PDA

View Full Version : Cranky people.

Black_Moons
07-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Anyone elsed noticed everyone seems really cranky this week? (Myself included)

Highly recommend everyone stop taking the internet (and life) so damn seriously. And if you find yourself about to post something that contributes nothing and just pisses people off. Consider just closing the damn window insted of hiting Post. you wrote what you wanted to say, Got it off your chest, You feel better, Now make everyone else feel better too by not having to read it and just close the window.

vpt
07-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I got an infraction on another forum because I was picking on one of the mods. 46 years old acting like 17.

Plus it is a IB forum and I dislike IB.

wierdscience
07-21-2011, 10:18 PM
It was 106*real temp here today,those that didn't melt were a bit grumpy.

tdmidget
07-21-2011, 10:19 PM
"ib" ? .......

vpt
07-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Internet Brands

mike os
07-22-2011, 03:04 AM
I am not "cranky", I never get "cranky.... GOT THAT? NEVER

:D

RobbieKnobbie
07-22-2011, 05:06 AM
I love the cranky posts, they're usually really funny

.RC.
07-22-2011, 05:47 AM
I hate the cold weather....

DATo
07-22-2011, 06:15 AM
When I got on the net the first thing I looked into was chat rooms. I was fascinated by the idea of talking to strangers from different parts of the world. I had not participated in the CB craze of the 70s and early 80s and I had never done the 'pen pal' thing though I always considered both to be interesting concepts. I learned very quickly that there are some people who are apparently psychologically disturbed to the point that they have to take out their aggressions on total strangers by venting online. My first reactions were hostility towards these people but soon I just got to the point that I felt sorry for them. I found that the best remedy was to simply ignore them.

On the other hand, if that's what it takes to depressurize someone who is teetering on the edge I am more than willing to allow them to flame me in a chat room or B board and let them call me every name in the book if that keeps them from shooting up a fast food restaurant. The net is just a microcosm of the everyday world and you are going to find all types of people online. You just have to live with it.

A.K. Boomer
07-22-2011, 07:39 AM
B.moons is right - that is good therapy if your really heated - write it like your going to send it - then step back and read it and you will most likely find that it's way to harsh, then you just say - why do I want to put this crap out into the universe and hit the delete button,

also sometimes you forget and force of habit makes you punch in the send button - then you find yourself saying outloud - "dear god what have I done":o

sasquatch
07-22-2011, 07:41 AM
What i,m getting tired of here, is a few who seem to be trying to "Out Knowledge" each other continually arguing over trivial matters.

Like -"WHO CARES!!!" SO WHAT?

THere are some great positive discussions here which can be a great learning curve for everyone, along with a number of people with a great sense of humour which makes this place a pleasant place to be.

Carld
07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Actually it's kind of interesting to see a knowledge fight occasionally. Sometimes it's something I am interested in reading about and other times I dismiss it. I do enjoy a thread that everyone contributes something to from their experience.

As to posters being a little grumpy lately, I haven't noticed it but then I don't read all the threads. If you type out an angry post it's best to read it and then decide if you want to hit send or back. You have to decide if it's really worth sending an angry post.

garagemark
07-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Over a hundred degrees here for the past two days and going to be the same for the next few. Yeah, we're all friggin cranky. Seems like we get mean when one of two things happen; the sun doesn't shine in the winter and the sun over-shines in the summer. That gives us about six days of perfect weather a year. :D

And I personally like most of the 'out knowledge' threads (since I can't out knowledge just about anyone). Somewhere buried in all the banter and bickering is the real truth. A consensus is usually obtained from the back and forth (eventually), and THAT... is usually the real answer. This is the type of thread that, if you don't care for it, skip over it and go to the next title.

Someone is ALWAYS going to write something that someone else is not going to like or be offended by. If everyone screened everything they wrote, there would be very few active discussions. However, I abhor personal attacks; there is never a need to beat on someone, nor should we write anything that we wouldn't say to your face. But otherwise....

Mark

Ooops. I pushed the button.

QSIMDO
07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Anyone elsed noticed everyone seems really cranky this week? (Myself included)

Highly recommend everyone stop taking the internet (and life) so damn seriously. And if you find yourself about to post something that contributes nothing and just pisses people off. Consider just closing the damn window insted of hiting Post. you wrote what you wanted to say, Got it off your chest, You feel better, Now make everyone else feel better too by not having to read it and just close the window.

Er...uh...yeah, how do YOU feel about that BM? :D

Highpower
07-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Problem solved. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Highpwr/Ingnorelist.jpg

Carld
07-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Hitting Ignore doesn't really solve the problem. It may make the thread a little confusing when many of the posts are not shown. I would rather read a post and just ignore it than never see it at all.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Toolguy
07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Whoever said "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" apparently didn't know much about optics. (As in high magnification rifle scopes).

madwilliamflint
07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah. Been getting the 3am calls from work ("emergencies" and all that.) Top that with 5-6 hours a day commuting in the eleventy bagillion degree heat and I earned a reprimand for "being somewhat short" with a junior programmer who was feeling a little above his pay grade with me (which I really respect when someone is, erm... correct.)

Fortunately my manager was suitably entertained by the phrase "tell him to put his f'ing big boy pants on, stop crying, get his finger out of his f'ing nose and think about what he's saying." That it all died there.

But yeah.

Mikey might need a nap.

madwilliamflint
07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Whoever said "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" apparently didn't know much about optics. (As in high magnification rifle scopes).
See, on the Perlmonks (http://perlmonks.org/) forum, where I'm conspicuously active, we can thumbs up/down posts. This sure makes me wish I could here as well :-)

Also, posts with sufficient down-votes are "considered for reaping."

