PDA

View Full Version : Source for Small Amount of Copper Round

lynnl
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I need some small copper wire or rod. (Just a little bit)

About 1/8 - 3/16" dia (X-section). Either straight rod, or rings about 1 1/4" ID would be even better.

Been trying to think of something I might pick up at Lowes, HD, etc., that I could cannibalize said copper from.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure of the dimensions of electrical wire. Would they have a wire size approximating that, that I could buy a couple of feet? I think #12 wire is too small.

(This is for a fish netting application.)

Dr Stan
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Try a welding supply company and ask for uncoated brazing rod.

Dan Dubeau
07-06-2011, 12:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

#8 Looks to be about right. Should be able to get a few feet at any home store too.

Boucher
07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
#6 bare copper wire is used for electrical grounds and is avaliable Home Depot and other electrical suppliers. I canabalize old brass couplings and check valves for brass rings in the 1-2 inch size. Copper fittings are also a good source of rings but they are thinner than you ask for.

lynnl
07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Well duh... I didn't even think about googling wire size or AWG.

Thanks!

Drat! I just sold the old home place, in which I'd had the service panel upgraded a couple of years ago. It had several feet of unused ground wire left dangling there.

loose nut
07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
That size of electrical wire is going to be pretty soft compared to copper rod.

BigMike782
07-06-2011, 09:09 PM
"ask for uncoated brazing rod"
wouldn't that be brass?

Boucher
07-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Speedy Metals has copper rod from 1/8" to 4"

Curious about your application

lynnl
07-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Speedy Metals has copper rod from 1/8" to 4"

Curious about your application

This will be the center ring at the bottom of a conical net.

Soft doesn't really matter. It's purpose is just to have a somewhat rigid foundation to start netting from. The ring will be left there, so I want something non-corrosive.

See here for idea source. (The ring comes into play at about the 2:30 point in the video.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfB1XjhYPP0

Rosco-P
07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
How about a ring cut from a brass or stainless steel pipe nipple?

Dr Stan
07-07-2011, 02:32 PM
"ask for uncoated brazing rod"
wouldn't that be brass?

No, it's actually bronze.

lynnl
07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I was able to buy 3ft of #6 bare copper ground wire at Lowes.

First thought I was out of luck, when one aisle only had pre-packaged rolls, but then another aisle had big rolls sold by the foot.

Hawkeye
07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Check your local feed store or Pet store. They may have brass rings for harnesses/ collars.

lynnl
07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Check your local feed store or Pet store. They may have brass rings for harnesses/ collars.

Yeah, that had also ocurred to me. We have a very good, old time feed and seed store downtown, that also carries a lot of horse/harness stuff. I'd just hoped to avoid making the trip down there.

However today I had to go downtown anyway, and did find some bronze rings at a local, ol' timey hardware store that still does a competitive business. I picked up one 1 1/8", which is just a bit smaller than I wanted. Next size up was too big.

I'll try soldering up one from my #6 ground wire. If that doesn't work I'll use this one I got today.

Will be a few days before I can use it anyway. Am going to have to order my twine. It's impossible to find nylon twine locally, smaller than #18 or so, which is bigger than I want.

BigMike782
07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
No, it's actually bronze.
and neither are copper;) .

gwilson
07-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I'd think there are better choices than copper. Some suggestions have been made.

lynnl
07-09-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd think there are better choices than copper. Some suggestions have been made.

Probably so. Especially if I could find some suitable ready made rings.

But as I said, I wanted something that wouldn't rust, and copper is easily bendable, plus that's what was used in the video process that I intend to emulate.

However last night I tried to silver solder the beveled ends closed on one I formed of copper. Using a Mapp torch, I Never could get it hot enough to melt the solder. I guess the copper was conducting the heat away too fast.
(this stuff is about 3/16" dia.)
Though it may have been the flame itself was part of the problem. The flame was sputtering. The mapp bottle may be nearing empty, though it feels heavy enough.

I'll try again today with the O/A torch.