PDA

View Full Version : Picking out a Machine?

drasticoverkill
07-08-2011, 12:15 PM
okay, I know what alot of people may think about these machine's (there chinese) (or tiawan), but I dont care, what I'm looking for is a nice, new, cheap, lathe maybe a combo machine, the ones I have narrowed it down to are, a SHOP FOX M1099, a BAILIEGH MLD-1030, and I'm also wondering about a few different TECHMASTER'S I dont know much about the techmaster's other than there chinese. I'm just wondering if anybody out there is useing any of these machine's or if anyone can give any advice on any of them, or any other machine's that are simaliar, any advice would be great, thanks everyone.

SGW
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
There has been endless discussion of 3-in-1 machines. A search of the archives might be useful to you. Quick summary: if you can possibly manage to have separate machines, you'll be happier. 3-in-1s work, people have done great stuff on them, but having to change over from one setup to another gets old pretty fast. The design of the Baileigh MLD-1030 looks as though that would be less of a hinderance that with the Smithy, but your milling "table" appears to be severely limited in size.

Techmaster, a.k.a. Quality Machine Tools, looks to me as though it may be "the" Chinese supplier to Grizzly, Jet, Harbor Fright, and whoever else sells import tools. If I wanted one of those lathes, I think I'd buy it from Grizzly, which has a good reputation for spare parts, or from Jet, unless you have a good Techmaster dealer just down the road. FYI, since you're in Maine, there is a Jet dealer in Brentwood, New Hampshire on route 125 that has (or had, in 1985 when I bought my mill) some machine tools on display, plus a cellar full of well-flogged used equipment that he thought a lot more of than I did. Or there may be somebody closer. But no sales tax in NH!

drasticoverkill
07-09-2011, 05:16 PM
thanks, very good info, I have heard of brentwood machine, but never really knew what they had, (unfortianatly there web page is not that helpful), I'm only looking at a combo machine as a temporary salution to save alittle money for now, but ya, thanks for the reply, good advice.

Dr Stan
07-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Since you're dead set on a combo I'd at least look at these: http://www.shoptask.com/ I had some of their earlier machines in a school lab and the quality of the machine was far superior to Jet, HF, or Griz IMHO.