PDA

View Full Version : engine hoist question

metalmagpie
07-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I want to use an engine hoist to pick up a 400 lb. piece of plate steel leaning against a wall. To do so, I would have to extend the boom some distance beyond the end of the legs, something I would usually not contemplate. What I want to know is, can I get away with this?

metalmagpie

Dr Stan
07-15-2011, 10:14 PM
What's the rating of the hoist with the boom fully extended? If its over 400# you should be fine.

Black_Moons
07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Depends how much the hoist weights, and how far over the legs you have to go.

400lbs isent much if its only a few inchs past the legs and you take great care not to make sudden stops/accelerations backwards that may tip it.

It would be best to put something across the legs as a platform and add addition weight like sand bags. Humans are not recommended to be used as dead weight.

lakeside53
07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
HUH? I know humans whose only use is as dead weight.:D

Guido
07-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Heavy steel plate, or anything weighing big, standing on edge, leaning against a wall is like a lit stick of dynamite. ie. real quiet until it goes off. Visualize a shift in CG, to the unsuspecting, unprepared worker.

Last time we unloaded a rail car of steel plate---------don't ask me.

--G

garagemark
07-16-2011, 01:34 AM
It's been my experience that without counterweight, the boom cannot extend very far over the wheels. I have a small idiot scar on a shin to prove it.

The counterweight will not need to be great at a short distance over center. And yes I have used me for that weight, but only long enough to get the engine block lifted from behind some other stuff I re-positioned the boom as soon as it was clear of the obstacle.

Dumb maybe, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do when at home by yourself. :rolleyes:

Mark

winchman
07-16-2011, 02:45 AM
If the plate is leaning against the wall, you might be able to get one leg of the hoist behind it.

Or, lift one end at a time to put blocks under it, and then get both legs under it.

Black_Moons
07-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Dumb maybe, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do when at home by yourself. :rolleyes:

Mark

-_- extra dumb, I hope you at LEAST carryed a cell phone in your pocket. Something goes wrong, you may not have (use of) legs left to drag your ass to the phone.

Hell, something goes wrong you might not even be awake for long enough to call. Never do heavy moving alone!

boslab
07-16-2011, 03:18 AM
2 peices of about 5" square on the deck perpendicular to wall, pull plate forward till it falls to floor on the timber, insert hoist under plate, x4 short slings to bow shackle on the hook of the hoist, lift plate horizontaly, sooner or later you will need to flip anyway unless your working vertical so then it got to be cam lock plate clamp or weld on a lug to lift.
it is never recomended to lift outside the hoists envolope unless its a counterweighted hoist, if not there should be a stop on the sliding jib abot 90% elongation and a load/lift table, they do flip spectacularly, but bend/fracture even more so
mark