PDA

View Full Version : Greatest shoal on earth

plunger
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Its that time of year again where people seem to go mad. When the sardines arrive people seem to get a fever and you see some amazing sights .I feel sorry for these little fish. Everything from whales to sharks and birds and humans want a piece of them.
I saw a program on tv that was real depressing though. Its about swordfishing in the atlantic off the grand banks I think. I think its where the movie The perfect storm was based.Whats sad is that for every ton of swordfish caught ,three tons of shark as by product are killed.Also for every three swordfish caught two are undersize and thrown back and they reckon these have a 100 % chance of dying.I am amazed people would want to eat swordfish?I know this has nothing to do with machining It just pisses me off

RB211
07-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I never really liked the taste of sword fish. Really big ocean out there however, one would hope there are area's where fisherman don't know about.

PixMan
07-07-2011, 06:07 AM
It's a big ocean, plenty of fish in the sea. My wife's favorite meal is grilled swordfish, and there's no stopping her. And I have no intention of trying to stop her. I don't know where you got the information that there's a 3:1 ratio of shark to swordfish kill or the throwback death ratio either, that's pure hooey.

I do a lot of work up in Gloucester where those fishermen live and work. I sit down and have lunch with some. They are barely eeking out a living with all the catch limits, size restrictions and "season" rules they have to follow. Many have just gotten out, leaving up to the remaining few to stay out longer. They know it's up to them to properly manage the fishery because if they don't, there's no livelyhood for them in the future. They constantly prove government biologists wrong about fishing stocks.

Biologists predict low stocks, the fishermen have record catch. The scientists say the fishery has rebounded, fishermen come up empty. Just look at the doom predicted for lobster, supply hasn't been this good in decades, prices are at record lows for Maine lobster. Meanwhile, the lobster stocks from Buzzards bay to Jersey are at record lows, and no one saw it coming.

Long-line fishing and lobstering are probably the last pure fishing adventures, the rest is just "harvesting". Get out on one of those boats sometime, see the truth about it. Or perhaps you just don't like to eat fish?

I feel sorry for these little fish. Everything from whales to sharks and birds and humans want a piece of them.

Poor fishies. :(

Ever watch Planet Earth and see how the whales and dolphins work together to ball-up the sardines and just devour them by the million? Poor fishies. :rolleyes:

Your Old Dog
07-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm with you pixman. Statistics fly around like gospel and few every question where or how they came about. Is it even possible to measure some of the data they quote? Cancer Society: "In this country, everyday 3500 children try a cigarette for the first time". To make any sense of this static you have to know what a "children" is. Turns out, as relates to that statistic it's anyone up to age of 21 years old :D

garagemark
07-07-2011, 08:27 AM
X2 with PixMan.

Fisheries are regulated now more than ever. Not only do scientists study them, but most fishermen keep a close watch on their livelihood. Some countries, however, do not practice good conservationism of their waters. And that SHOULD be addressed.

Simply said, we are the top of the food chain. We are also carnivorous. We eat meat and fish (vegetarians are an exception and don't belong to my species ;) ). I have no problem feasting on a nicely prepared swordfish, or having a midnight snack of kippers and cream cheese.... And I love a good chunk of cow or pig or lamb. Mmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

If we're going to worry about the sardine, why not take it all the way down to the plankton level as well? I just hate it when the sardines eat millions of the smaller critters.

I'm just saying...

Mark

lynnl
07-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Check out this fine southern lady and her eco-friendly fish processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iDdPfUX5g&NR=1&feature=fvwp

(very entertaining)

plunger
07-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Pixman I dont need to see it on tv how the whales eat a baitball .I live it . This is the time of year us durbanites stop work and get sardine fever. I am out there experiencing it. Dont read to much in it about the poor little fishies.We arent after the little fishies. We are after what is after the little fishies. And yes I hate fish and actually I HAVE fished commercially for a living. And I can tell you I am guilty of overfishing but see things a little differently these days.
I am also only as clever as I can google. Swordfishing in the south west atlantic is far from my home .I know nothing about it. Maybe you should watch the programme and make up your own mind.Long line fishing is terribly indiscriminate as to what it targets. I live in s Africa where our coastlines are vast and we dont have the resources to prevent other countries from coming and raping our coastlines.Isnt that how the somali pirates started pirating. No fish left because of the greed of bigger and richer nations. I was in Mozambique the other day and the beach was littered with glow sticks used for swordfishing. THis is not africans fishing for fish in their own waters . Its the rest of the world.Worse is that I heard from a friend that he witnessed close to 100 loggerhead turtles without heads scattered all over the beach. Yeah thats right Its to much effort to to take them off the hook so just cut there heads off;.This happened 5 kilometers from the s african border where these turtles are protected
I dont know all the facts but nor do you