Highpower
07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I would rather read a post and just ignore it than never see it at all. I agree with that in MOST cases. Everybody gets "cranky" once and awhile - it's understandable.

There is nothing permanent about the ignore function. (Unless you want it to be...) You can turn it on and off at will. You can turn it on for a few days to let someone "get it out of their system" while you continue on peacefully until they do.

In some cases any loss in the continuity of a thread is no loss at all.
inn sum kaases u jist turn it own nd leaf it own

But I guess that's just me being cranky... :rolleyes:

Thomas Staubo
07-22-2011, 12:54 PM
See, on the Perlmonks (http://perlmonks.org/) forum, where I'm conspicuously active, we can thumbs up/down posts. This sure makes me wish I could here as well :-)

Also, posts with sufficient down-votes are "considered for reaping."

Yeah, that would be a nice add-on.
But not too long ago we had the option to rate the threads (with 1-4 stars iirc), but that seems to have disappeared now.
Why?

Carld
07-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I did the ignore thing once and when I thought about it I turned it off. My thought was if I go to the local coffee shop and the other party was always there how could I "ignore" them, I don't, so I deal with it. So I decided to just deal with it on forums.

It's nice to know what others are bitching about and when you have excluded a persons posts you don't. If you don't see the post how are you going to know what is going on.

In the county I live in we have some people in power that are corrupt and/or morally unethical. If I just ignore them it makes me complicit so I get involved and that earns me as an enemy of the corrupt and unethical people and those that support them. So be it, but at least I try to be correct in my exposure of their deeds.

38_Cal
07-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Yep, it's hot & humid...too much so...but I can't be cranky right now. Got my #2 son home from Afghanistan this week and we're doing a lot of catching up! :D

David

Your Old Dog
07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Yep, it's hot & humid...too much so...but I can't be cranky right now. Got my #2 son home from Afghanistan this week and we're doing a lot of catching up! :D

David

Tell your Son I said thanks and that I won't squander away all that he fought for when I get to the polling booth. I envy you.

Boucher
07-22-2011, 04:19 PM
This was the temperature in south Texas day before yesterday.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/IMG_0232.jpg
A friend that ran a nursing home for years told me, " If you think that a full moon doesn't affect peoples disposition. You need to spend a night with a full moon in a nursing home.

A.K. Boomer
07-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Come on now Boucher -- whats wrong with that picture...

SteveF
07-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Even though it's in the sun it's still damned hot out.

After lunch today I used my IR temp gun on a couple of things I left out. Post pounder measured 135 and the black plastic on my chainsaw was the winner at 157.

This heat just sucks.

Steve

sasquatch
07-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Re: The full moon and nursing homes:;;

Not only nursing homes,, my daughter is a Police Emerency dispatcher in a large city, and about 4 days of the full moon, the calls just suddenly multiply. Anything from two neighbours fighting over a rose bush,, to calls from kids that daddy is hitting mommy, to domestic fights to beatings, to road rage.

38_Cal
07-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Tell your Son I said thanks and that I won't squander away all that he fought for when I get to the polling booth. I envy you.
Thank you. This was his first tour with the National Guard in Afghanistan, he had a rough one in the USMC in Iraq in 04, both times as a rifleman. Other son got lucky, two years as a Medic at Ft. Drum, NY, and 1 1/2 in Korea as a speed bump ten miles south of the DMZ.

David

Black_Moons
07-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Thank you. This was his first tour with the National Guard in Afghanistan, he had a rough one in the USMC in Iraq in 04, both times as a rifleman. Other son got lucky, two years as a Medic at Ft. Drum, NY, and 1 1/2 in Korea as a speed bump ten miles south of the DMZ.

David

Whats the national guard doing in afghanistan? Doesnt that strike anyone else as.. a violation of the whole consept of national guard?

What was he guarding? the national oil reserves?

loose nut
07-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Units of the National Guard can be Federalized and are then effectively part of the regular army for a specified period, like during a war. Happened in WW2 and Vietnam maybe Korea ???

38_Cal
07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Whats the national guard doing in afghanistan? Doesnt that strike anyone else as.. a violation of the whole consept of national guard?

What was he guarding? the national oil reserves?
He was probably safer in Afghanistan than on the Mexican border! :eek: And yes, Iowa Nat. Guard troops have been sent there, too.

David

Black_Moons
07-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Units of the National Guard can be Federalized and are then effectively part of the regular army for a specified period, like during a war. Happened in WW2 and Vietnam maybe Korea ???

Sad state that they would do that for such a tiny, 'allready won' war like Afghanistan.

What ever happened to keeping troops at home? At the very least to help fight natural disasters.

And please. Let my post be seen as what it is: An attack on your government/military. Not on your son. A+ for him for signing up for what should of only been used to defend human life and I am truely saddened to hear he was forced to 'protect' a country he never signed up for.

If only everyone signed up for the national guard insted of the military, we could get rid of wars... assuming they where only used for guarding that is, they would all be to busy guarding to attack anyone.

wierdscience
07-22-2011, 08:53 PM
BM,there is no picking where you'll end up in any branch of the service.My uncle for example inlisted during Korea in the Army.He was trained to drive a Tank,he was sure he was going to Korea-Nope they sent him to sweat his but off in a tank in Peurto Rico go figure.

Also the NG has always played a support role in every conflict since WWII IIRC.