PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle ride invitation. HSM'ers

Dawai
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm getting older. I sat around thinking of somewhere I'd like to see. South of Me, about four hours.. unless I find a mountain scenic route is a Georgia Stonehenge.. Known also as the "Georgia Guidestones"

I'd like to gather a few friends and go see them.. partly because I can not believe they are real, someone with a conspiracy agenda spent half a million dollars to erect them. There is a description on Youtube.

THIS SUMMER.. dates? ideals? Be nice to have half a dozen HSM bike riders.. no prejudices against makes and brands.. other than We might need a couple of pick up trucks too if the HD's are too old.. Be nice to have one HSM fabricated part on each bike..

There is a SOUTHERN Grand Canyon here in Ga too.. and Fort Mountain.. (where the Moon-eyed vikings inter-married with Cherokee) Cloudland Canyon.. any more destination ideals?? Anybody got a real nice shop with some floor space for sleeping bags??

David...

dp
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
You'd not be far from Deal's Gap - that would be an interesting afternoon's riding. In the 50's and raining in Seattle now, and too far away for available time, but sounds like fun.

Dawai
07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Places Like Deals Gap, ie: the Dragon.. teaches people how to "sidecar" a harley.. if they don't
they exit the roadway. Lots of work to push it. A nice Leisurely ride is more what I am after
Grinding foot boards is fun.. for a minute.

The Dragon is a constant source of revenue for the local in-Blue fee collectors.

(sidecar.. the technique of "push pull" the handlebars to "flop the bike" into the corner, then
Hanging off the side getting the CG as low as possible.. like a sidecar racer) Old biker trivia knowledge.

If you really want to go fast, you gotta trim the weight, bike and rider.. I've been on a diet now for about
ten years.. So.. All you young skinny people can pass me in any corner..

MotorradMike
07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
(sidecar.. the technique of "push pull" the handlebars to "flop the bike" into the corner, then
Hanging off the side getting the CG as low as possible.. like a sidecar racer) Old biker trivia knowledge.

You mean, "Countersteer" ?

Dawai
07-26-2011, 11:44 AM
No.. I've always referred to it as push-pull.. it causes the bike to "flop" over.. instead of being forced by the rider.. Countersteer? can you describe to see if it is the same thing..

I'm trying to think of a reference.. FOR a impressive rider.. there is a Goldwing rider that rides that deals gap dragon that is a legend.. Crotch rocket racers have trouble staying within sight of him. Search out on Youtube "Goldwing Deals gap Dragon"

BUT.. I'm wanting to gather a few buddies for a ride.. not a race.. I hate visiting people in hospitals.. when egos collide and all that..
My bike is old.. and well used.. air ride just kinda oozes around corners..

I FOUND a link... There is others.. Putting a knee down? flopping the CG down there.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Guido
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTIOSryx9NU&feature=fvwrel

On any given Sunday-------Popular photo op alongside the Snake portion of the drive. Dawai, I'd take you up on your ride offer, but someday-------

--G

Black_Moons
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Haha.. Need a BC ridethrough someday! id join that...

Only problem is my bike only does 70kph tops, 60kph most of the time.. And nobody wants to hang around with someone who can only do 10kph over the average speed limit -_-; Pesky speeders!

'Need more power scotty!'
'Its all the power shes got captain I can't get a millihorse more!, its only a 66cc warp engine captain!'

Your Old Dog
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd be interested but I'm not much into iron butt riding. My iron has turned to lard.....or so I've been called.

Willy
07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
No.. I've always referred to it as push-pull.. it causes the bike to "flop" over.. instead of being forced by the rider.. Countersteer? can you describe to see if it is the same thing...........

Dave I think you've got it, even though you may not have been familiar with the the term "countersteer".

Basically it involves the act of initiating a turn by momentarily pushing forward slightly on the handlebars in the opposite direction of the intended direction.
Most who have ridden for a long time do it subconsciously.
Just for fun, when it's safe to do so, go down the road at about 30 mph and see what happens when you give the handlebars a quick push in one direction.
You will find that the bike will tend to go in the opposite direction, this is what initiates the turn, hence the name countersteer.
There are a whole lot of physics involved in the process, but we don't want to go there.:D

More here:

http://www.motorvike.com/MotoChat_Counter_Steering.htm

lynnl
07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
There is a SOUTHERN Grand Canyon here in Ga too.. and Fort Mountain.. (where the Moon-eyed vikings inter-married with Cherokee) Cloudland Canyon.. any more destination ideals?? Anybody got a real nice shop with some floor space for sleeping bags??

