PDA

View Full Version : OT:UK Royal mail query

.RC.
07-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Anyone here from the UK able to help me...

Am trying to get a price to get a 2kg item sent from the UK to Australia..

So I go on the royal mail website to get a price and it tells me 14 pounds small parcel surface mail and 24 pounds surface mail..

So I try to find out what a small parcel is and cannot find it anywhere on the site...

Ok I will email them to find out... They have no option for emailing them such a question, the only option is for business customers.. They say ring them up for personal mail questions... fantastic 21st century organisation...(did myfords own them?)

So can anyone in the UK find out what a small parcel actually is (all it says is up to 2kg) and what is the difference between small parcel surface mail and surface mail?

John Stevenson
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
My post office clerk has gone to bed.
Dare not wake her or the world as we know it will end and everyone will finish up with a Bridgeport, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Will ask in the morning, she will know as she ships to Oz regularly.

bob ward
07-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Richard, Parcel Force is the arm of the UK postal system that handles larger items. http://www2.parcelforce.com/

.RC.
07-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi Bob, thanks for the link, but they are more expensive then Royal mail.... 50 pounds for standard airmail for 2kg... 41 pounds for surface mail...

aboard_epsilon
08-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Hi Bob, thanks for the link, but they are more expensive then Royal mail.... 50 pounds for standard airmail for 2kg... 41 pounds for surface mail...

that's why they are known as parcel farce.

all the best.markj

EVguru
08-01-2011, 06:32 AM
ParcelForce are sometimes referred to as ParcelFarce.

I tend to use someone like Interparcel (some people preffer parcel2go). They have an online calculator.

.RC.
08-01-2011, 07:08 AM
blowed if I know but all those other options are all coming up 30 pounds up to 80 pounds.... all for 2kg...

Is parcel freight in the UK hugely expensive... I am used to USPS postage where you can ship 20lbs (or in one case 20kg) to Au for US$60.

small.planes
08-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Small parcels are defined by a set of dimensions.
see here:
http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/delivery-options-international/surface-mail/faqs#1600031

hth
Dave

.RC.
08-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Yes I did see that but was unsure if it was small parcel, large parcel, etc.. It seemed a bit vague to me.. Because in the surface mail prices it has a price for something that just says surface mail

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/OzRinger/mail.jpg

small.planes
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
assuming it fits within the size restrictions send it small packet.
Surface mail is a generic term iirc for all surface (i.e. boat) mail, letters, parcels, etc.
Letter is for letters, printed papers is for printed papers (books etc), small packet is for generic small packets (parcels).

hth
Dave

Peter S
08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Sometimes when I order a few books surface post from Britain (e.g. Camden Books), they came in a 'M Bag'. This is a large sack. It always seemed cheaper than the normal surface post. I inquired about this at a Post office in the UK and was told it wasn't available to the public. I got the impression it was only available to companies like book sellers etc.

Sometimes I state with my order: "Surface mail, no insurance or tracking required, all risks accepted", because some sellers will not use the cheapest methods which don't have insurance.