PDA

View Full Version : weapons

plunger
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Is it legal to make a gun in your own shop if it never fires a shot. I suppose each country has its own rules . I just seem to get the impression that the states is gun mad. Could you make your own gun and get a gun smith to pass it off .In my country you cant buy ammo if you don't have a gun license.They also make it very hard to get a gun license . Everyone had to re register if they had a gun. I have been waiting two years after doing a competency test and still have not heard a thing from the authorities

SteveF
07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
In the USA it is legal to make a firearm and fire it numerous times. :D

There are some restrictions, for example, you can't make a machinegun or other full auto weapons and some other minor restrictions, but in general you can make guns for yourself. No requirement to have a gunsmith or anyone else approve it.
Again, there are some restrictions in some states depending upon what you want to manufacture.

Steve

Evan
07-27-2011, 02:15 PM
It is different in every country. In Canada it is easy to get a license even for handguns but you aren't allowed to make your own.

Black_Moons
07-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Not sure, but I think the big problem in the USA with making a gun (or gun part) is selling it to someone else.

Best to check your local laws. Or go into the nearest police office and ask... And idealy record the name of whoever told you :P

bborr01
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Best to check your local laws. Or go into the nearest police office and ask... And idealy record the name of whoever told you :P

Rather than going to your locas law enfercement office and asking, I would email them. Then you will have a written reply by email.

Brian

macona
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Skip the police. The ATF is who you need to contact.

plunger
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't take a chance in my country. the laws are in favour of the criminal. You are not allowed to protect your property with a gun. You can only shoot someone if your life is in danger .And god forbid if you shoot him in the back. Just the other day a hijacker shot an electrician in a failed hijacking. The electrician died 2 weeks later leaving his family with an outrageous medical bill. The hijacker landed up in the same hospital and gets free medical attention for the gunshot wounds that he got when caught by the cops. I wanted to make a power head for sharks using a 9mm short because its the only ammo I can legally get. Hopefully if I am caught with it the cops would be to stupid to know what it is if it is dismantled.
I just don't know if it would have enough oomph. I remember when I was an apprentice I used to fish with my journeyman and he made one for a solid 12 gauge shot gun cartridge . He would screw it on the back of his gaff and if you hit the shark it would go off. I remember the first one he made was of brass and it distorted. The next one was of stainless and worked quite well.
Does any one have one of these he has made and do you think a 9mm short would not have enough stopping power?
If i can recall the bullet did little to the shark it was more the gaseous shock that did the damage.This is not to catch sharks its just for a little comfort in case i get buzzed by the big bull sharks that constantly steal our catch

gwilson
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I believe it is illegal to make a pistol out of a rifle. Anything over .60(or is it .50) caliber,breech loading is illegal,considered a destructive weapon.

Sawing a shotgun off too short is illegal. I THINK 16" is the shortest length barrel permitted. Rifle barrel length minimums are also set by law.

I am not an expert on modern guns,as I only ever make flintlocks.

Evan
07-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Plunger is in South Africa.

jep24601
07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Why not uae the compressed air cartrdges that the divers carry?

mike os
07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
.......where it is more or less illegal to be white or "non criminal",..............................."... you have the right to be robbed, raped, beaten, maimed and murdered, this may or may not be by the local law enforcement agency, anything you say, do or fail to do, think or own can and will be used against you........ you really think you will live long enough to see a court of law, punk?"

Carld
07-27-2011, 03:24 PM
In countries that don't allow law abiding citizens to own firearms all the citizens should become outlaws and buy a gun and start robbing and stealing. What other recourse do they have? Change the law you say. Not likely I say.

Those that have guns rule, those that don't are slaves.

Evan
07-27-2011, 03:26 PM
This will be locked momentarily.