PDA

View Full Version : Article Index (HSM and MW)

lynnl
07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
A few years back there was a facility for reaching an index of all the articles in HSM and MW that could be reached from the homeshopmachinist home page. Somewhere along the line that seemed to get lost, or else I totally mis-remembered how to find it. Well I just re-found it.

By googling home shop machinist a link was shown. I found it useful in the past; maybe others, who like me couldn't find it or didn't know of its existence, will too. For anyone interested, here 'tis:
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/articleindex

It permits you to search by subject (by categories), author, or by issue. (Click on the + sign to drop down all candidates for a given category.)
Also, the search is segregated for the two different magazines.

Note: this is just the magazines, not the books series.

(Just ignore me, if I was the only one in the dark about this... :D )

George Bulliss
07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I use the index quite a bit to answer readerís questions. For the most part, it gets the job done, but it is a little clunky in some areas.

One of the biggest problems is, because it is so labor intensive to maintain, almost all the entries were made by interns, just here for the summer. Although it is relatively simple to keystroke items into the index, it takes some knowledge to place articles in the correct categories. Because of this, the search by subject option is maddening and I never use it. Search by author and by issue are helpful though.

Another option is to search the txt file we have on the download site. It was passed to us by a reader a few years back. The file is not something you will browse through, but is searchable and is pretty darn complete. If I canít find something in our index, this is where I turn.

George

mikem
07-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Maybe this deserves to be made a "sticky"?

Rex
07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Frankly, I've not ever been able to find anything I was looking for using this page.

I much preferred the old list that had each issue and a detailed list of the articles therein.

If there was a Keyword search that would be useful.