sansbury
07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
A good friend of mine is a marine biologist at NOAA in Gloucester. He will not go to any bars in town there, too many guys who would love to break a few bones. He is a recreational fisherman himself and not some Eco-loony. He tells me they make decisions based on the best they can do scientifically.

For those talking record catches, there is no arguing that the atlatic cod fishery is a shadow of its former self. This fishery fed a large portion of the western world for 400 years until we started to really Hoover it up in the 60s. And now we are doing the same with the giant bluefin. I am not opposed to fishing any of these, but I do see a problem with fishing so much we deplete the stocks. That is no different than eating your seed corn.

plunger
07-07-2011, 03:56 PM
My dad past away a month ago. One of my most prized possesions is a photo of him and his mates next to a 278kg blue fin tuna they caught off the cape waters . This was in the 60s . You dont see these blue fin anymore.Its a big problem and one that wont be solved easily .Any way I am just waiting for the surf to drop as its about 10foot at the moment and we fish on paddle skis so its impossible to get out the surf zone at the moment. Hoping to catch a big king mackeral.

lazlo
07-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I never really liked the taste of sword fish.

Sword fish tastes lousy in general.

My folks have a Summer home in the Outer Banks, North Carolina. Every Summer the tourists pay big bucks to charter swordfishing/shark fishing/bluefishing trips. They bring back giant sword fish, take pictures on the dock, and then dump the fish in a big trash bin.

The swordfish (and blues) keep getting smaller every year...

rohart
07-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Swordfish are one of the best tasting fish. But buy a swordfish steak, cook it and you'll taste nothing.

Buy a swordfish steak, cut it into further slices so it's 3/8" thick at the most, sprinkle with basil, pan fry gently in olive oil, and then try it.

I don't see why people can't enjoy a little tasty fish or meat, but instead they like to stuff themselves.

I like a few thin slices of French or Italian salami. A little bit of meat. Not a great wadge of a steak.

Over here, some of us are trying to persuade local shops to stock local produce. The local supermarket had British apples of a couple of weeks this spring. All gone now. I can buy apples from New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, Argentina... Nothing against those guys, or the pilots of the planes that fly them in, or the oil workers that produce the fuel. Just that I want to pay a farmer and maybe a truck. Maybe a guy that builds greenhouses too.

Fly delicacies in from a long way off for sure. But bulk produce like, apples, tomatoes, potatoes - try to grow that locally.

The Artful Bodger
07-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Over here, some of us are trying to persuade local shops to stock local produce. The local supermarket had British apples of a couple of weeks this spring. All gone now. I can buy apples from New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, Argentina... Nothing against those guys, or the pilots of the planes that fly them in, or the oil workers that produce the fuel. Just that I want to pay a farmer and maybe a truck. Maybe a guy that builds greenhouses too.

You have to ask yourself why your farmers cannot compete with farmers so far away who produce those foods and ship them all the way to your shops apparently cheaper. No, the answer is not subsidies.

plunger
07-08-2011, 01:49 AM
I thought they get apples from s africa because the weather is so lousy in the uk. Its hard to buy decent fruit in s africa because all the a grade stuff lands up in europe
lnnl now thats a woman of my heart. She just needs to come with a machine shop and her own boat

Peter S
07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
All gone now. I can buy apples from New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, Argentina... Nothing against those guys, or the pilots of the planes that fly them in, or the oil workers that produce the fuel. Just that I want to pay a farmer and maybe a truck. Maybe a guy that builds greenhouses too.

Fly delicacies in from a long way off for sure. But bulk produce like, apples, tomatoes, potatoes - try to grow that locally.

Hi, I am not aware of any fruit like apples, kiwifruit etc (or meat and dairy products for that matter) that is flown from NZ. It goes by ship. We are talking about many hundred thousand tons of fruit....