PDA

View Full Version : Shop Shrapnel

Weston Bye
07-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I found this today, embedded in a soft pine bookcase about 10 feet from the mill.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Weston/DSCN4046.jpg

Removal and closer examination revealed this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Weston/DSCN4050.jpg
Yikes!

I vaguely remember breaking an endmill some time ago. (turned the wrong handle)

This could have has some negative effect had it struck an unprotected portion of me. I always wear my glasses while machining, but suppose this thing had gone up a nostril.:eek:

J.Ramsey
07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
You need to move your equipment out of the Den to the shop:D

Dan Dubeau
07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I had a #36 drill break one time, and embed itself in the drywall. It was about the same height and distance away that my neck was at the time. Wasn't in there deep, but probably woulda drew blood. I left it in the wall for a long time (fell out on it's own) to remind me to wear safety glasses even when drilling tiny holes with a hand drill.

gary350
07-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I have some Shrapnel in my left hand because of a hammer. I had a large 5" hex nut that would not come loose so I hit it with a 1 lb hammer several times to brake the rust loose. About the 5th hit a piece chipped off the hammer and went into my left hand like a bullet. X-Ray shows it about mid way in the center of my hand about 2" back from my center finger. It entered my hand next to my thumb so the Shrapnel traveled 2" before it came to a stop. Doctor said, lots of tiny little moving parts inside a hand it is too risky to remove it. If it gives you trouble some day you might need to have it removed. It has been in there since 1985.

Mcostello
07-14-2011, 10:03 PM
I smacked a hardened shaft with an engineers hammer and a tiny piece flew off and embedded itself in my tee shirt. Easily took that out, hit piece again and a bigger piece went through my shirt and buried itself about 1 1/6" deep. Was serrated and held on dearly. I guess it warned me the only way it could.

darryl
07-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Almost similar, but totally different- was cutting a piece of laminated two sides material today and the scrap piece caught in the table saw blade and shot out backwards. From the marks on it, the last few teeth left distinct marks in the side of it, so I know that it was up to the speed of the blade rim when it passed me. It neatly chiseled out a V in another piece of wood before rebounding off the wall.

TGTool
07-14-2011, 11:40 PM
This could have has some negative effect had it struck an unprotected portion of me. I always wear my glasses while machining, but suppose this thing had gone up a nostril.:eek:

So, you buying a set of those nostril protectors tomorrow? I think its something like a kevlar screen for each side and comes in appropriate nostril sizes. I think mine's a medium but I've seen some guys who could use the extra large. :D

tdmidget
07-15-2011, 12:58 AM
I found this today, embedded in a soft pine bookcase about 10 feet from the mill.
I always wear my glasses while machining, but suppose this thing had gone up a nostril.:eek:

It would be known as an M2 booger?

Weston Bye
07-15-2011, 08:29 AM
It would be known as an M2 booger?

Yep, would've boogered my nose with a buggered endmill. Better than the other way round. Sounds painful either way.

Weston Bye
07-15-2011, 08:31 AM
You need to move your equipment out of the Den to the shop:D

My shop is my den.

justanengineer
07-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I once saw a 3/4 HSS bit on a Pacemaker lose most of its tip when a machinist was cleaning up some welds. The chunk of bit ricocheted off the lathe and put a hole in his shirt but luckily barely drew blood. Everytime I get near a big lathe now I think of that and really wonder about the possibilities of "shooting" yourself inadvertently.

Weston Bye
07-15-2011, 08:54 AM
A guy in a shop where I worked had 3/4" endmill snap off at the shank on a horizontal boring mill. Hit him soundly in the middle of the forehead. He looked like Cyclops for a while thereafter.

daved20319
07-15-2011, 10:15 AM
But was working on an old pickup truck once, replacing the rear axle. After stripping out my pals 1/2" drive Craftsman ratchet, we switched to my SK ratchet and a 4' cheater bar. Everything was going fine until suddenly, BANG!, and I heard something whiz past my ear. Blew the top out of the ratchet, and the piece went through the 5/8" drywall and into the next room. Could have been really ugly if one of us had gotten in the way. I've made it a point to have a 3/4" set ever since, even though I only use it once or twice a year. Later.

Dave

Stepside
07-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I have a piece of a Case 310 crawler axle imbeded in my right hand "social finger". Hit the axle with a 3 lb hammer and a piece of the case hardened layer found my finger. Same issue with the doctor and too good of a chance to screw up nerves ect. It has been there for 30 years or more. All of my glasses are polycarbonate and if I am awake they are on. So it is basicly "safety glasses" in place if I am awake.

ptmachine
07-16-2011, 02:39 PM
A long time ago, I was working as a moldmaker in a shop drilling deep coolant holes in a mold. As I recall the drill bits were 11/32” by about 18” long. In one particular hole I had to break into a cross line at about 12” deep, so I was very cautious not to feed too fast. Well it happened, the drill bit seized and shattered, sounded like a gunshot! People from the office came to see what had happened! A piece of the drill zoomed past my face and cut me. I calmly turned off the Bridgeport and walked into the break room and sat down. My boss came into the break room and asked me what the hell I was doing. I looked at him and said I’M TAKING A BREAK! I must have been an awful sight with blood streaming down my face. His tone changed and he said O.K. and left me alone. The scar was minimal but there was a lot of blood. Neal

jkilroy
07-16-2011, 02:58 PM
This is why I prefer something like this to glasses

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/qyQKcv11qGmUIuUqsiAM1Sc5I2J3Nzle3vcq6bcLeJZGK9alxb KRvTzu3dY0XPBWdOYBfLPJ1lUFtvl9rdIJfo_TjNEDjbogiFIq AGitRMTizf36IaBHinosnE1OFVnkGs70gU9zAh3a6C1JSWA6Yd fOKrSY42N8J5PbFSugu8CuqjHCpNI_LbZYRw

Bob Fisher
07-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Got hit in the chest once from a carbide tooth from a BRAND NEW 10" Craftsman table saw blade. Thought I'd been shot! Pulled up my shirt to see how bad the damage was, just a bruise. Scary to think of the worst place it could of hit. Always wear glasses, mostly to see,but you never know when some s*** will happen. Sears gave me some crap about replacing the blade , but after a heart to heart with the manager, they replaced it. I always try a new blade from a respectful distance since then. Bob

Black_Moons
07-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Got hit in the chest once from a carbide tooth from a BRAND NEW 10" Craftsman table saw blade. Thought I'd been shot! Pulled up my shirt to see how bad the damage was, just a bruise. Scary to think of the worst place it could of hit. Always wear glasses, mostly to see,but you never know when some s*** will happen. Sears gave me some crap about replacing the blade , but after a heart to heart with the manager, they replaced it. I always try a new blade from a respectful distance since then. Bob

Yep yep. Any new spining thing, start it up while standing to the SIDE of its rotational axis.

I do the same for every spinup of abrasive disks too... My brother got messed up bad once using a 4 1/2" disk in a high speed sander that did 20,000rpm and blew the disk.