PDA

View Full Version : just how can the manage to do this??? so cheaply

Alistair Hosie
07-10-2011, 03:27 PM
see thjis please on ebay 12 chisels for £11.95 .I don’t think anyone here could make them for that or even buy the lumber and steel.I know there not top dollar tools but really how can the do this so cheaply.I wouldn’t mind buying them taking them carefully apart and regrinding the metal to use for picks scrapers for metal working etc. Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12PC-PROFESSIONAL-WOOD-CRAVING-CHISEL-SET-12-PC-PIECE-/270610848649?_trksid=p5197.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26itu%3DI%252BUA%26otn%3 D10%26pmod%3D320723949878%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26c lkid%3D1249784907085865020

sansbury
07-10-2011, 03:33 PM
1. Cheap steel, cheap wood, cheap labor. Those are rudimentary tools that don't require any sophisticated manufacturing process; they could be made in a little workshop deep in the hinterlands of China or India where $2/day is good pay.

2. The seller looks like a liquidator, so the items may have been surplussed at less than cost by the original retailer.

gwilson
07-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Those are Chinese. Probably just enough carbon to harden a little,but poor edge retention.

Boucher
07-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I buy the cheap transfer punches for the material. With the various sizes it doesn't take much metal removal for special pins and punches etc.

madwilliamflint
07-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I bought a couple sets of cheap files at a street fair, knowing full well that they were garbage but needing SOMEthing. It's amazing how bad those things can be.

lynnl
07-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Those are Chinese. Probably just enough carbon to harden a little,but poor edge retention.

Carbon..? We don't need no steenkin carbon! :D

George I believe you're giving them too much benefit of the doubt. :)

I bought a small set of carving chisels from HF a few years back; I''m not a carver, but thought they might be handy to have at times.
Brought 'em home and sharpened. (Very easy to sharpen! :rolleyes: )
Then tried one on a soft piece of pine, and immediately (as in first cut) the edge curled back as if it were aluminum foil. :D

The handles come in handy for needle files tho. But even there, the handles don't exactly scream "quality" either.

Black_Moons
07-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I perfer to buy my cheap crap at princess auto, They know they will have a very high return rate if its not at least worth what you paid, And allways allow you to return broken/user damaged tools, no refusals that I have ever heard of.

Just Bob Again
07-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Look at the shapes. They seem to be confused whether these are carving chisels or lathe chisels. Spear, parting, bullnose, bead are not carving chisels. Certainly not a problem to make them for a buck each and that's what they're worth. My good chisels cost about 4 times what that set does. Each.

DougC_582
07-10-2011, 06:55 PM

They might be Indian. -And (no matter exactly where they came from) the wood AND metal are probably rather poor quality.

Something to ponder: what a lot of Chinese economists feel is the greatest external threat to their export economy, is the fact that Indian labor can undercut them by as much as 50%. There's already some exports coming out of India now that demonstrate the capability.

The only think keeping that from happening on a wider scale already is that the British occupation taught India a mind-boggling affection for bureaucratic complexity and corruption.

gary350
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I bought a $10 set of drill bits from 1/2" to 1" in 1/16th. The drills were great for drilling wood and aluminum but worthless for drilling steel.

A friend bought a bargan pack of center punches. The points either smashed flat or chipped off the punches were all worthless.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

sasquatch
07-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Re: If it sounds too good to be true----------------------------

Yeah, seen some of this stuff,, 40 piece screwdriver sets for $10.00, drill sets including the fractional, letter, and number sizes,, and all for around 40-50 bucks!!!

It is amazing to me HOW they can make these products look so good in the package, as some things are very cleverly marketed ready to draw in the public who have no clue to quality, or old brand names etc.

Remember 40 years ago the stuff from Japan that was comming in to the country,,,, same thing, cheap crap. However the stuff from Japan is now pretty good quality, some of it excellent, as good or better than the American made products.

jstinem
07-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Alistair,
Buy a set of those Chisels! They have a property that you would never think of until you use them. Being soft, they will take a very, very sharp edge very easily. They won't hold the edge for more than a few gentle cuts but you can get it back with a very few strokes on a hard stone. I use mine when I need smooth off a nick or a repair on finish surface. This is that magic edge that leaves the surface looking like it has been waxed. You can get it on the good tools after a lot of hard careful work at the stone but it's so much work that I don't do it as often as I should. The soft chisels are often sharper than the good ones.

They are also cheap enough to be sacrificial. Use them where you think you might hit something hard enough to chip the edge. You won't mind grinding the edges into odd shapes for one time jobs.
They make good wedges too.
Have fun with them.
Joe

airsmith282
07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
see thjis please on ebay 12 chisels for £11.95 .I don’t think anyone here could make them for that or even buy the lumber and steel.I know there not top dollar tools but really how can the do this so cheaply.I wouldn’t mind buying them taking them carefully apart and regrinding the metal to use for picks scrapers for metal working etc. Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12PC-PROFESSIONAL-WOOD-CRAVING-CHISEL-SET-12-PC-PIECE-/270610848649?_trksid=p5197.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26itu%3DI%252BUA%26otn%3 D10%26pmod%3D320723949878%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26c lkid%3D1249784907085865020

you ever heard of mass production makes the prices go way way down on everything thats mass produced