PDA

View Full Version : Reverse boring

taydin
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Built a drain pipe for the kitchen sink on my lathe, but forgot to turn down one end of the pipe to 40mm. But a tip that I found in "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" by James A. Harvey saved me from having to do the part all over again :) This book is excellent, worth its price just for this tip alone...

Basically, I put the pipe into the vise, aligned it to the spindle axis and then used my boring head with quill auto feed to shave off from the outer perimeter. I was pleasantly surprised by the very nice surface finish, didn't expect that.

http://www.taydin.org/web/reverse_boring/scaled_img_2490.jpg

http://www.taydin.org/web/reverse_boring/scaled_img_2491.jpg

Alistair Hosie
07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
kitchen sink wow now you can explain to your better half why you needed an expensive mill and boring head well done you did aneat job.Alistair

taydin
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
now you can explain to your better half why you needed an expensive mill and boring head

Had that "discussion" with the wife long time ago. It wasn't pleasant, to say the least :D

form_change
07-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I think I see your problem -
Your machines look too new and shiny. That always looks costly to the uninformed. You need to start getting some old beat up looking stuff in there that looks like you were paid to take it...
Nice solution for the problem though. I'll have to try that out one day.

Michael

Alistair Hosie
07-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't know guys if I had my choice I'd go for nice shiney I am a sucker for shiney machines.Alistair

Oldbrock
07-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Taydin, you just used the post to show off your machine, I'm jelous. Peter

Black_Moons
07-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I think I see your problem -
Your machines look too new and shiny. That always looks costly to the uninformed. You need to start getting some old beat up looking stuff in there that looks like you were paid to take it...
Nice solution for the problem though. I'll have to try that out one day.

Michael

Awsome idea! then when she asks how much it costs, you show her the real bill, but have the seller put a little - infront of all the prices. (And maybe add a decimal place if you paid a lot, so it looks saner. Ie $2000 becomes -$20.00

jugs
07-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Reverse boring = Interesting

or gnirob
:D (if you're dislexic )

john
:)

randyjaco
07-12-2011, 07:56 PM
How many of those carbide inserts did you wear out on that job? ;)

Randy

bborr01
07-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Another thing that I have used a boring head for is cutting O-ring grooves.

Boring heads can do more than bore holes.

Brian

Arcane
07-12-2011, 08:32 PM
........ a tip that I found in "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" by James A. Harvey saved me from having to do the part all over again :) ...........A good tip and sometimes it's the only way if the workpiece won't fit on the lathe, but don't forget...a threaded shank can unscrew itself from the boring head if it catches or if the load is high enough to break it loose on the threads if you are using a right hand tool. Just saying as a reminder...

darryl
07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
And here I thought this was about putting material back on, not taking it off. :)

flutedchamber
07-13-2011, 12:51 AM
You should clean your shop..totally unsafe and disgusting.:D

Seriously tho, a very nice machine in the picture, and the rest of the shop looks nice as well.

macona
07-13-2011, 01:07 AM
That vise looks pretty neat. Got a pic of it?

taydin
07-13-2011, 04:23 AM
That vise looks pretty neat. Got a pic of it?

It's a 175x300mm vise. Here is the picture from the vendor's page:

http://www.temak.com.tr/inc/models/images500/C9701.jpg

PixMan
07-13-2011, 07:14 AM
I just love the looks of the vise, the machine and even the boring head. What brands/model numbers are they?

T.Hoffman
07-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Built a drain pipe for the kitchen sink on my lathe, but forgot to turn down one end of the pipe to 40mm. But a tip that I found in "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" by James A. Harvey saved me from having to do the part all over again :) This book is excellent, worth its price just for this tip alone...

I agree, great book! I'm a mediocre machinist, but picked up some great tips from this book.

taydin
07-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree, great book! I'm a mediocre machinist, but picked up some great tips from this book.

Even though the book is written with a focus towards commercial machinists, most tips apply equally well to home shop machinists. I decided to buy this book after many positive reviews on various forums and websites.

taydin
07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I just love the looks of the vise, the machine and even the boring head. What brands/model numbers are they?

I am sure that the mill and the boring head are chinese. I am quite happy with the mill, but the boring head has all traits of a cheap chinese import. The adjustment screw has enormous backlash and the middle screw that is supposed to fix the slide in the dovetail doesn't do its job. I gotta take it apart and take a look ...

Not sure about the vise, but it might be chinese as well. I am saying this based on the box it came in. It had the usual dirt, sand etc in it and there was no manual in it. But it is highly accurate with a max parallelism error of 0.005mm.

The mill is a 10x50" universal milling machine with ISO40 mount and DRO. The model number is X6330, which generically applies to a lot of different milling machines.

My equipment is great, but I am a mediocre machinist. It took me an hour to figure out how to engage the quill auto feed...

kyfho
07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
You must get better quality Chinese tools in Turkey than we do in the U.S. The finish on that vise is very nice and it seems the accuracy is good, too.

Most of the Chinese junk I've seen around here looks like Mr. Qwan hammered out old soup cans over a camp fire and a big rock. :p

Damn, I hate envy. :D

taydin
07-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Here is a pic of the mill (with the original vise that sucked big time!)

http://www.taydin.org/web/mill/img_1754_scaled_rot1.jpg

flutedchamber
07-13-2011, 12:19 PM
The picture didn't post.:confused:

taydin
07-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Oops, wrong link. Here is the picture:

http://www.taydin.org/web/mill/scaled_img_1754.jpg

taydin
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Another thing that I have used a boring head for is cutting O-ring grooves.

Boring heads can do more than bore holes.

Brian

One thing I want to do with the boring head is to cut holes without needing to drill a starting hole first. So the entire bottom of the boring bar must be a cutting edge. I looked for that type of a bar here, but no luck ...

bborr01
07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Taydin,

I made my own. A piece of 5/8 dia 4140 and a broken off carbide end mill. Drill the end of the 5/8 piece for the end mill and put a setscrew in from the side to secure the end mill. Then go to a diamond wheel and grind the face and some clearance on the carbide. One boring bar.

I don't know how deep you could go with it though. I was just cutting O-ring grooves so they weren't that deep.

Brian

Black_Moons
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
One thing I want to do with the boring head is to cut holes without needing to drill a starting hole first. So the entire bottom of the boring bar must be a cutting edge. I looked for that type of a bar here, but no luck ...

You want a trepanning tool. There are some boring bars that work plunged in, But its rather hard on the machine with that much tip contact.