PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Roller Tool Chest Review

GT1
07-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I decided I needed (wanted) a new roller tool cabinet the other day. I went to Sears and looked at what they had since I hadn't bought one in 20 years. Their lower end stuff was absolute junk and the better stuff was more expensive than what I wanted to pay. Today, I went in to Harbor Freight to pick up a disposable air hammer and happened to look at their 42" roller. With a coupon, the 13 drawer roller was $359. After giving it the once over, I decided to get it. The overall construction was good. The paint appearance was good. There were no sharp edges, all the edges were folded over. The castors were reasonably sized, rolled well and were equipped with grease fittings. The bottom end was well braced and the welds even appeared reasonable. The drawers all had seamed edges for strength and were mounted on ball bearing slides. I loaded the top drawer with about a hundred pounds of tooling and it opened relatively easily and did not sag appreciably. The lock worked smoothly. The roller came assembled (with the exception of the handle) in a well protected cardboard and wood crate. The drawers had thin rubber mats as well as labels to fit in the drawer fronts. It was predrilled and threaded for add-ons. While it is certainly not a Mac or a SnapOn, overall I thought it was a good deal; the comparable offering from Sears was $629.

platypus2020
07-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Over the last 2-3 years I've have bought 3 of the Harbor Freight #90320, bottom boxes, I believe that the one you got. I thought the quality was excellent and all of the slides are ball bearing. I've been very happy with the purchase.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

jack

photomankc
07-29-2011, 06:13 PM
One of the few things I have purchased from them that seemed like it was worth more than I paid for it. I have a 5 drawer as my CNC mill's control console and the two 8 drawer top and bottom chests in my garage. I really like them.

Black_Moons
07-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Iv had some problems with ball bearing slides.. from SEARS.

the shell that keeps all the ball bearings keeps getting kinda stuck on the right, so that after a few dozen opening/closing, the right side track (allways the right side.. on multiple drawers no less) 'sticks' about 2" before fully open, and you gotta force it a little

Worse still is one slide the rubber ball bearing retainer started comming outta the slide and I lost a few ball bearings.. need to get off my ass and replace that slide.

Impressive 42" toolchest. Around here nothing in 42" format is cheaper then like a grand. I went with the sears 26" style as it was on sale for like $400 + 300 for top chest.

RichTes
07-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Too bad they don't have a coupon bringing the bigger one down from it's normal $799 to $599. Really like that one.

Rich

PixMan
07-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm rockin' one Kennedy #297B (7 drawer) and one #295B (5-drawer). Both were bought at different times from local Craigslist sellers. Both in excellent condition, my total cost to date is $450. I admit that snagging the #295B for $100 was a once-in-a-lifetime kind of deal, but I like the fact that I've got two US-made roll-around cabinets for less than the price of one new. And I can get parts for them anytime, fast. In fact I did put those two rollarounds, plus my MC-28 riser and #52611 top box all on the same cylindrical-type key for about $25.

Dr Stan
07-29-2011, 08:25 PM
I have an older Sears box I bought in 1977 when I was discharged from the Navy that is still going strong. So when I was in the market for an additional box my first inclination was to go to Sears. Talk about junk! I also discovered most of their boxes are now made in China. I also looked at Sams, Lowes, Menards, Home Depot and finally at Harbor Freight. All of them are made in either China or Vietnam. I ended up buying the same roller cabinet at HF along with the top box http://www.harborfreight.com/red-roller-cabinet-top-chest-92099.html I caught them on sale and had coupons that also helped lower the price.

Overall I'm pleased. Nice ball bearing drawers, good fit & finish, paint, and casters. It's not a Snap-On, but then again it was not $5000.00.

Every now and then on can find a very good buy among all the junk at HF.

TOOLZNTHINGS
07-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Hello,

Bought the bottom cabinet and put a maple bench top on it for a workbench.
Added hardwood blocks to bottom in place of the casters which made the height just right for me. Makes a nice work bench.

Brian

flylo
07-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I just bought the large top, bottom, side & full height locker from Harbor Freight & couldn't be happier. It's as good a quality as I've seen. The only drawback is my keys don't match so i have 4 keys.
They also have a 96" bottom box reg $999 for $699 for buyer club members or $799 in the Aug flyer. I researched this & found it's the same box sears has for $3999, Northern Tool has on sale for $3199. All imported by Larin one of the biggest tool box companies. Harbor Freight only has it in red, Sears offers red, black & I think blue & sells a top box to match. It's a heck of a deal. I got 20% off sale prices but they've tightened up on this. Check it out you can't do better than this.

hardtail
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Iv had some problems with ball bearing slides.. from SEARS.

the shell that keeps all the ball bearings keeps getting kinda stuck on the right, so that after a few dozen opening/closing, the right side track (allways the right side.. on multiple drawers no less) 'sticks' about 2" before fully open, and you gotta force it a little

Worse still is one slide the rubber ball bearing retainer started comming outta the slide and I lost a few ball bearings.. need to get off my ass and replace that slide.

Impressive 42" toolchest. Around here nothing in 42" format is cheaper then like a grand. I went with the sears 26" style as it was on sale for like $400 + 300 for top chest.

BM's google Peavy Mart for better deals on chests........

Dawai
07-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Looking back.. it was ten years ago I bought a top of the line Craftsman rolling tool chest
for less than $350.. winter time, sale going on. Has quality roller drawer slides and large lowers have have
had more than 60lbs of tools in them since, uppers are so full you can hardly close them.
You had to join a craftsman club to get a deeper discount. No problems.. Made overseas. No clue where..
Most all their stuff now is over priced crap. Typical american marketing.

I have two HF tool carts with roller drawers.. very happy with them. Less than $100 each.
Great to tear down a project on to keep separated from the other projects.

HF.. well buy it while you can.. THE Iranians, A few more oil countries quit taking
the US treasuries bonds for oil from the Chinese, so they started re routing the cargo containers
Barter system.. That way.. soon, there will be a HF lathe, tool chest in every mud hut over there.

Making weapons of mass destruction, one crappy tolerance part at a time.

justanengineer
07-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Ive honestly been pretty impressed by what Ive seen of the HF boxes, much as it pains me to say it. IMHO Cman, Kennedy, Husky, Kobalt....all seriously overpriced crap. At least the HF boxes are decently priced.

My personal box is an 11 drawer Vidmar on a heavy duty cart with a Cman top box on top to house my measuring tools. I assembled that combo because I became rather tired of "toolboxes" with drawers that sagged and wouldnt open. The dream box Im hoping to replace it with is a Vidmar roll cab with benchtop built in.

Did anybody else notice Mr. Fadal himself had one of the big HF boxes in the youtube videos in his garage?

flylo
07-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I saw it. same model I have.