David...

You're not far from Little River Canyon, near Ft Paine, AL, home of the band "Alabama". I think it's touted as the deepest canyon east of the Mississippi. That would be a nice area to ride. Not sure if that's considered Lookout Mtn. or Sand Mtn. Sand Mtn. I think.

Could also visit Buck's Pocket. It's nearby.
NOTE: Buck's Pocket is a place, but it's also an expression. Local lore has it that when a politician loses an election, he is sent to Buck's Pocket, never to be heard from again. :D

Black_Moons
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Dave I think you've got it, even though you may not have been familiar with the the term "countersteer".

Basically it involves the act of initiating a turn by momentarily pushing forward slightly on the handlebars in the opposite direction of the intended direction.
Most who have ridden for a long time do it subconsciously.
Just for fun, when it's safe to do so, go down the road at about 30 mph and see what happens when you give the handlebars a quick push in one direction.
You will find that the bike will tend to go in the opposite direction, this is what initiates the turn, hence the name countersteer.
There are a whole lot of physics involved in the process, but we don't want to go there.:D

More here:

http://www.motorvike.com/MotoChat_Counter_Steering.htm

For extra fun, Find the edge of a road with a 1" drop or so, Ride up and align yourself with that EXACT edge, and be within an inch or two of it, then try and steer away from it without falling off the edge.

You can't do it on a 2 wheeled vehical.

Basicly, Without steering to the left to make the bike 'fall over' to the right, you can't turn to the right.

The Artful Bodger
07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Countersteer! Now there is a word that conjurs up more than it's fair share of BS, just the sort of word that could get a thread locked!:rolleyes:

Mcruff
07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
You're not far from Little River Canyon, near Ft Paine, AL, home of the band "Alabama". I think it's touted as the deepest canyon east of the Mississippi. That would be a nice area to ride. Not sure if that's considered Lookout Mtn. or Sand Mtn. Sand Mtn. I think.

Could also visit Buck's Pocket. It's nearby.
NOTE: Buck's Pocket is a place, but it's also an expression. Local lore has it that when a politician loses an election, he is sent to Buck's Pocket, never to be heard from again. :D

Nope its lookout mountain, I live on Sand mountain, the Albertville, Boaz area.

My son and I ride both of these ares all the time. The area in GA he is wanting to ride is beautiful country also.

sasquatch
07-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Dave, i,m a LONG ways from you guys,,, But i think you,ve come up with a GREAT idea!!

Hope you can get this organized, , then post some pics of the trip etc.

(Make sure ya got enough worms picked ahead of time for the chickens,, they,re going to miss ya probably!!):D

Dawai
07-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Willy... I am looking like I may have to ride myself.. two locals want me to fix their bikes so they can go.. and I can repair more on the road for them.. old bikes..

SO.. a old low harley, lean it, it drags.. skinning pipes, pegs.. if you flop a knee.. you can go a tad faster.. if you dip a shoulder you can some faster.. if you hang off the side like a sidecar racer.. you can go faster.. otherwise.. as you are dragging if you hit a crack, you bounce off the road..

On the Goldwing, he just dips a shoulder and knee.. like a crotch rocket racer..

dp
07-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Places Like Deals Gap, ie: the Dragon.. teaches people how to "sidecar" a harley.. if they don't
they exit the roadway. Lots of work to push it. A nice Leisurely ride is more what I am after
Grinding foot boards is fun.. for a minute.

The Dragon is a constant source of revenue for the local in-Blue fee collectors.

If you really want to go fast, you gotta trim the weight, bike and rider.. I've been on a diet now for about
ten years.. So.. All you young skinny people can pass me in any corner..

Ya know, the Dragon can be ridden in a leisurely fashion :)

I don't drag the floorboards like I used to. A fully loaded Road King is hardly a sport bike, of course, but once in a while, like going over Beartooth Pass in Montana, I'll throw some sparks. I'd like to ride Deals Gap once, but I'd like to smell the roses as I do it. There's some great roads in your area.

I've got a trip I've planned for Washington State which is a sedate romp to be sure. Maps at http://TheVirtualBarAndGrill.com/ under the RATSO run. I'd like to explore in detail our Scablands - the large area of Eastern WA that was flooded dozens of times during the last glacial period. The geography is pretty amazing as would be expected when a Great Lakes size lake bursts across the landscape.

Edit: And if you're in the Sacramento area (Jackson, specifically) in October, there's http://TheVirtualBarAndGrill.com/parties/

I'll be there.