PDA

View Full Version : Gluing parts to jig plate?

jeremy13
07-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok I know there is a thread about it but can’t find it right now. I need to machine 4 posts in the corners of a small aluminum plate (1 ˝” X 1”X 1/16”finished thickness). The posts will be .112” in diameter and .075” high. This will be done in the CNC mill. I think the old thread talked about using double side sticky tape. But I don’t think it will hold tolerance to well. Hot glue is an option but getting it glued down parallel to the jig plate is a problem. So I was thinking of super glue. It’s thin enough and sets up slow enough that I have time to move it into place and square. But how do you get the part back off? And will it stick to the aluminum good enough to mill agents it?

mechanicalmagic
07-21-2011, 11:14 PM
If you get a good glue job, YES, it's strong enough for light machining. To remove from the jig plate, heat them to ~250 degrees f. Then clean off the superglue residue with Acetone.

DJ

gr8life
07-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Try some Loctite 380 instant. Clean surface apply and press, wait a few minutes and go to work. Remove by heating. Warning if you use too much you will have a bear of a time getting the parts to separate, I know from experience.
thanks
ed

gwilson
07-21-2011, 11:38 PM
I often super glue smaller parts for milling.

macona
07-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Here you go: http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_m.html