PDA

View Full Version : I need a quick workstop

Harvey Melvin Richards
07-20-2011, 05:37 PM
I need to square multiple varied lengths of 303 stainless on a knee mill. Any ideas for a quick to make stop that I can reference the to be cut end? Obviously the stop would have to swing out of the way when I make the cut. I would like to lock the X travel, and take 20 thou off of the part using the Y travel.

Parts list, working drawings and photos would be great, but I'll take what I can get.:)

Toolguy
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
A push-pull clamp on a block works good if you have one of those lying about.

PixMan
07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
The overwhelming majority of work stops I've seen are adjustable for height, position and length, but used in a way that they are fixed and you just work off the OPPOSITE end.

Is there some reason you cannot do this? Are the parts so long that you have to position from the same end that you are machining down to size?

Harvey Melvin Richards
07-20-2011, 07:14 PM
A push-pull clamp on a block works good if you have one of those lying about.
That is a very good idea. I do have multiple push pull clamps, so I'll give it a try.

The overwhelming majority of work stops I've seen are adjustable for height, position and length, but used in a way that they are fixed and you just work off the OPPOSITE end.

Is there some reason you cannot do this? Are the parts so long that you have to position from the same end that you are machining down to size?

My blank is 0.230 X 1.00 X ~6.5, with a V cut in the 0.23 width, running the 6.5 length. The part that I need (60 of them) is 0.230 X 1.00 X 0.290. I square both ends of multiple blanks, cold saw to 0.30 than resquare the ends and repeat. After all are cut to length, I mill multiples to 0.290.

They look something like this:
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/P7201716Large.jpg