PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat or Explosion; You Decide!

adatesman
07-25-2011, 04:47 PM
A friend saw this sitting in someone's yard this morning and immediately gave me a call to see if I wanted it. And then dropped it off here at my place. How awesome is that? :D

I haven't had a chance to look yet, so no idea if/how far out of date the hydro test is or if there's any acetylene left in it, but worst case it should at least have some value as a trade-in.

http://shariconglobal.com/misc/tank.jpg

macona
07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
First look to see if the DOT info has been X'ed out. Betting not.

Take it in. Most places will just swap it, some will charge a hydro fee, some wont. What do you have to loose?

Anything still in it?

lazlo
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Jerry has good advice, as usual.

I'd swap the tank no matter what -- it's more than likely out of cert, and if you go during a busy time, some shops won't bother checking :)

Black_Moons
07-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Id wonder about manualy wirebrushing off some of the looser rust first before taking it in to swap it, Just to make it look a little better.. DEFINATELY NOT POWER WIRE BRUSHING! and don't get it spotless, just take off the loosest rust. I would'nt really consider using the tank. Who knows if the valve is even still good? And if the valve will close again after you open it. Let the professionals test/refill the tank, they allready have proceedures for what to do with bad valves and such.

macona
07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Nah, dont do anything. Take it in as-is. If it passes hydro they will sandblast it and paint it if it needs it.

tyrone shewlaces
07-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Previous owner probably took it in to have it refilled and after finding out how much the price went up, just decided it wasn't worth it anymore.:D

gwilson
07-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Be careful. One time I came back from lunch to find the shop shimmering in gas fumes. Fortunately,I wasn't smoking! (stopped years ago). A hardware store (small)propane torch that I HAD turned off had somehow NOT stopped,though the flame DID go off when I turned it off. For years after that I took the torch OFF the tank when I was done with it. No idea how the tank leaked,but it would have made a heluva explosion had it blown up.

adatesman
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Howdy Fellas,

Story from my friend was that the people who owned the house bought it fairly recently and were finally getting around to cleaning out the basement. Not knowing what it was or what it was for they stuck it outside with the "FREE" sign attached to it. They were quite happy to see my friend take it, as they had no idea what to do with it.

I just got a free moment to take a look at the tank and hit the marked area with a wire brush. It looks to read:

183 1/2
ICC8
8A27380
NCG

http://shariconglobal.com/misc/tank2.jpg

The silver spot looks like it may have stamping under it, but also looks to have a coating of Bondo under the paint. It didn't seem to want come off with a quick brushing, so I left it be.

BTW, it occurs to me that the pic above has a screwy perspective to it that hides the fact that the tank is 12" diameter, almost 4' tall and weighs somewhere over 100 pounds.

No plans yet what I'll do with it as I don't have a torch setup, but I guess this gives me an excuse, right? :rolleyes:

shawnspeed
07-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Around here , those large tanks are LEASE ONLY....your area my vary....

Black_Moons
07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Bondo? Hahaha, that sounds REALLY bad....

I can't imagen one good (legal) reason you would bondo a tank.

macona
07-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Its probably just accumulated paint. Its got a good label on it. Take it and exchange it. Its not like a bottle goes bad under normal circumstances. I had seen bottles from the teens when I was at airgas and they still passed hydro.

macona
07-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh, if it didnt pass hydro it probably would have not been given back, if it did the valve would have been removed and the numbers on the tanks X'ed out.

wierdscience
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Around here , those large tanks are LEASE ONLY....your area my vary....

Yup,looks like an AC5,forget the lease,just the contents now are nearly $100 and some places will dock you $5-10 for no cap.

Might be a lawn ornament in disguise:D

Black_Moons
07-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Yup,looks like an AC5,forget the lease,just the contents now are nearly $100 and some places will dock you $5-10 for no cap.

I much perfer garden gnomes. They don't explode when they rust through.

wb2vsj
07-25-2011, 09:28 PM

he he he ... Put some fins on it and half-bury it in your front yard. Sit back and watch...

J Tiers
07-25-2011, 10:08 PM
he he he ... Put some fins on it .

Weld them onto it, I assume........:eek:

bborr01
07-25-2011, 10:51 PM
It is a low pressure tank, most likely acetylene but maybe mapp.

My gas supplier told me that they don't need to be hydrostatted, only high pressure tanks like oxygen, mig mix, argon, etc.

I have been given a couple of acetylene tanks like that. Use the gas and trade it in is my advice. You are not likely to get a credit on any gas that is still in the tank.

My gas company told me that they are there to sell gasses. They will work with me on tanks. I have traded up to larger sizes and they are happy to do it for a reasonable fee.

Brian

macona
07-26-2011, 12:44 AM
One time my dad was down at the local acetylene fill plant talking to the guy that runs the place. One time someone brought in an oxygen and an acetylene tank in to be filled. They were welded together! :eek: