PDA

View Full Version : OT GPS tracker?

Black Forest
08-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Any of you know anything about gps style trackers? We want to have one for our daughter when she is riding out in the forest. Often in the forest we don't have good cell phone coverage. So we were thinking of a GPS tracker of some sort with a cell phone option and panic button.

I am now investigationg what is out there.

Stuart Br
08-01-2011, 05:12 AM
You say "forest", how thick is the forest cover? You will struggle to get good GPS reception with any significant tree cover.

ikdor
08-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I think newer generations of GPS have far less trouble with the vegetation than the older ones.

Sorry, I don't have recommendations for a unit. But with the cheap combined GPS/GSM modules on the market, there should be something like that available.

Otherwise, have some student whip it up as a project :)

Igor

Benta
08-01-2011, 07:48 AM
If you don't have cell phone coverage, how is the panic button supposed to work?

Benta.

Bob_W
08-01-2011, 08:20 AM
BF:

I use one of the 'Spot" GPS units since it relies on satellite instead of cell phone. I fortunately have not had to use it for emergency, but I do turn it on while hiking or traveling so that others I have selected can monitor my location. It transmits once every 10 minutes. You will need to check to see if it has coverage in Germany.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

Bob

Black Forest
08-01-2011, 08:30 AM
The panic button might not work granted. My thinking was that if our daughter was not back when she said she would we could locate her or at least that last spot she had satelite connection. Most times the cell phone does work but there are spots that it doesn't work.

Dennis WA
08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GPS_Receivers/GPS_Tracker/GLOBALSAT_TR203_GPS_TRACKER_AND_DATA_LOGGER.html

I suggest you try these folk to get your question answered. I have no connection with them, nor I have purchased any product.

batt-man
08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I have one of these units
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spot2-Personal-Tracker-Satellite-Messenger/dp/B002PHRDO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312212743&sr=8-1

Eldest son (19 yr old) is heavily into outdoor sports including rock climbing and stuff.

Regularly travels with his mates (a couple of them have these as well) to deepest darkest wales for days on end - with this we can see where he is and if there's a major problem they press a button and help arrives asap.

Not particularly cheap but worth it for my/swmbo peace of mind...

Batt

Dawai
08-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Please forward any information gathered...

I too am interested.. perhaps a data logger with hourly updates... for the old hotrods and harley.

Didn't they do this with some cell phone-walkie talkies once??

Perhaps I need to change cell phone companies??

macona
08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
There is an Iphone app called GPS Tracker that uploads you current position to a map that you can view online. Its free. Its intended for hikers and the like. There is another called Trailguru.

Bob_W
08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
BF

The Spot (see previous post) has a panic button, but it still has the ability to monitor it's position via web site. It will show a track of the units location based on satellite communication and not cell tower communication. It will work in the middle of the ocean. If the track is not moving that could indicate a problem, the GPS lost the position fix, or it was dropped.... My daughter bought one for me and even included the roadside service option available in the states. Since I travel to places with limited or no cell service this should work ok.

I don't have any connection to the company, I just happen to have one.

Bob

HAP
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
The GPS tracker feature really shortens battery charge...

dockrat
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
BF:

I use one of the 'Spot" GPS units since it relies on satellite instead of cell phone. I fortunately have not had to use it for emergency, but I do turn it on while hiking or traveling so that others I have selected can monitor my location. It transmits once every 10 minutes. You will need to check to see if it has coverage in Germany.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

Bob

+1 on the Spot unit. It is strictly satelite and also has a "here I am, come rescue me" button. Also anyone that you have set up on the Spot web page will get a txt msg on thier cell phone and an email showing lat-long of the users whereabouts and a link to google maps showing the location. It DOES have coverage in Germany. I tracked my son as he made a traverse over the Alps. Was very neat!!

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=109

Edit to say that Bob pretty much covered it while I was typing. Hap, My son seldom uses the 10 minute tracker thing for the battery reason. He just presses the "here I am button" maybe 4 times a day. One thing I started to insist on though was that he send a msg when he came out of the bush at the end of a trip. To start with he never did that so that the last msg i got could be 10 miles in the bush then never hear from him for days sometime leaving me to think is he in trouble at the last location or home sipping on a beer and watching tv LOL