tank in a suitable place (maybe a disliked neighbors yard) put a burning road flare within two feet of the tank.Now commence to sight in your deer rifle on the tank or the valve if you are a good shot.Remember that you must get it sighted in before the road flare goes out,time is of the essence.
You will know when you score the bulls eye shot.

See the other post on keeping your fire extinguishers charged,since it's fire season and all.

garagemark
07-06-2011, 07:31 AM
While it would have been rather amusing, if not down right interesting, to watch 30 pounds of propane light up the night sky (along with half of the county), I shall defer this as a LAST resort. :eek:

I did however give the tank a sharp rap to the pavement from about three feet, and I'll be damned if it isn't working like a charm. I'll still change the valve, but at least I'll get the use of the gas first.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. And to those of you who wanted to hear of me killing myself with a flare and a rifle.... Peace. ;)

Mark

dhammer
07-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I wonder what giving your tank a sharp rap did to fix the problem?

Sometimes the float arm sticks in the up position..that would make it impossible to fill the tank but not cause the problem you experienced.

Some OPD valves have a touchy excess flow valve built in..if the pressure downstream of the valve drops too quickly the valve will check..or shut off the flow of the gas. To release the excess flow valve all you usually need to do is shut of the tank valve, screw in your hose just enough to depress the internal check until you hear a hiss..gas escaping. Then screw in your hose and slowly open the tank valve..make sure all appliances downstream of the tank are off.

Anyway, you got it fixed..got to love these new safety features.

Ohio Mike
07-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. And to those of you who wanted to hear of me killing myself with a flare and a rifle.... Peace. ;)

Glad to hear you got it working. Honestly you'd be seriously disappointed if you shot a hole in one. Its not that spectacular. Yep, I have friends that are that stupid.