PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the shop!!!!

jeremy13
08-01-2011, 10:14 PM
This will make things a lot nicer in the shop. A new 2 Ĺ ton AC. Itís a mini split system. Man this thing is quiet you have to get in the air stream to tell if it is on. We have it set on 80 right now donít want to get spoiled. But trust me 80 is better than 105 outside and thatís not the feels like temp either. We installed it ourselves and had the AC man come and pull the vacuum and open the refrigerant lines up. I went ahead and did the nitrogen purge and the 150psi leek check. I left the gauge on it for 48 hours. My understanding is it has a DC inverter and ramps up and down the compressor and fan motors according to demand. The FLA is only 16ampís. Thatís the inside unit to. You hook up the inside unit to the outside unit with an 18ga 4par shielded wire. This is the way to go for a shop in my opinion.
http://i52.tinypic.com/9lk3me.jpg
Copper thieves will need a ladder for this unit.
http://i52.tinypic.com/f9giza.jpg

DFMiller
08-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Very nice.
A hot shop takes all the fun out of your day.
Those split units look really nice.
Dave

Black_Moons
08-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Nice! Efficent too. What did it cost ya? :)

jeremy13
08-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I got lucky on this one. My real job is at a propane company and we do most of are wholesale buying with them. And since they sale plumbing and AC supplies. He gave it to me at cost. And I have to hook up the owners generator at his house. So just under $1500 out the door.

3jaw
08-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I was just wondering how big your shop is. I am getting ready to build a 30 x 40 x 12 shop and I want to heat and cool it. That looks like a nice unit!

It's in the high 90's and humid in Kentucky. I HATE hot weather!!!

jeremy13
08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
We have a 20X25 shop with 12' at the highest point. The cool of the shop was not planed for and we only have the foil backed bubble wrap for insulation. We ended up doubling the cooling capacity of the unit. The bubble wrap has a R value of only 6 I think. We are in the planning stage of adding more insulation.

wierdscience
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I got lucky on this one. My real job is at a propane company and we do most of are wholesale buying with them.

Do you know Hank Hill?:D

Congrats,those are great units,several folks here have them and they work great.

Paul Alciatore
08-03-2011, 01:02 AM
I was just wondering how big your shop is. I am getting ready to build a 30 x 40 x 12 shop and I want to heat and cool it. That looks like a nice unit!

It's in the high 90's and humid in Kentucky. I HATE hot weather!!!

AC and heat load are sized better by the amount of power used inside (EVERY single Watt of it WILL become heat inside the shop), amount of insulation, how well the cracks are sealed, and the amount of heat/cold absorbed by the roof and walls. If you are building, pay particular attention to these. Good doors and windows to keep the building well sealed. Make the walls thicker than absolutely necessary and use as much insulation as you can. Insulation is a dirt cheap way of saving later. And there is only one color for the roof: the brightest white you can get. Pay attention to details now and it will cost you far less in the long run.

I am trying to retrofit a garage for my shop and it is far harder to tackle these areas later.