PDA

View Full Version : Beach Umbrella Holder

brian Rupnow
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
This year my wife bought a beach umbrella for when we take the grandkids swimming. Nice thought, but the tubular shank is 7/8" diameter, with an inserted plastic "point" on the bottom. There is no way that you can get it far enough into the sand that some random puff of air doesn't send the umbrella tumbling down the beach. I searched around in my metal bin, and found a piece of pipe with a 13/16" i.d. and about a 3/16" wall. After a bit of lathe time, I bored it out to 7/8"+ and welded on a 12" long, 3/8" dia. mild steel shank and two "grab handles" of the same 3/8" dia. rod. a bit of black paint was added, and now we have something that can be easily pushed full depth into the beach sand and still has handles to grab and twist it out when we go home.---Brian
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/2011-07-26002.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn294/BrianRupnow/2011-07-26001.jpg

bborr01
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Nice job Brian.

That ought to keep the umrbella upright.

I suppose if the manufacturer wanted to incorporate something like that with a spike and all, liability would be a problem. Think Lawn Jarts.

Brian

dp
07-27-2011, 11:52 AM
If it gets really windy you could use one of these for an anchor :)

http://www.wellpromo.com/upload/upimg37/11--Stainless-Steel-Folding-St-239737.jpg

chriskat
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Couple of ways to get a beach umbrella deep enough into sand to stay.

First, dig a hole 2' deep and put the umbrella shaft in it before refilling the hole and tamping the sand with your foot. Of course that requires a shovel.

Second, push the "point" into the sand as far as you can. Now rotate the entire umbrella so that the top of the shaft is moving in a large (say 2-3') circular motion, don't spin the shaft. Do this while pushing down. The shaft will dig it's own hole and it's not too hard to get the shaft in a couple of feet.

Of course a hard point and a couple of grab handles will make it easier still.

Jeff

Your Old Dog
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think it will work Bri. You need to put some fins on the sharp end to keep it from moving sideways in the sand. A friend of mine had a 8" well casing 8feet long. He welded 4x8" fins at 90 degrees at both ends of the casing and droped it in a hole. He then filled the hole outside the casing with sand and later put a 40 foot ham radio tower on it. His yard was dirt but the hole was packed with sand. Think of these fins like a dart or arrow fletching.

lazlo
07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think it will work Bri. You need to put some fins on the sharp end to keep it from moving sideways in the sand.

Agreed -- I don't think that's going to work well without a set of fins. Plus, you really need to knock that sharp tip off, or you'll poke someone's eye out :)

Black_Moons
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I like it, BIG improvement over stock by the sound of it. Don't see much danger with the tip (Can't you people be given ANYTHING sharp and pointy without poken an eye out? Next you'll be telling me you put your eye out with a pitchfork, or a regular fork)

I think I might of mig filled the part beween the steak and the tube to make a smoother transition as it goes into the sand, and maybe reduce a bit of stress riser (though basicly its just gonna make it bend at a slightly diffrent place at near the same force), but moreso just to make it a little easyer to push into the sand and maybe look a little nicer.

A++. I allways love improvements over stock!

lazlo
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Can't you people be given ANYTHING sharp and pointy without poken an eye out?

You know how when you're heading off to the beach, and you throw all your stuff in a mesh or plastic bag? Now throw an 18" bayonet in there :p

More importantly, you're sticking it in sand, not through armor plate, so the tip could be flat and still work fine.